RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Spurs are lucky that Clattenburg is one of their fans.

As well as his completely wrong "guess" about the penalty yesterday, they also benefited from two offside goals awarded by Clattenburg and his inept officiating team in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

• RMweb Premium

As well as his completely wrong "guess" about the penalty yesterday, they also benefited from two offside goals awarded by Clattenburg and his inept officiating team in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

Makes a change from 'Fergie Time'.

Pedro Mendes says hi .....

• RMweb Gold

I did say in the reverse fixture:

Here's one of them:

attachicon.gifoffside.jpg

Great pic. Linesman is doing a good job in being perfectly positioned. So why did he not flag it? Should have gone to Specsavers???

Edit: Actually, while positioned well enough, the linesman is not in the right place. He should be level with the second-last defender.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

What happened to Hockaday?

Sacked, and they've won their last three matches... Maybe a new way forward for football, the owner does the Managers job as well!! ;)

Makes a change from 'Fergie Time'.

Ah but that only applied to the "other" Manchester team... We had a lucky escape in the Semi against Everton so I'll accept the "what goes round, comes round" in this case!

• RMweb Gold

Sacked, and they've won their last three matches... Maybe a new way forward for football, the owner does the Managers job as well!! ;)

Ah but that only applied to the "other" Manchester team... We had a lucky escape in the Semi against Everton so I'll accept the "what goes round, comes round" in this case!

Not for Everton, it doesn't. We keep getting clobbered by poor refereeing decisions. I can only think of one duff decision that has gone our way this season.

Great pic. Linesman is doing a good job in being perfectly positioned. So why did he not flag it? Should have gone to Specsavers???

Edit: Actually, while positioned well enough, the linesman is not in the right place. He should be level with the second-last defender.

No, he should be level with the last defender - the keeper is out of picture to the right and counts for the purpose of deciding offside.

• RMweb Gold

^

No.

The Linesman NEEDS to be level with the second last defender, the leading attacker AND the passer of the ball.

Just not (humanly) possible.

Kev.

The Linesman NEEDS to be level with the second last defender

If you're including the goalkeeper as a 'defender', I agree. If by 'defender' you mean just an outfield defender, then I disagree. To avoid being offside, an attacker needs two of the defending team between himself and the goal line, but the rules don't specify what positions those defenders have to be playing.

This is obviously the most common situation. The linesman is in line with the last outfield defender (assuming the keeper is back inside his 6-yard box). When the ball is hit forward, if the leading attacker is nearer the goal than this defender, he's offside. The difficult bit for the linesman is knowing when the ball is hit. Either he picks it up in his peripheral vision or perhaps hears the ball being struck.

The Linesman NEEDS to be level with the ... passer of the ball.

Usually only if there are two (or more) attackers between the second last defender and the goal line (having got there without going offside). In that situation, if the player with the ball passes it, the player receiving it must have been behind the ball when it was passed. Linesman must be in line with the passer to know where the receiver was relative to the passer when the ball was hit.

The Linesman NEEDS to be level with the ... leading attacker.

I can't think of a situation when a linesman needs to be in that position, though I'm willing to be corrected.

(Edit - on further thought, if the 'leading attacker' in the third example was the 'passer of the ball' in the second example, then by my explanation for the second example, the linesman would (coincidentally) be level with the leading attacker.)

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

^

"the second last defender"    - Yes, any 2 from the defending teams eleven,

"passer of the ball"                - the guy currently in control of the ball, (however fleeting),

"the leading attacker"            - the intended 'target' attacking team-mate - whether intended or otherwise - who MUST be behind/or level with the "passer of the ball" at the exact time that the "passer of the ball" last touches it.

Kev.

Not a new concept !!   At Elland Road the Owner is the Manager as well .....

• RMweb Gold

No, he should be level with the last defender - the keeper is out of picture to the right and counts for the purpose of deciding offside.

Common mistake.

Yes, in this case (as usual) the goalkeeper is the first defender and so the "last defender" outfield player that we can see is the second last defender. But as a linesman, as I was for a couple of seasons, you have to be aware of the possibiliity of the goalkeeper being further upfield than two of the outfield players. So my choice of words was very deliberate.

• RMweb Gold

^

No.

The Linesman NEEDS to be level with the second last defender, the leading attacker AND the passer of the ball.

Just not (humanly) possible.

Kev.

In practice, if the linesman sticks firmly to being level with the second-last defender (including goalkeeper where appropriate), it is easy enough to judge offside. Go either side of that position and it gets much more difficult. But not an excuse in this case.

• RMweb Gold

If you're including the goalkeeper as a 'defender', I agree. If by 'defender' you mean just an outfield defender, then I disagree. To avoid being offside, an attacker needs two of the defending team between himself and the goal line, but the rules don't specify what positions those defenders have to be playing.

This is obviously the most common situation. The linesman is in line with the last outfield defender (assuming the keeper is back inside his 6-yard box). When the ball is hit forward, if the leading attacker is nearer the goal than this defender, he's offside. The difficult bit for the linesman is knowing when the ball is hit. Either he picks it up in his peripheral vision or perhaps hears the ball being struck.

Usually only if there are two (or more) attackers between the second last defender and the goal line (having got there without going offside). In that situation, if the player with the ball passes it, the player receiving it must have been behind the ball when it was passed. Linesman must be in line with the passer to know where the receiver was relative to the passer when the ball was hit.

I can't think of a situation when a linesman needs to be in that position, though I'm willing to be corrected.

(Edit - on further thought, if the 'leading attacker' in the third example was the 'passer of the ball' in the second example, then by my explanation for the second example, the linesman would (coincidentally) be level with the leading attacker.)

Sorry, I had not seen this correction when I posted above.

There is another situation which is not easy for the linesman when he is positioned in line with the defence. That is when an attacking player has run over the bye-line. This happened to me once in an important game (one team fighting against relegation). I knew that the attacking player was not offside because he had not re-entered the field of play. Referee overruled me and struck out a perfectly good goal scored by another attacker. I was rather forthright with the ref at half-time!

Get rid of the Offside Rule and it'd make life so much easier!!

Not for Everton, it doesn't. We keep getting clobbered by poor refereeing decisions. I can only think of one duff decision that has gone our way this season.

What I said before, what goes around comes around, we got stitched by Clattenberg over the weekend cancelling out our lucky goal against your lot! If you look carefully enough there are always plusses and minusses over the season...

• RMweb Gold

Get rid of the Offside Rule and it'd make life so much easier!!

What I said before, what goes around comes around, we got stitched by Clattenberg over the weekend cancelling out our lucky goal against your lot! If you look carefully enough there are always plusses and minusses over the season...

Comes around for some clubs more than others.

There is another situation which is not easy for the linesman when he is positioned in line with the defence. That is when an attacking player has run over the bye-line. This happened to me once in an important game (one team fighting against relegation). I knew that the attacking player was not offside because he had not re-entered the field of play. Referee overruled me and struck out a perfectly good goal scored by another attacker. I was rather forthright with the ref at half-time!

To me, that illustrates the essence of the offside rule, and it's so often forgotten. "Offside" is really a shortened form of "off your own side of the ball". (It's similar, in that, to the rugby offside rule.) To be in an offside position, you have to be between the ball and the opponents' goal line. If your are not in that area, no matter what else is happening, or not happening, you cannot be offside. I remember seeing an explanation of the rule which began "A player is offside if he is between the ball and the opponents' goal line UNLESS ...", followed by all the conditions - in own half, two defenders etc. that overlay it. I've had a couple of bookings for pointing this out to referees!

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

To me, that illustrates the essence of the offside rule, and it's so often forgotten. "Offside" is really a shortened form of "off your own side of the ball". (It's similar, in that, to the rugby offside rule.) To be in an offside position, you have to be between the ball and the opponents' goal line. If your are not in that area, no matter what else is happening, or not happening, you cannot be offside. I remember seeing an explanation of the rule which began "A player is offside if he is between the ball and the opponents' goal line UNLESS ...", followed by all the conditions - in own half, two defenders etc. that overlay it. I've had a couple of bookings for pointing this out to referees!

Indeed more in common between the two games than people realise. When I coached rugby and had players who were struggling with the offside rule, I would often refer them to soccer as most of them had played that and understood the offside rules.

First Welsh try last weekend proved that it can be complicated. Studio panel thought that the referees had got it wrong. I don't think they had but I don't have a copy of the rulebook to hand. Bet there was a lot of talk at Referees' Societies meetings on Monday evening.

.... the offside rules.

First Welsh try last weekend proved that it can be complicated. Studio panel thought that the referees had got it wrong. I don't think they had but I don't have a copy of the rulebook to hand. Bet there was a lot of talk at Referees' Societies meetings on Monday evening.

It certainly sounds like something that would benefit from the kind of photographic scrutiny that they use to analyse racing photo-finishes.

• RMweb Gold

It certainly sounds like something that would benefit from the kind of photographic scrutiny that they use to analyse racing photo-finishes.

Not a photo-finish here.

The Welsh player was definitely in an offside position but, in my view, not offside as he was not affecting play. A Scotsman then passed him the ball.....

All similar to the soccer rules.