Modern N Scale signal gantries

nackerty

Hi,

I have searched and searched but I cannot find modern signal gantries for my British rail layout. Anybody found a solution?

I am not skilled enough for brass modelssad.gif

Try Traintronics at 01202309872. They do do an N gauge gantry but the heads are still under development. The leds are minute and the wires are like fine hair so finding both supplies and assemblers who can cope with these has been hard. Ask for Derek and say Chalky sent you!

I am not skilled enough for brass models

If it's just etched brass that puts you off, you could try to bash one using plastic. I made one from Plastruct girders and bits of plasticard. The one below is all plastic including the railing (except the ladder). Even the dummy signal heads are plastic;

post-33-034931700 1290675857_thumb.jpg

G.

• RMweb Gold
With this kind of construction it may be possible to run the wires from working signal heads.

No problem at all it more fiddly than anything.

PS

Good thing about brass is hat you can reduce the wiring to the LED's by 50% by using the gantry as a common return.

Have you tried working in brass or is a percieved worry?. Really its no different from working in plastic except the bits are stronger and its a differnt type of glue!

Dave

• RMweb Gold
With this kind of construction it may be possible to run the wires from working signal heads.

No problem at all it more fiddly than anything.

PS

Good thing about brass is hat you can reduce the wiring to the LED's by 50% by using the gantry as a common return.

Have you tried working in brass or is a percieved worry?. Really its no different from working in plastic except the bits are stronger and its a differnt type of glue!

Dave

Looks like CR signals uses the Ratio pratt truss gantry. I have already discounted the Ratio model as I have several tracks to bridge.

I have seen some N scale brass models and they scare the **** out of me! In saying that I know that Santa may be getting me a modelling light/magnifier.

If it's just etched brass that puts you off, you could try to bash one using plastic. I made one from Plastruct girders and bits of plasticard. The one below is all plastic including the railing (except the ladder). Even the dummy signal heads are plastic;

post-33-034931700 1290675857_thumb.jpg

G.

Do you have more close up pictures of your model to share. I think that your model is just what I am looking for. What size are the main beams?

Do you have more close up pictures of your model to share. I think that your model is just what I am looking for. What size are the main beams?

Unfortunately I sold that layout a year ago and don't have the model to check sizes. You'll have to estmiate from a known distance (say the track gauge) and your particular requirements, but the girders and railings are standard size plastic extrusions/mouldings that you can buy. Here's another pic to help with the design;

post-33-008517800 1290854985_thumb.jpg

G.

Thank you. I can see the construction now. I am just back from Falkirk Model Show where I bought some Evergreen I beam. So in theory there is nothing stopping mehuh.gif

I saw the T gauge stand there. ImustresistImustresistImustresistImustresistImustresistImustresistImustresist

Archived