Hessle Model Railway Group inaugural open day

the penguin of doom

Hi all.

Firstly, thanks for looking in on this thread.

I am pleased to announce that the Hessle Model Railway Group have decided to take the plunge and open our doors to show to the public what we do. As its our first foray into this, we have decided to have a small "Model Railway Show" in the form of an open day event to be held on Saturday 14th May 2011 in the Main Hall, within Hessle town hall near Hull.

As plans progress, I will keep this, (and the Hessle MRG's thread), updated with developments, but initial plans will hopefully see some of our friends from the Hull MRS exhibiting a layout or two, as well as some of our current projects being given a public airing. Battersby North End will be making its first "Home appearance" although, by the time of the show this will be its 5th outing and the groups N gauge layout will be making its debut - and will hopefully have an official name by then!.....

There will also be a few local groups involved, the Hessle Local History group and the Humber Rescue hope to be there too to give our group some support.

As we are a very small group with little in the way of funds, we will not be trying to run before we can walk, but I - as open day manager - would like to extend a warm welcome to all those RMwebbers out there who may be able to pop over and pay us a visit. It would certainly be nice to meet some of you on the day and chew the crud.

Well, thats all for now, but should any of you require further details, please feel free to contact me via the forum. I will keep you posted of any developments as they happen, but for now,

Happy Modelling.

Sean and The Hessle Model Railway Group.

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Firstly, thanks to Norm (above) for your support, however, read on before you make plans....

Having got our hopes up and certainly having alot of plans for our open day, we were at the stage where a bid had gone in to our local council for a £300 grant to help with the costs of hiring the local town hall. The meeting, (and decision), had been put off over the Christmas period and late last week, we were sad to hear that our bid had been unsuccessful.

Whilst all the members are miffed to say the least, especially as the grant would have come from the local council and gone straight back to them, (all be it a different department), it is understandable in the current financial climate that even a comparably small request could be declined and I'm led to believe that no grants have been awarded by the council on this occasion. Given the short space of time between now and the proposed date of 14/05/2011 we thought it was probably a little impractical to try and secure other funding or sponsorship and still have the time to organise the show.

This has left the group without the proverbial paddle so to speak. We are a small group with little disposable cash - indeed, we were hoping to bank some funds from the open day - and so are left with no other option at this point than to cancel our open day. We apologise to anyone who had made plans to come to the open day, but we are adamant that at some point in the future, we will be able to secure funds to re - organise the event and stage a fantastic little show.

With this in mind, please keep checking in on what we're up to over the coming months and I hope to have good news in the future.

Cheers for now.

Sean and the Hessle Model Railway Group.

Have you considered a different venue?

Peter

Hi Peter.

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, it's not so much about the venue, but more so about raising the funds to pay for it. You see, we have VERY limited disposable income and nowhere near the £300 quid needed for the hall which was actually very reasonable if you'd seen the size of the room were hoping to hire.

Hey ho.

Sean.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

As the saying goes, every cloud has a Silver lining, I'm VERY pleased to announce that we have re-submitted our bid to the local council this year and been successful this time.:yahoo:

This obviously means that we will now be able to stage our open day, all be it at a much later date.

The date for your diary is the 1st October 2011 at the Hessle Town Hall, South Lane, Hessle, East Yorkshire, HU13 0RR.

We still have lots to do and the work is really only just beginning. I am currently sending out emails, but hope to have some idea of a line up in the near future. In the mean time, please feel free to look in on this thread and post any thoughts etc you may have on the subject.

Cheers for now.

(a very happy, but stressed), Sean.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Peter, I'll try keep you posted about developments via PM as the open day draws nearer......

The really good news is that we now physically have the grant in our account and so we're DEFINATELY on this time. Now begins the hard work for this novice exhibition manager of actually turning the idea into reality. I'll not take all the credit though as all our members are very committed to this project and are all there in the wings ready to take on any tasks delegated to them.....:laugh:

There is no formal line up at the moment, but within a few weeks, I hope to be able to announce a line up of layouts attending. rest assured, as this is our first trip to exhibitionville, we will be keeping it simple and not try to over stretch ourselves.

I can tell you that all three of the Hessle MRG layouts will be making an appearance. Battersby North End, some may have seen, and our N gauge layout should be complete and working at its first outing. I must learn the N gauge layouts name!..... "Bridshed" will also be there, although it is far from complete, all scenic trackwork is down and we will hopefully have something running. I will hopefully be showing off some of "the penguins" recent projects on a demo stand and Alan will be showing off some of his excellent buildings too.

Hopefully much more to announce as and when we get the nod from the relevant people, but for now, stay tuned.

Cheers.

Sean and the Hessle MRG members.

A note has been made of the date Sean! :)

Thanks James.

It'll be good to catch up with you there over a cuppa.....:yes:

Don't forget the T-P then Sean :happy_mini:

If by T - P you mean 00 Trans Pennine, it goes without saying it'll be making an appearance...... Didn't take long for word to get back to you though Pennine eh? :lol:

Cheers.

Sean.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Thanks for looking in. Things have been progressing nicely over the last few weeks and we now have three layouts confirmed as visiting as well as our own three layouts and a possible fourth visiting layout from a fellow RMwebber, (I have to send out a PM first, but it all adds to the excitement!).

We also have two displays planned. On a purely self righteous pedestal, I've been asked to display some of my models which regular visitors to my threads will have seen. Alan will hopefully be putting his model of Bridlington station on show, (again, an occasional thread can be found on here), and may also display some of his other magnificent models. I can't say too much at the moment, but I'm hoping a very popular RMwebber may be attending too and displaying some of his awesome models. More of this to follow if plans fall into place.

Negotiations are also in place to have some form of trade stand attending too, but again, once plans for this are more formal, I'll make an official announcement.

So, who will be visiting? Our friends from floor 1 and a half at the Hessle Town Hall will be exhibiting Bonchester Bridge - a 12' layout based around 1960's BR Scottish Region and Port Pennan - a 6' ScR layout based in the 70's. I've seen both before and was most impressed.

The Brook Model Railway is a 12' x 8' G scale layout based around a 1940's town scene operated by local members of the 16mm association. They use their own steam powered loco's and there is often a battery powered locomotive that members of the public can drive. I have not seen this layout before but it sounds most impressive and I for one will want to have a go at driving!

The next "hurdle" for me is to ask readers out there in RMweb land if they could forward me any details of local, (or not so local), club secretaries so we can post them a flyer or two in the hope of letting their members know about our open day and inviting them along if they're in the area. I'm sure there will be a list somewhere, but I'm not sure where or how to go about "cold calling", so thought this was the best way.

So, that's all for now. It's all shaping up to be a great day.

Cheers for looking in.

Sean.

Sounds like it'll be a good show. I'll mention it to everyone at BNNRS and have made a note of it in the diary, so I will hopefully be there!

Excellent Mike.

That's just the sort of response we're looking for. Please mention it to your folks in Bassetlaw and you'll be sure of a warm welcome.

Thanks again.

Sean.

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

As the date for the open day draws near, I felt I had better update the thread! I have been away for the last 5 weeks, so last night was the first time in a while that I'd been up to our club night. I'm pleased to say that in my absence, the chaps have been hard at work sorting out the event.

The Mayor of Hessle will be officially opening the event at 1030 in the morning and the event closes at 1630.

I'm especially pleased to say that we have sorted out the purchase of refreshments - we all know how well the tea and coffee flow at these events!

The date for your diary is the 1st October 2011 at the Hessle Town Hall, South Lane, Hessle, East Yorkshire, HU13 0RR. Hessle is a small town just outside of Hull. Train services are hourly from York, Doncaster, Leeds and Hull, although a change at Brough may be required. There is an extremely regular bus service from Hull city centre, (the interchange is next to the railway station), and those driving should find easy parking within walking distance from the venue. There is a large free car park to the rear of the Co-op in the square and lots more on street parking nearby.

Entry is ONE POUND only and accompanied children go free.

If you're an RMwebber and intending to come along, please feel free to PM me before attending or post a reply here if you require any further information. The kettle will be on all day and we are all looking forward to meeting for a good old fashioned chin wag!

Just ask at the door for the Penguin..... I'll be the one looking most stressed out!

We really hope to see you there.

Cheers.

Sean and the HMRG members.

As one of the groups layouts, Battersby North End will be on display, see photos below;

post-432-0-63171000-1316885166.jpg

post-432-0-29042900-1316885195.jpg

post-432-0-07371500-1316885220.jpg

In addition to the usual fleet of Loksound fitted locos there will also be a class 37/0 fitted with Paulibangers Multidrive Zimo decoder. If you are wondering what all the fuss is about, shout up and we'll let you have a play, but be warned.........!!!

It's not just about the railways you know.....

Sorry to drag things back to that :sungum: This wee show will be the penultimate appearance of Brian's 'Bonchester Bridge' after around twenty years on the circuit,so the old girl had had a cermonial hoovering, and 'Port Pennan' has a new roll of sellotape allocated ;) Looking forward to Saturday.

Archived