2 pairs of old bogies

hayfield

These have S - R Ltd on them, are they Stewert Reidpath, and what region are they please. They are 9' bogies and seem to be designed to be bolted together. Will sit under one of my old wooden coaches which are waiting for bogies and underframe details.

post-1131-021042700 1290328682_thumb.jpg

These are much newer, they are 8' ones but again not sure about the maker or type

post-1131-014237500 1290328792_thumb.jpg

I have some similar to the S. R. bogies stamped TMS in GWR (like these) and LMS designs. They had Nucro type springing units with inside bearings. (These have been pinched to use with something else!)

I think the GWR version is supposed to be a Churchward design (not sure - the casting is quite crude).

As for the others the 8' wheelbase suggests Southern Railway (they look like the Farish bogies), but I'm not sure as to maker. Wills? or possibly ABS? I don't think they aret Gem or CCW as these were sprung/equalised

Thanks for the confirmation about the Sterert Reidpath bogies, they will go under a coach of the same era and lack of detail is not an issue.

Re the other bogies, I have another set of similar bogies, its the ends of them where the couplers fit that set these apart. They may be Hobbytime/BSL I think they are too good for MTK ones.

I dont remember Wills making bogies, GEM were equisprung and not K's. Still the 6 pairs are a usefull addition to the spares box.

Thanks again for the replies

• 4 weeks later...

The bottom set are definitely meant to be SR standard 8' bogies, possibly by BSL though it's been a while since I saw any and therefore can't be sure. My suspicion is that they're actually a bit better than those. ABS coach bogies are much more sophisticated creatures (with innards which resemble the real thing and a ratehr different mounting arrangement) and in any case, Adrian has never produced these.

Adam

Archived