Stripping back to brass

georgeT

Hello, Decided to go back to O gauge as l built a couple of kits about a year ago, really enjoyed it, so much more to building a loco than you would think, but a lot of fun too, the two locos are all finished but l had made some big errors which need putting right, could anyone tell me of a better way to strip these locos down to brass again, l have use cellulose thinners but just cant get rid of the awful smell any comments would be helpful thanks

George

I would recommend paint stripper just a cheap one will do and an old tooth brush.

post-6665-099719600 1289483461_thumb.jpg

post-6665-092667800 1289483470_thumb.jpg

post-6665-015111600 1289483484_thumb.jpg

post-6665-091328400 1289483491_thumb.jpg

post-6665-007003400 1289483440_thumb.jpg

The hard part is cleaning off the paint striper I found a pressure washer is the best way as it blasts the paint from all the fiddly bits.

I hope this helps?

Pete

All stripper give off fumes. I have found that Mr Muscle overnight in a plastic bag ( check for holes !) gives good results. Bin the bag afterwards and bathe the model in hot water. Use a toothbrush and an airbrush and neat water for blasting the seams and crannies.

It has the benefit of not attacking plastic and not being fumy in operation. Takes longer though.

For instant results, use Nitromors ( I think it comes water soluble now ) and jet blast outside. You still need a stiff brush though.

For instant results, use Nitromors ( I think it comes water soluble now ) and jet blast outside. You still need a stiff brush though.

One word of caution. If you have built your kit with some resin and 'plastic' components or have used glues (but you would have soldered it all - right?) then you may find bits falling off or being dissolved.

After beeing told several times by 2 friends to use caustic soda. One teasponefull with 1 pint of luke warm water in a plastic container ( food box £1 at Tesco). Works a treat on metal and plastic, not too good with black paint which has been painted on to bare metal though. Leave a hour or so then check to see if it comes off, if not leave another half hour and check again. keep doing this till all the paint floats off

Archived