The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where in the World

EddieB

Ok, Christmas is coming and there's already a mystery photo running in another thread (my money's on West Somerset somewhere B) ), but this one is clearly outside the UK. In fact somewhere quite a bit warmer than the UK at the moment.

For starters it isn't standard gauge and the train I was hoping to photograph was running several hours late. Oh and yes, there is a modelling connection.

So what's the name of the station and where is it?

(Photo taken March 2005).

No prizes - but the winner may get a round of applause from me.

post-10122-022185100 1291334320_thumb.jpg

Well, almost another mystery (which will teach me to give the Rule forum more than a cursory glance), apologies to the Mods.

Some good theories developing, but remember it's the station name that wins the round of applause - and there is a modelling connection.

• RMweb Gold

Some good theories developing, but remember it's the station name that wins the round of applause - and there is a modelling connection.

Until I read the last couple of words I was beginning to wonder if it might be Bang Su (not sure of the spelling but that is how it is pronounced) in Thailand.

Until I read the last couple of words I was beginning to wonder if it might be Bang Su (not sure of the spelling but that is how it is pronounced) in Thailand.

Not Bang Sue, which is actually an important junction with a large MPD, when all there is here is an R62.

Strangely finding the mystery place in Google Maps requires its name to be spelt differently in the search function to how its name appears on the map itself. The map spells the place name the same way as the station does - as you could see if you could read the nameboard (I made sure it was scanned at too low a resolution). A further clue is that the station name is written in western (i.e. Roman) characters, not some exotic script.

Ok, time for some more clues.

One or more of the responses has identified the correct country - but when looking Eastward, think also to look Westwood for that modelling connection.

There, that should give the game away.

Well, either I over-estimated the level of interest or desire to do a little digging around on matters of foreign railways (even if they were laid by the British, worked predominantly by British-built locomotives and many of their staff trained in the UK) or I've set the bar too high on this occasion.

So a final set of clues.

The name of this station is well-known in the world of railway modelling. You may be surprised that the platform isn't comprised of various R460 sections, with an R464 ramp at each end - but then, it isn't Margate!

(If anyone really wants to know and can't work it out from the clues, please PM me.)

Well, either I over-estimated the level of interest or desire to do a little digging around on matters of foreign railways (even if they were laid by the British, worked predominantly by British-built locomotives and many of their staff trained in the UK) or I've set the bar too high on this occasion.

So a final set of clues.

The name of this station is well-known in the world of railway modelling. You may be surprised that the platform isn't comprised of various R460 sections, with an R464 ramp at each end - but then, it isn't Margate!

(If anyone really wants to know and can't work it out from the clues, please PM me.)

Sandakan Malaysia

and only because I google map searched it to see if I could match a Hornby supplier

oh b...r just checked and although there is a railway on the island I dont think its big enough to match the photos

Colin

Sandakan Malaysia

and only because I google map searched it

Colin

Er, no. Sandakan is in Sabah, and (I think) was the former capital when it was North Borneo. As far as I know, there was never a public railway there - the Sabah railway running from Tanjung Aru (Kota Kinabalu, formerly Jesselton) to Tenom.

Hang on, is that Super 4 or Series 3 track in the picture?

ok

Triang, Pahang Malaysia

colin

Well done. It's on the "Jungle Railway" connecting Kota Bahru with Gemas.

Something of the flavour of the line can be found here: http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tales/malaysiatales01.htm. The station itself might make an attractive prototype for a model - although there aren't any KTMB locos available in RTR, you can always use the excuse of late running (very prototypical!) as an excuse for nothing moving.

A round of applause* for you, sir!

(*Muted, as the children are asleep).

Well done. It's on the "Jungle Railway" connecting Kota Bahru with Gemas.

........although there aren't any KTMB locos available in RTR.......

An Australian 48 or 830 class (which are available) would give an approximation of a YDM4.

The lack of semaphores were what threw me - possibly only certain stations on this line have them?

Good fun, but as you suggest, perhaps the initial bar was set a tad too high?

Archived