New Walthers freight cars

squeaky

I thought i'd share some recent purchases with you all.

These are the new Walthers freight cars, they are Walthers platinum line, firstly we have the Evans 4780 3 bay hopper in ADM blue.

post-7333-083732000 1290107378_thumb.jpg

As you can see the walkway is already lifting and its brand new out of the box <_<

Next we have the Trinity 6351 4 bay hopper in NAEX green

post-7333-008905700 1290107485_thumb.jpg

And lastly the Trinity 6351 4 bay hopper in TILX Vera Sun Energy

post-7333-096767800 1290107597_thumb.jpg

post-7333-090619400 1290107662_thumb.jpg

As you can see the detail is very good and much better from their earlier efforts as below

post-7333-047598000 1290107830_thumb.jpg

I'm just a bit disappointed about the lifting walkways................

Very nice looking freight cars ...thanks for posting the close up photos...

re walkways lifting ...this is one of the problems with finer etched detail ...it expands and contracts at a different rate to the plastic...it looks like the etch is a tight fit for length ...probably needs a few thou off one end... just ease it up and trim and refix ...should be ok then ..

Regards Trevor ... :D

Really nice, thanks for posting the pics.

When you repair as well as Trevors suggestions of shortening them slightly i'd use a glue with some flex and not something like superglue, i've used "unibond repair extreme power glue" (look in B&Q, black & yellow packets) with a fair bit of success, it is clear glue that whilst it bonds well it ends up thin but gummy, leaving a bit of flex, perfect for roofwalks.

The plastics hopper upgrades to an etched roofwalk really easily with a one-piece drop-on conversion from Plano as well if you're interested, it really lifts the look of it!

I like these new Platinum Line offerings. Looking forward to the Hi-cube Paper Boxcars - no more fiddling with those pesky grab irons! As Martyn suggests, I'm looking to upgrade my Plastic Pellet Hoppers with the Plano etched roofwalks.

If I get chance i'll put a pic of the pellet hopper on tonight, it's one of the recent platinum line ones and the pre installed and painted grabs are indeed very welcome! It still came with the plastic roofwalk as in the pic and I replaced it earlier in the week.

I've a second-hand high cube that needs lots of missing grabs replacing - a job I keep putting off! :rolleyes:

Just out of interest has anyone bought both the Walthers and Exactrail versions of the Evans grain hopper - if so do you have any comments on quality versus value-for-money?

When you repair as well as Trevors suggestions of shortening them slightly i'd use a glue with some flex and not something like superglue, i've used "unibond repair extreme power glue" (look in B&Q, black & yellow packets) with a fair bit of success, it is clear glue that whilst it bonds well it ends up thin but gummy, leaving a bit of flex, perfect for roofwalks.

There's such a thing as rubberized cyanpoxy, basically super glue with a flexible additive. I started using it for plano etched running boards, but it is now my glue of choice for just about everything. I even use it for smaller plastic to plastic connections. A bit like watery snot, it dries in short order to a really strong flexible connection.

Walthers still doesn't get it though! One of my pet peeves is inconsistent levels of detail on a model. Walthers goes to all the trouble to fit nice running boards and then has those nasty slabs on the ladder rungs! I don't mind spending some time on a older cheaper car with a set of files reducing the thickness of the ladder rungs, but I'm just not gonna pay Walther prices for cars with slabs. Everyone else seems to have figured out how to produce scale ladder rungs, except for Walthers... angry.gif

post-7333-047598000%201290107830_thumb.jpg

Archived