1928 Pullman stock

Thanks Rumo.

Thought everyone had given up on the thread after the long gap in updates.....biggrin.gif

That said, the model is now finished, (save for the brake rigging at one end which I forgot to order and possibly some mottling of the seats?.....)

Firstly, a couple more pictures of the interior which has now been painted. I looked at a few pictures of the 1928 stock and found all sorts of colour schemes for the seats - Black/Gold, Blue and Maroon for example. Needless to say, I could find no definative answer to Ione's colour scheme - save for Burr Walnut panelling, so I have picked a Light Blue scheme which darkens up nicely once the body is sat on top.

post-6920-128240746976.jpg

General view of interior.

post-6920-128240746786.jpg

Close up of the new Kitchen area.

Next are a couple of 3/4 views of the finished coach from each side.

post-6920-128240747156.jpg

Kitchen side.

post-6920-128240747334.jpg

Corridoor side.

Well. Thats about all for this one. As I have mentioned, I know there will be one or two glaring errors to those who are more in the know than me, (and to those who have had some errors pointed out to them whilst viewing the coach in the flesh.....) I've enjoyed doing this one though and am mighty pleased with the results.

I am looking forward to the arrival of the sides for the Brake Third, and in the mean time, I'll be looking at some ways to reproduce the curtains. I hope you've all enjoyed the build too, and if so, I look forward to catching up during the next conversion.....

Cheers for now.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

A very nice job , I hope I can do something similar with some conversions that

I have looming , not as involved as a Pullman though .

Would tissue paper make curtains ? It's nice and thin and comes in many coulours ,

I stuck some behind a toilet window for that frosted look and it worked quite well .

Lovelly bit of work...

There's plenty of life in an old coach.

Indeed there is David. In fact, I think it's only recently that the current manufacturers have produced stock to enable replacement of my older stuff. I've literally only just replaced my MK2 FK in Maroon that I converted from two old Hornby MK2's. I'll Hopefully be replacing my ex LMS Stove R, (An old Palethorpes 6 wheel chassis on a chopped up Stanier body), when the new one is introduced.....

Thanks for checking in during the thread and sticking with it.

A very nice job , I hope I can do something similar with some conversions that

I have looming , not as involved as a Pullman though .

Would tissue paper make curtains ? It's nice and thin and comes in many coulours ,

I stuck some behind a toilet window for that frosted look and it worked quite well .

Thanks Sidecar racer.

I think I'll see if I can find some tissue paper, but might be a bit fiddly, (Frustrating), to fold up?..... Anything for a challenge though.....

As always in my threads, if you're posting pictures etc of your conversion, feel free to post a link on here. I for one am always interested to see similar jobs.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

I don't know if it helps but MJT do cast white metal curtains for I think, MK1 coaches, I have used them in other coaches though and the relief of the castings is infinitely better than Hornbys printed efforts in the latest Pullmans, that and the awful corridor gangway which resemble nothing I've ever seen.

MJT are now available from Dart Castings and their list is worth perusing.

Cheers

PS You have really made me envious now you have finished the Kitchen First, now I have to get on and finish mine!

Sean,

I don't know if it helps but MJT do cast white metal curtains for I think, MK1 coaches, I have used them in other coaches though and the relief of the castings is infinitely better than Hornbys printed efforts in the latest Pullmans, that and the awful corridor gangway which resemble nothing I've ever seen.

MJT are now available from Dart Castings and their list is worth perusing.

Cheers

PS You have really made me envious now you have finished the Kitchen First, now I have to get on and finish mine!

Top work .

I have also used the MJT Curtains on my Silver Jubilee Set I am building at the moment. Very effective , they also do a etched version as well

Now, Sean, that really is a Very Nice piece of work, cool.gif good_mini.gif clapping_mini.gif

Many Thanks for showing us 'How it's done'.

Cheers, Frank.

Thanks chaps, (for the curtain suggestions and the compliments).

I think I'll look up the etched versions then, they sound like they might be just the job.

As an aside, I had a spare hour last night and so started carving up the Brake 3rd. The work came to an abrupt stop when my scalpel slipped and cut along the top of my thumb. Not necessarily "How it's done" eh Frank!sad.gif

Fortunately, I have a week away now, so should return with a fully functinal thumb! OUCH! The morale??? Why rush things!......

"Wayne", having looked at those pictures of your job, I'm sure yours will be a fine match for mine. Come on, bung a few pictures on the open forum.....

Cheers for now.

Sean.

Hmmmn,

And just to completely disregard my comments above about not rushing things, I've ordered enough etched curtains for both coaches. No, what colour should they be?.....

Another Hmmmm.... from this end too. "Another minefield you've stepped into here, Stanley"

This is where Anthony M.Ford's books come into play.

It is possible that the curtains were lined, that is, coloured on the inside, with the lining fabric showing outside, as some household curtains do. This would show a light greyish colour from an outside view, similar to Hornby's efforts.

There's a pic., in the 'K - Type' book, of VSOE 'IBIS''s interior, showing the curtains being Red on the inside, with off-white facing the windows.

The Brighton Belle / electric cars had Cream curtains with horizontal Brown & Blue stripes (inside).

Apparantly, there was a different style of table lamps for each batch of cars too !, but, as they say, "Don' go there" blink.gif

Regards, Frank.

Thanks chaps, (for the curtain suggestions and the compliments).

I think I'll look up the etched versions then, they sound like they might be just the job.

As an aside, I had a spare hour last night and so started carving up the Brake 3rd. The work came to an abrupt stop when my scalpel slipped and cut along the top of my thumb. Not necessarily "How it's done" eh Frank!sad.gif

Fortunately, I have a week away now, so should return with a fully functinal thumb! OUCH! The morale??? Why rush things!......

"Wayne", having looked at those pictures of your job, I'm sure yours will be a fine match for mine. Come on, bung a few pictures on the open forum.....

Cheers for now.

Sean.

I look forward tothe Brake third. Sorry about the thumb! :(

Another Hmmmm.... from this end too. "Another minefield you've stepped into here, Stanley"

This is where Anthony M.Ford's books come into play.

It is possible that the curtains were lined, that is, coloured on the inside, with the lining fabric showing outside, as some household curtains do. This would show a light greyish colour from an outside view, similar to Hornby's efforts.

There's a pic., in the 'K - Type' book, of VSOE 'IBIS''s interior, showing the curtains being Red on the inside, with off-white facing the windows.

The Brighton Belle / electric cars had Cream curtains with horizontal Brown & Blue stripes (inside).

Apparantly, there was a different style of table lamps for each batch of cars too !, but, as they say, "Don' go there" blink.gif

Regards, Frank.

Thanks Frank.

Without sounding too blasé about the matter then, from what you're saying, a coat of Rail Grey or similar with a few Black lines to represent the folds should do the trick.

I like to keep it simple if I can.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice job on Ione, the prototype photo showing the corner is particularity handy as well as it highlights a couple of details I have missed off mine. Making me want to get on and do some more work on my formation, though other than adding minor details to Ione Audrey and Zena, I cant really do any more until I finish designing the etches for the next batch.

I have almost finished sides (along the same lines as the Comet ones) for the 1925 K stock kitchen Ibis to convert from the Hornby '28, Just need to compare my drawing that was compiled from photos and the VSOE drawings with the original works drawing and make sure it is correct...

I should be able to run off a couple of extras when I produce them later in the year/early 2011 if its of any use to your formation.

That looks excellent!

Very late thought: would there be any advantage to putting the old Hornby Pullman shells onto the new generation Pullman underframes? Come to think of it, is it even possible?

Hi Horsetan.

Nice to catch up. To contradict the reply slightly, I believe the new K type chassis would fit, however, they have trussing which is incorrect for the 1928 stock. I used the old chassis as Keen Systems did a full detail and chassis pack for just shy of a tenner which I thought was great value. I think the new chassis could be viable though?.....

That looks excellent!

Very late thought: would there be any advantage to putting the old Hornby Pullman shells onto the new generation Pullman underframes? Come to think of it, is it even possible?

Hi Horsetan.

Nice to catch up. To contradict the reply slightly, I believe the new K type chassis would fit, however, they have trussing which is incorrect for the 1928 stock. I used the old chassis as Keen Systems did a full detail and chassis pack for just shy of a tenner which I thought was great value. I think the new chassis could be viable though?.....

Very nice job on Ione, the prototype photo showing the corner is particularity handy as well as it highlights a couple of details I have missed off mine. Making me want to get on and do some more work on my formation, though other than adding minor details to Ione Audrey and Zena, I cant really do any more until I finish designing the etches for the next batch.

I have almost finished sides (along the same lines as the Comet ones) for the 1925 K stock kitchen Ibis to convert from the Hornby '28, Just need to compare my drawing that was compiled from photos and the VSOE drawings with the original works drawing and make sure it is correct...

I should be able to run off a couple of extras when I produce them later in the year/early 2011 if its of any use to your formation.

Hi Fatadder.

I'll keep it very brief as I'm on my phone. Check the water tank fillers before fitting. I have used a photo of Ione whilst in VSOE service as a reference, but the picture I have of Thelma in the 60's shows the tank fillers running between the gangway and the end window. Obviously mine are between the door and window and I'm not sure which is right. I'll PM you re the sides when I get to a computer, but it sounds like another fun challenge.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Horsetan.

Hi Horsetan.

^^

In this thread, we shall now discuss the concept of deja vu....

Archived