Fairfield Jnc - OO Lenz/Touchcab DCC layout, 50's/60's era (updated Oct 2016)

250BOB

Great video Bob. Like the the sound of that WC, must get round to fitting the Howes chip in my 34041. It's been sitting on the shelf a few weeks now.

Playing trains and having fun is what's it's all about.

Ray.

Great video Bob. Like the the sound of that WC, must get round to fitting the Howes chip in my 34041. It's been sitting on the shelf a few weeks now.

Playing trains and having fun is what's it's all about.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

The Howes chip in my video was a bit experimental. Big Jim brought it round to give it a test out.....again it was a Howes chip, but with the Clank sound reduced....but we both thought it was reduced too far.......but the 3 beat exhaust sound is awesome.

Bob

Good to see the layout coming on so well Bob.

Enjoyed the video and photos.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Good to hear from you, been a while since we caught up.....glad you enjoyed the update.......I'll keep them coming now and again. I see Dave hasnt commented on my signals, or lack of, on this occasion.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I feel a bit of a dummy as i can't seem to get my youtube video embeded in a post like yours. All I end up with is a link to the youtube site, so I thought I'd ask the expert. The bit in the RMWeb guide pages doesn't seem to work either, you just end up with the link again.

My WC is still waiting it's sound decoder as I got distracted having a go at building trackwork.

Regards

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

I feel a bit of a dummy as i can't seem to get my youtube video embeded in a post like yours. All I end up with is a link to the youtube site, so I thought I'd ask the expert. The bit in the RMWeb guide pages doesn't seem to work either, you just end up with the link again.

My WC is still waiting it's sound decoder as I got distracted having a go at building trackwork.

Regards

Ray.

The way I have managed it is as follows:

Load the video in youtube.

Below the video, click on the 'share' button.

Click on 'embed' and copy and paste the code they present you with

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Bob. I've played around with some Metcalfe buildings, but like you say you have to touch up the corners. I'll keep a lookout for some Super quick at the next show I go to. Santa bought me one of those static grass thingies, all I need now is a layout to try it on.

Ray.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob.

Nice to see a few Southern loco's on the layout, I love the look of that Q1. Did I detect the new double slip? Guess this is the one with the frog juicer wizardry.

Keep the video's coming.

All the best.

Ray.

Edit. Forgot to ask - did you try a Zimo in your Britannia, or did you eventually get it going with the Lenz?

My carpet underlay works well for surface mounted point motors.

The underlay, primarily for sound deadening, is 5 or 6mm thick, and does the job really well. I have just started putting my first point motors in place, and the surface mounted ones fit into holes cut out of the underlay quite perfectly. I join the point motor to the hole in the centre of the point tie bar, with a piece of 1.2mm brass rod, bent at 90degrees at each end.

I'm grateful for help on this subject from "Bike2steam" on here.

here are some pics of my first attempts. As you will see from the last two pics, I eventually opted to put this particular motor on the opposite side of the point, but others will drop into the underlay as shown, then be covered completely flat with some paper and painted grey to disgiuse.

Bob

post-21-0-90248000-1331761110_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-15295300-1331761134_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-46399400-1331761160_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-74614500-1331761183_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-13570600-1331761211_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-06914400-1331761232_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-50938200-1331761256_thumb.jpg

Replaced two points with a double slip last week. I had previously avoided this, as I am not using under baseboard point motors that I could have used for switching polarity. So I used a Frog Juicer to automatically switch the polarity....works absolutely faultlessly.

Bob

post-21-0-18958600-1331976227_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-04187300-1331976333_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-99204300-1331976348_thumb.jpg

Replaced two points with a double slip last week. I had previously avoided this, as I am not using under baseboard point motors that I could have used for switching polarity. So I used a Frog Juicer to automatically switch the polarity....works absolutely faultlessly.

Bob

Hi Bob.

I've just started work on my bedroom layout and will be using a double slip in the fiddle yard with surface mount motors. I thinking of using a frog juicer as well to switch this as well as the other points in the yard.

My slip (peco code 75 electrofrog) has four connection wires attached but i noted from your picture you only have two connected to the juicer. Was this taken before the wiring was complete? I'd be interested to know how you've wired it.

Ray.

Hi Bob.

I've just started work on my bedroom layout and will be using a double slip in the fiddle yard with surface mount motors. I thinking of using a frog juicer as well to switch this as well as the other points in the yard.

My slip (peco code 75 electrofrog) has four connection wires attached but i noted from your picture you only have two connected to the juicer. Was this taken before the wiring was complete? I'd be interested to know how you've wired it.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

First of all...the frog juicer has to be powered, as you can see by the two connections coming in at the top of the picture, these wires both are from my powerbus.

Then, the two orange wires go to the frog wires on the double slip.

But also, you have two more wires on the slip, the ones at the centre, on either side of the point. They just have to be wired to a power source, again, straight from the powerbus.

Hope thats clear.........I didnt believe it could be so simple ay first, but it rreally is one of the simplest wiring jobs I have ever done. I have now fitted it under the baseboard properly, and made a really tidy job of it. Let me know if you want to see some more pics to explain it better.

Bob.

But also, you have two more wires on the slip, the ones at the centre, on either side of the point. They just have to be wired to a power source, again, straight from the powerbus.

Bob.

Hi Bob.

That's very clear, I was wondering what the extra two wires were for as they seem to be connected to the stock rails.

Will get a frog juicer on order.

Ray.

Hi Bob.

That's very clear, I was wondering what the extra two wires were for as they seem to be connected to the stock rails.

Will get a frog juicer on order.

Ray.

Great.......glad you are now ok with the explanation........you wont regret the decision, especially as you are going to use surface point motors. Its a bit of an expensive option, but the simplicity is worth every penny.

Bob

Bob, Love the layout. Despite the comments about scenery, I see that you have laid the track (in places) directly onto some form of detailed sheets. Some of the shots show a paved flooring, some show what appears to be cobbles. Am I seeing this right, and if so what did you use for the cobbled areas? Thanks, Mike

Hi Micky

I used carpet underlay to lay the track on...if you look closely at the point motor pics on post #67....you will see a cross section picture of the underlay. It has a backing on the green sponge whic appears to be sewn on....I painted this grey....I suppose it does look a bit paved or cobbled.

Hope that answers you question.

Bob

Archived