Adding lubrication pipes to models

There have been some threads with superb 7mm engines where the builder has gone to lengths to replicate the lubricators and copper pipes of the originals, (for example the models built from Finney A3 kits!!!!) - but what happens when the time comes to paint the model? There are enough photos of (prototype) passenger engines where the oil pipes are in "self-colour", either left that way during overhaul or subsequently scoured/polished by staff, to suggest that copper pipes are acceptable for our models.

So if you have added oil pipes to your model, made from copper wire, what have you done to keep the "pipes" in self-colour through the painting stage?

thanks for your suggestions, Graham

There have been some threads with superb 7mm engines where the builder has gone to lengths to replicate the lubricators and copper pipes of the originals, (for example the models built from Finney A3 kits!!!!) - but what happens when the time comes to paint the model? There are enough photos of (prototype) passenger engines where the oil pipes are in "self-colour", either left that way during overhaul or subsequently scoured/polished by staff, to suggest that copper pipes are acceptable for our models.

So if you have added oil pipes to your model, made from copper wire, what have you done to keep the "pipes" in self-colour through the painting stage?

thanks for your suggestions, Graham

Could you not mask them off or maybe a coat of polish after?

Hi Graham,

What I find that works fine for me is after the undercoat has been applied I dip a cotton bud in thinners and gently wipe the pipes back to bare metal, then after you have finished the topcoat do the same again. You will find the paint will come off easily and also leave a residue that looks like they have been buffed up. It is much easier this way as you are not trying to scrub your way back to bare metal through layer upon layer of paint and primers. I suppose I'd better say that I model in 7mm so it is not to fiddly but with care I'm sure this method will work in 4mm.

ATB, Martyn.

Archived