Moscow - Nice service

Welly

• RMweb Premium

Brief ( 6 mins long ) YouTube clip about a revived direct train service from Moscow to Nice. 1200 euros for the first class ticket!

No mention of changing track gauge at all.

Now will James Bond take a girl on board that train out of Moscow?? I still remember the express train out of Istanbul apparently hauled by a Black 5 and that cut to the motions! :D

This week I was on Brussles Midi station looking at the train formation boards - now these would be ideal for people such as RobertC. The service to Moscow is listed with coaches for Berlin, Warsaw and single coaches each for Minsk & Moscow.

Friends that have done trips to/from Russian 5' to standard gauge say that there are locations where the bogie swaps take place. This involves lifting the body slide SG out and then slide in BG ones.

Depending on the Moscow to Nice route will depend on where these are changed. (I first read the topic as Moscow a nice service.) See www.bahn.co.uk as ever for timings.

I'm planning on a trip to Moscow in 2011.

Wiki has a page on locations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogie_exchange as ever take with a pinch of salt info on Wiki.

Guest Max Stafford

Last year, Tony Graham and I road the Moscow-Berlin sleeper.

OK, it was only from Berlin Ost to Hbf and we bunged the Russian conductor 10 Euros for the privilege, but it was worth it! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

The full route is listed in the last issue of Todays Railways Europe. I can't remember which border the gauge change is at. If I can find the issue I'll post the info. I know it comes down through Austria and Italy then via Genoa and Ventigmilia to Nice. It will also have plenty of loco changes with the last one being at Ventigmilia.

Jamie

Archived