Amazon Kindle

edcayton

Hope this is the right place. My blind friend is considering buying one of these on the strength of its "read to me" feature. Does anyone here have any knowledge/experience of this or any other of the e-readers (if that is the correct term)?

Any comments gratefully received

Ed

• RMweb Gold

I found the speech to text facility. It's an "experimental" feature so I don't think they are making any claims for it. Personally I don't think it's there yet - on the piece of text I tried it on, it was impossible to follow dialogue breaks between different characters, meaning that it would be very hard to get much sense of it unless one had the original text to refer to. But I do not have any experience with any other such systems, and it may be that the raw text file I was using may not have contained sufficient embedded information with regard to paragraph spacing, and so on, for the reader to do it justice.

Hope this is the right place. My blind friend is considering buying one of these on the strength of its "read to me" feature. Does anyone here have any knowledge/experience of this or any other of the e-readers (if that is the correct term)?

Any comments gratefully received

Ed

They're brilliant - highly recommended !!

Archived