Retro Hornby Met Cam 101

Having managed to get hold of a Hornby 2 car Met Cam 101, I'm considering a retro of this back to one of the first series Met Cams from the 1950's. I've got a copy of the Cheona Pictorial book which shows some details, but I'm looking for a copy of MRJ 105 which has an article by Tim Shackleton on some 101 butchery. Can somebody give me an idea of what this article is about.

The Hornby model comes as a twin so all the underfloor detail on the trailer has to go. I've been told that the underframe from a centre car could be a straight replacement, any thoughts on that? I can't see it as a Hornby spare. The first thing on the list might be to remove the 2 digit panel from the cab ends and add the centre and top light. It will be an Eastern all second 2 car, so what colour should the seats be?

The heater by the middle door would have to go I think and the radio roof pod if fitted would need pairing down and rivets and panel reinstating.

The TS chassis is a direct replacement and does fit as I tried it a while ago.

Maybe not as fine a model as newer 105 and 108 units from Bachmann but still a useful model!

Ian

The early East Anglian series were not 101's, they were gone before TOPS appeared. Major difference to my eye is the front skirt under the buffers, as portrayed on the old Triang model. They were numbered in the E790xx and E792xx series (power/trailer). I've often thought sime enterprising manufacturer could produce a conversion kit for the Lima/Hornby 101, or the DC kits version. At the moment my set is a Triang one, flushglazed and repainted. Had it so long but I know its inaccurate!

I've been told that the underframe from a centre car could be a straight replacement, any thoughts on that? I can't see it as a Hornby spare.

Hi There,

As previously stated,the TS underframe is a straight swap,and it is available as a spare,-Hornby part no.X9439

The [MRJ] article describes two methods of making a 101 - from the Lima model [as it then was! - a long time ago now] and the DC Kits kit. There is plenty of prototype detail too.

And IIRC it features builds of two units, one of which is a 79xxx series twin - which is what the OP specifically asks aboutcool.gif

Hi There,

As previously stated,the TS underframe is a straight swap,and it is available as a spare,-Hornby part no.X9439

I'd like to know how you went straight to that part number, I was looking for a parts diagram and couldn't find anything on the Hornby website. Anyhow, managed to receive a copy of the MRJ article, hasn't got the detail that I was after perhaps but gave some good advise. This Hornby model doesn't have the radio roof pod, what I'm looking for is a 79xxx power car + trailer, not a twin. So if I can get this TS underframe then I'll have a spare power car underframe if anyone is interested.

While looking for further details on these Met Cams I came across a book that is about to be published by Santona - A guide to modelling Diesel Multiple Units

I'd like to know how you went straight to that part number, I was looking for a parts diagram and couldn't find anything on the Hornby website.

Hi 60526,

Well, I just looked at my copies of the service sheets...!

Hornby have actually issued 2 service sheets for the Cl.101,HSS 301 [original]and HSS323 [current version with NEM pockets] both listing 'underframe with buffer [dummy coach] X9439'.I know the terminology isn't strictly correct,but the guy who writes these isn't really a railway enthusiast, and it's not his main job...

Anyway,they are on the Hornby website,but I suspect you weren't looking in the right place,-on the Hornby home page click on 'Customer Support', then on 'Downloads',-and then on 'Product Service Sheets',-you'll then see them all listed... :)

HSS301here

HSS323here Part numbers are correct,but illustration is actually of a Cl.121 :blink:

I hope this is of help to you,I don't know if you have a local model shop,but East Kent Models has X9439 listed at £3 each.

Thanks, I'll have to change my glasses, I was looking at the Abbiegals website, didn't realise that EKM had a link. Perhaps they will also have the 3 link couplings which always seem hard to get.

I've found a couple of photos of early MetCams on the web,

http://web.ukonline....dmu-UP-1960.jpg at Upminster

Also on the 53A site is a colour photo of E79270 leaving Kings Lynn for Dereham in 1958, but it doesn't appear there at the moment. Good front end detail.

While looking for further details on these Met Cams I came across a book that is about to be published by Santona - A guide to modelling Diesel Multiple Units

If this is the one listed on amazon, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on it.

I believe the book project was shelved several years ago now (somewhere around 2007) - there was a statement on the previous version of RMweb but I can't currently find it.

Andy B)

The original Triang Met- Camm DMU from the 1960's was based on the 79XXX DMU's and for its day was not bad model albeit a little short. They even had parts of the front end valances included as part of the modelling and some detail of the mu connections below the cab windows was portrayed. I have a number of these units with the original screaming! motor bogies which I converted to Class 101's long before the Lima model arrived but can’t remember the last time they were run!

Xerces Fobe

Sean -

Won't need a rewheel on grounds of flange profile. IMO, running is like Lima without the notchiness/roughness to the transmission. Wouldn't like to cause angst, but the wheels are still too small and there's a country mile between solebar and bogie. Oh, and there's traction tyres.

The basic model still tidies up nicely though with a new set of bogies and some minimal cosmetic attention : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/17385-101-dms/

:)

Archived