NRM November-December

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

I've started my collection of photos from November-December, so far not a lot has happened, mainly bits of shunting, but Evening Star, Maude and the LMS 'crab' are set to go to the NRM in the next month or two and there is the model railway show this weekend (6th & 7th)

http://william.fotop...t/c1913242.html

My plan is to go to the NRM every Thursday so the updates will be every Thursday or Friday depending if there's anything to report.

post-6756-025691600 1288882985_thumb.jpg

That's an interesting weathering project for Russup!

Guest 838rapid

I popped in the NRM yesterday.

I asked them if Evening Star is meant to be carrying the 51A shed plate (York) even though it has only been based there under preservation as it was a Western Region loco during its BR service.

This caused a bit of fuss with one of them trying to find out why.

Also commented that it was nice to see KGV still wearing the 81A shed plate(Swindon).

Keep up the good work though guys

• RMweb Premium

Keeping up the good work is all very well but I wonder how many folk on here are aware of the NRM's plans to rip out most of the tracks from around the turntable and replace the locomotives there with various boxes containing "interactive" playbooth things for children? To me, the NRM is all about that turntable and the locos around it. It appears in almost all publicity about the museum and is one of only a couple of places in the country where such a scene can be observed.

I was approached by a bloke with a clipboard and some proposed designs at the museum a few years ago and this option was clearly the preferred one then.

The artists impression was twice as big as any of the other proposals and the chap spent more time explaining it.

My view then, as it is now, is that it is an appalling travesty! By all means have interactive playbooths for the children but NOT at the expense of the iconic view of the museum. There is plenty of room in other buildings or even parts of the main building.

I have spoken with somebody on the "Council of Friends" and they say that it is done deal and cannot be stopped.

Perhaps this is one area where some government cuts might put paid to the idea.

Guest stuartp

My view then, as it is now, is that it is an appalling travesty!

From the people who brought you the careful and sympathetic preservation of the only surviving double roundhouse in the country:

NRM+

One of the stated aims is 'greater access to the collection' but whether that means more exhibits isn't clear. I hope it doesn't finish up like Imperial War Museum North - nice building but where's the museum ?

• RMweb Premium

I fear that the NRM is going the same way as the Transport for London Museum at Covent Garden. They spent a long time and a lot of money and now we have a great playground for kids but where are the Trams and all the other large exhibits that seem to have vanished.

Sadly the Science Museum is the same, it used to have lots of interesting exhibits with full explanations, now it is a game show for the kids.

I used to love the old Clapham Museum and have been to the NRM three times over the last ten years. If they wreck it then I won't be going again.

Chris

Guest 838rapid

Yes have to agree.

It was a travisty when they removed the second turntable,let alone destroy the area around the surviving one.

Perhaps the cuts will end the nonsense of NRM+.

Why do we need history dumbed down to suit the younger generations?

Its like the programs on t.v which seem to have to repeat themselves 20 times incase we forgot quite why we were watching it from the start.

I always understood that York was chosen as the site for the NRM as it was a true Railway building and contained Railway architecture :blink: .

Have read in the past that thoughts were given of setting the museum up on the airfield at Wroughton near Swindon,which would have allowed a massive area for a decent running line.

But York won,what a loss in Hindsight.

I was told that Evening Star carries a York shedplate as it run mainline from York in preservation :rolleyes: .

So I quiped well I hope that God forbid no one decides to paint the loco 4472 in lillac to match the York signs as thats the in vogue colours for York at the moment.

The guy I spoke to seemed to be off the feeling that they are told what to do by the heads and thats what goes.

• RMweb Premium

Have read in the past that thoughts were given of setting the museum up on the airfield at Wroughton near Swindon,which would have allowed a massive area for a decent running line.

But York won,what a loss in Hindsight.

Wroughton would have been a bad move. Getting locos there would have been a right pain, you wouldn't want to follow one on a lorry up the hill towards the site. Public access without a car is also very hard when compared to York.

• RMweb Gold

I cannot see the point of boarding up the turn table, the cynic in me says that it is some H&S paranoia, that someone will climb over the fence and fall into the pit or under the turn table if it is moving. But I am starting to feel that it will be a dumbed down playground essentially with some trains in it. :(

Archived