Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Using someone else's ideas?

ianwales

Personally I dont think there is any problem copying anything as a modelling idea as long as you are not going to gain a financial advantage or make the other person financially disadvantaged. At the end of the day it is a hobby (key word) and if somebody was so impressed by my idea (never going to happen!!) that they would like to recreate that rather than a prototype then I would feel nothing but pride. An acknowledgement would be nice and a pre alert/ request would be very flattering but I wouldnt really expect one.

My model station will purport to be in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the goods yard layout will probably be based on Lazonby on the Settle & Carlisle, and the Hornby Scaledale station buildings, which themselves are based on an S&C structure, have already been adapted and repainted to represent Pennine stone. In its new setting the station should look like Greenfield on the LNWR and not a station on the S&C. IMO no one need ask anyones permission, but if you have used David Jenkinson's reduced scale drawing, it might assist other modellers if this fact is mentioned. The great man himself would have acknowledged that the S&C is not the preserve of one man.

Archived