RMweb

3F Jinty - Old Hornby 0-6-0

MattB

I have an old 3F Hornby 0-6-0 and im chipping it with a TCS T1. I found all the motor and wheel pickups eventually (usual problem with one of the pickups between the chassis and the motor) However on wiring it all up it doesn't seem to detect the chip, the loco moves probably due to the 12V power on the track. But I am surprised that it is not shortcircuiting. Has anyone chipped this one before - any tips would be welcome.

There is ample room for the chip on the inside of the side tanks or in the smokebox or the bunker.

Matt

The easy way with the XO3 style motors is put an insulating sleeve onto the V shaped spring for both brushes.

Remove the flying lead that is on the insulated side of the motor (see below)

Solder orange and grey to brushes.

Red and black one to the flying leed and the other onto the chassis - check which way round you need. Red right rail (orange to brush that was fed by that).

Ensure that the chip is insulated from the live chassis or you'll get a smoke generator!

This is on Hornby's basic 0-6-0 chassis I take it? Current diagram, (earlier versions vary significantly) http://static.Hornby.com/files/ss-201e-0-6-0-292.pdf

Did you check with an ohm meter , or light bulb and power source, that both motor brushes were completely isolated from the rails before installing the decoder? If not, that is the point to return to, before attempting anything further.

(The earlier Triang 0-6-0 chassis with XO3 or XO4 motor used in the 3FT Jinty, 3F, and much else, referred to by AMJ above; is a much simpler item for decoder fitting as described. All the parts required are on board, provided the mechaism is in original condition.)

• RMweb Premium

This is on Hornby's basic 0-6-0 chassis I take it? Current diagram, (earlier versions vary significantly) http://static.Hornby.com/files/ss-201e-0-6-0-292.pdf

Did you check with an ohm meter , or light bulb and power source, that both motor brushes were completely isolated from the rails before installing the decoder? If not, that is the point to return to, before attempting anything further.

(The earlier Triang 0-6-0 chassis with XO3 or XO4 motor used in the 3FT Jinty, 3F, and much else, referred to by AMJ above; is a much simpler item for decoder fitting as described. All the parts required are on board, provided the mechaism is in original condition.)

The earlier chassis has an XO4 or similar motor driving the either the centre or front axle (depending on age) with wheels insulated on one side only, proceed as per AMJ's suggestion.

I have two of these, one in a R059 2721 0-6-0PT (front axle drive) and the other (very early centre axle drive) under a Wills whitemetal kit. They work fine with TCS chips.

The only reservation I have is the current draw of the older motors which can be high compared to a modern one.

Keith

Thanks chaps - The exploded diagram is for the same model as I have. The copper springs are isolated from the motor but still touch the wheels, (front and back only, centre is isolated rubber rings on both sides). To be honest I need to go back and have another look at it with the ohms meter and check my solder contacts are ok. Im not happy with the bottom motor brush as it seems to have possibly come adrift and also the pickups could be touching the weight block so will insulate them as well

Archived