The Dockside

I'm constructing a dockside but need, because of its position on the layout, something more durable than card. It so happens that Wickes Hardwood Stripwood comes in a variety that's 47mm x 6mm, hence saving me a lot of fettling. The wood is dimensionally stable and remains straight - a bonus.

And while we're on docksides an harbours, the builders would have taken pains to make sure that the mortar/block interface was as smooth as possible. What happens when a wave hits a cliff or other near vertical surface is that air gets entrapped by the onrush of the wave. If the air gets compressed in a hollow then when the wave pressure is released the air escapes - fast. The stormier the sea the more the air compression and the greater the release rate. Not for nothing is this called explosive decompression, where the air escapes explosively sometimes carrying other things with it.

Take this a step further and generate a small hole - as the air is compressed it forces its way into every weaknerss, and on release does not necessarily take the same way out - bits of rock/cement might be carried out at the same time. On a cliff this is the way that caves form. On a harbour, if this happens you're well on the way to losing it unless you can repair it at the next low tide. Lack of maintenance has been the downfall of many a harbour. The one at Hartland Quay, built late 16th century, was destroyed in 1887. There's also the remains of a lime kiln at Hartland that was supplied with coal and limestone from South Wales from coasters using the harbour. When Trevaunance (St Agnes) was abandoned it didn't take long for that to disappear.

So I do have a problem with heavily embossed sheets being used for harbour walls as they would not in reality have stood up to the erosion.

Which is why John's dock edge stuff is so good!

Archived