Ex LMS Coaches

GC Jack

Hi Jack.

I had a bit of a discussion on my Pullman thread re this.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/18323-1928-pullman-stock/page__st__50

I'm not sure of the colours used, (although I'll be watching, as I need to add some curtains to my stanier D2117 composite), but can assure you the whitemetal castings are awesome and very easy to fit.

HTH.

Cheers.

Sean.

Guest stuartp

I make mine out of paper coloured in with orange felt tip. There's a pic on my workbench thread here (post 67) showing orange curtains in an ex-GER buffet, the colour was taken from a colour photo of the vehicle. If you scroll forward to post 120 on page 5 there are some more done the same way in an LMS CK. I used orange again for these, I can't recall now whether that was also based on a colour pic or i just went with the same colour as the buffet.

Later posts suggested red or blue curtains too, and the use of crepe paper rather than ordinary writing paper.

A very trying subject this! I've been trawling through colour albums for ages to find any clues, but all I've found so far is a WR maroon Hawksworth with very pale yellow curtains in a second class compartment.

My memory (obviously fallible) recalls orange curtains only being used by BR for catering vehicles, and first class being blue. Mark 1 coaches had roller blinds only in second class, but I don't know what ex- LMS coaches had. I'd love to know as I'm half way through building some Stanier period threes in BR maroon at the moment.

I just use matt enamel and a small brush on the inside of the glazing for mine. Years ago I cut up the pale blue header cards that came with MJT fittings and stuck them on, using a pencil to draw the pleats. Unfortunately the current headers are a bit on the bright side!

Archived