Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

IPA car transporters

steveb860

Hi,

I believe that it's only EWS (or DB Schencker) locos that hauls these wagons.

So any Class 66 in EWS or DB Schenker livery will do.

Simon

Thanks for this reply and all the others who've pitched in - its useful -

This rules out GBRf and Freightliner then - I was rather hoping to use one of these to give a splash of colour other than red :rolleyes: ...

Guess it will have to be a solid red train then with a DB Schenker in command...!

Mine are here and very nice too. Placing scale cars on them really sets them off. Something mundane like Puntos, Golfs etc HOWEVER has anyone tried to get cars on the lower deck? Nothing fits. I guess the inadequacies of plastic and inherent thickness just rule out the height in the bottom deck. Shame. Bachmann are bringing out cars to fit on them?? Or so I hear. What? Caterham 7s??? No worries. I will run mine empty and weathered and they look just dandy!

See http://Bachmann.co.uk/ on the front page - they are producing bulk-packs of mini's and one of the images shows the lower deck loaded.

Interesting. They look a bit plasticky and are probably under scale to make sure they fit. A clever move. Guess whatever you carry needs to be 'all the same' or at least manufacturer....

• 3 weeks later...

How about a single or a pair of 67s - they must have hauled these during their 'quiet' period.

How long are a pair of these wagons - they look fantastic and wonder if a rake of 4 pairs will fit in my fiddleyard?

Dave

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On speaking to Bachmann to answer my own question they tell me they have no plans to produce the white/grey version. A ltd ed for someone maybe? I would have thought the grey would be more popular than the red versions.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this reply and all the others who've pitched in - its useful -

This rules out GBRf and Freightliner then - I was rather hoping to use one of these to give a splash of colour other than red :rolleyes: ...

Guess it will have to be a solid red train then with a DB Schenker in command...!

Not any more!!!

post-18515-0-00259000-1395240193.jpg

Colours just fine in my last post!!

Typical though, never thought I would end up working these. Now I want some of these wagons they seem to have disappeared apart from the usually inflated prices on EBay. Hopefully Bachmann will do another run soon.

Marcus

It's a shame that they produced the model in red rather than grey.  Here are a few shots from their early days.  They were some of the first wagons in revenue earning traffic through the tunnel.  Looking at the pictures you will see that the end deck has a UK height.  That was for travel to keep the load within the UK loading gauge.  It was necessary to raise the decks at the end for loading or unloading.

post-2484-0-85451700-1395243115_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-08721400-1395243152_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-20846600-1395243165_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-40819600-1395243178_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-07092500-1395243199_thumb.jpg

This a Montego that was a bit too high and struck a bridge somewhere on the journey to Dover

post-2484-0-74034000-1395243215_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-67997900-1395243235_thumb.jpg

There were also a small number of single-unit ones built for UK- Continent operation at about the same time, though the only times I ever saw one were in France. Their existence as 2-wagon units in red was short-lived, as many were returned to France to have two wagons inserted in the middle of each pair to produce four car sets.

Agreed it's a shame to not do grey ones!

There's still a handful of red 2's the last time I looked, but it was a very small number.

At least one of the singles got over here, this one was shot whilst in storage at Washwood Heath in 2009:

IPA_23874177021-4_WashwoodHeath_270709%2

Archived