Layout with mixed OOand HOe

The Mc

I have just demolished my last OO layout in my home-built shed as the roof eventually leaked too much. It will be replaced by a new 10ft X 6ft shed and a new layout.

I am keeping some of my OO stock but a lot will go as I plan a simple end to end layout around 2 sides on a board around 2ft wide.

I have always fancide the little Liliput HOe carriages and have already purchased 6 of them. I just need a few locos. The aim is to have an HOe layout running on a slightly lower level than the OO one snaking from one end to the other.

Will mixing OO and HOe look Ok? The Welshpool and Llanfair railway springs to mind, are there any other examples in the UK of narow gauge railways with Austrian stock?

The other alternative is to scrap the OO and go HO and get a couple of diesels and other rolling stock instead.

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Gold

There are several railways now running overseas stock although mostly locos. The W&L is the only real world one to have Austrian coaches in the UK, (they also have Sierra Leone & Romanian stock!), but it sets a precedent for you to follow so as it's your railway I'd say go for it.

Tillig (available from International models) do dual gauge HO & HOe track too . . . . . .

Having just got the "Little Trains of Britain" book out of the library today, I have convinced myself I will combine the two. The leighton Buzzard railway is also another great example with quaint locos and stock, so I just need to order my new shed and then make a start after Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

Go for it mate !!!-Had a ride in one of those Austrian coaches ( as well as one of the Hungarian ones) recently--delightful trip,well worth making.

Got me digging out the modest HOe collection with a view to a winter `indoor` layout whilst the `OO` train shed is on shutdown `til the spring.

Am going for a wee coffee table layout first,to test out a few ideas ,then incorporate the HOe feeder into an HO Swiss electric layout I`m planning for the trains I inherited from my late father in law ....this is about #4 & 7 on the list of unbuilt layouts............

I must admit,to my eye,HOe stock does look a tiny bit petite when put next to OO stock,but from your description the two wont be coming that close to each other so it should work...

Now we need a premise....How about the std gauge climbing up to its terminus,interchanges with the slim line which winds its way off into the hills....

A nice little N/G terminal with loco shed,carriage shed and a few sidings.

Just some random thoughts

ATB Nick

An update to my original posts.......having taken into account what people have said about condensation and metal sheds/roofs, I have had a rethink and decided that the current 7ft X 6ft shed is now to stay. It is already lined and insulated inside and never suffered from condensation, just a leaking roof due to a bit of sagging on the slope. I also wasn't looking forward to demolishing it and building and insulating another.

Rather than fork out over £350 for a new shed it will be cheaper and easier just to add another sloping roof above the sagging one, then I can insulate it underneath and put more layers of shed felt on it. It currently has a foot of snow on top of it and it is not leaking at the moment! Just need some dry weather to get the job done!

I have therefore ripped up the current layout boards and have started to build a new layout that does not take up too much room this time and will therefore not be too cramped. The layout will be on two sides only this time giving a total end to end outside board length of just over 16 feet. It is 16 inches wide all round and will have a single track OO line from one small station at one end to a small fiidle yard at the other.

I have now built up a nice collection of Liliput HOe stock and have some track and points which will weave in and out throughout but also likely to be an end to end line.

I have attached a photo of my home-made shed last winter.......<BR clear=all>

post-10339-040518100 1291671763_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hiya -On the subject of condensation-I also have a tin roofed trainshed and the first year was a nightmare of unwanted moisture(especially as I still had a load of steel rail at the time )....solution-a load of polystyrene sheets cut to fit between the joists (shed is 16`x10`) and supported on featherweight battens of 1"x1/4" beading-provides both a `soaker` for drips and an air pocket-and cost bu**er-all-always a bonus.

Stick with it-none of yer softy indoor comforts for the true shed modeller ;)

ATB

Nick

• RMweb Gold

What does the "e" stand for in HOe? I believe HOe is 9mm gauge and HOm is 12 mm gauge(ie approx 1m). Thanks

Ed

When I read this you got me wondering too so took the Google challenge.:D

HO stands for Half of O.

In America HOn30 is generally used for modelling American narrow gauge.

HOe is the term for European narrow gauge so I guess the "e" is for European.

Found this that explains it in great detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOe_scale

Hope thats of use.

Garry

My quick thoughts are that the HOe if up from the 00 station will just look a little further away if there is any size difference as the eye and brain will just compensate explaining it with perspective

I also think it could be quite cool to link the two stations with a funicular railway if they are positioned in such a way as to make this possible but I probably only think that because I think funicular railways are amazing pieces of engineering.

Archived