Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from a sunny village.

Apart from watching the Olympic cycling and listening to the test Match I've done a bit more.

As mentioned the rainwater goods arrived and this is a trial fitting. 

160805-1.jpg.4dc96712fcde83403c2e57be5dd80596.jpg

I'm very impressed with the way the parts fit together.

I've also been out photographing wooden gutters to hep Flavio with the details for the buildings that he's doing.  I also need to do about 7 feet of guttering round the loco shed.

These gutters are the right type on my church 50 yards from home.  The stone corbels it sits on are correct but the gutters are now plastic rather than wooden.

160806-1.jpg.44685cadfd21df44fe9b7c42e4acfe87.jpg

160806-3.jpg.f8ebee6136d6d6b8cf9219cd1fde2c7b.jpg

Last night I levelled out the DAS work on the Stationmasters house and then marked it out and started scribing.

160806-4.jpg.35a33021784620756667355ee4962e49.jpg

I also put a trial coat of paint on the front which I think is starting to look OK.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

morning all from a bright and sunny village. Some more progress has been made. Over the weekend I got most of the DAS scribing done on the Stationmaster's House and then a package arrived from London yesterday with a prototype sash window. I tried it in the window aperture and this is the result.

post-6824-0-56932500-1470726663_thumb.jpg

Dave (Unravelled)'s work is brilliant. The window consists of 6 laser cut layers of glazing material and plasticard. These are still loose but show the effect. I'll have to glue them together and then try them in the aperture properly to see how deep it needs to be. I'll also have to tidy up the aperture and get the scribed wall covering glued down properly.

Last night we moved some boards around at the clubroom and there are now a run of 3 boards up so that I can try doing some overhead. The trial run will be the bay platform. I now know what needs to be done and hopefully things will progress this week.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all after a good day doing not a lot but an evening working on the layout.

At last I have set up the first section of permanent overhead. I did a trial section on the removable viaduct which was at the Nottingham show demo in 2015, but wasn't happy with the way the steel reinforced brass wire worked. I bought some metre lengths of straight nickel silver wire at Doncaster and tonight had a go.

I'm trying to get a complete run done in time for Telford and the obvious one is the bay platform which runs over 4 boards for a total of 13' of OLE.

The first hour was taken up with anchoring some of the masts securely and then soldering on some missing insulator and registration arms. Also John came down with the Yates and Jackson building that he's doing and we spent some time checking it's position and one or two other matters.

Then I strung the bras coated wire as the contact wire and put some temporary tension on it before soldering it to the first two arms on board B5. The joint to B6 was then made and the tension re-applied.

Next some L shaped droppers were soldered to the top of the contact wire before I strung the first length of N/S wire as the intermediate wire and wound the droppers round it. Then two more N/S wires were strung as the catenary wires and soldered to the insulator pots. Finally three droppers were added to connect the catenary wires to the intermediate wire.

post-6824-0-88798100-1470868664_thumb.jpg

Not a very good photo but it was the best I could do. However it looked OK when I tensioned the catenary wires. Only about 15" done but it's a start. Hopefully I'll get some more done tomorrow.

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That looks good Jamie - and with your eye for detail and your drive for accuracy, I'm pretty sure it's prototypical, though I wasn't around to see the original!

Thanks for that Stewart, fortunately I've got the plans for the overhead and some articles which give the specification for the wires. The interesting thing is that using the correct diameter wires (12 thou or 0.3mm) they ae virtually invisible. I'm going to try painting the upper ones to see if that make a difference. I suspect that the upper 2 which were steel would be black and the contact wire, being copper would be green. I think that the intermediate wire was steel so that might be black as well.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Stewart, fortunately I've got the plans for the overhead and some articles which give the specification for the wires. The interesting thing is that using the correct diameter wires (12 thou or 0.3mm) they ae virtually invisible. I'm going to try painting the upper ones to see if that make a difference. I suspect that the upper 2 which were steel would be black and the contact wire, being copper would be green. I think that the intermediate wire was steel so that might be black as well.

Jamie

I remember the 'green' contact wire Jamie but as far as the rest was concerned it just seemed to be mucky, er very mucky although there did seem to be quite a lot of green wires I think.

(says one who travelled by electric train from Lancaster (Castle) to Lancaster (Green Ayre) and back again a long time ago.

• RMweb Premium

I remember the 'green' contact wire Jamie but as far as the rest was concerned it just seemed to be mucky, er very mucky although there did seem to be quite a lot of green wires I think.

(says one who travelled by electric train from Lancaster (Castle) to Lancaster (Green Ayre) and back again a long time ago.

Thanks for that Mike. I also travelled but wasn't looking for such details aged 7. BR did change the insulators and registration arms but as far as I know the wires weren't changed.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back from a good evening at the club. I went down yesterday but didn't get much done for various reasons. However tonight I got the order of assembly right and found a method of splicing the 1 metre lengths of Nickel Silver with little visual impact. I managed to get 2 complete lengths done and now have over 6' of complete OHLE over the bay platform. I also formed a joint between boards B5 and B6 which worked. The extra stiffness of the NS has made a big difference. Hopefully progress will continue. Mark and Sam also did a lot of scribing and most of the cobbles are done. Also Paul was in and spent a bit if time fitting gates in the coal yard, these had been made by Tony a couple of months before he died and he made a great job of them. I even got some more scribing done on the Stationmaster's House.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

i'd post the pics i took last night of the cobbles and the overhead but flickr doesnt want to let me upload them

Why not post the link, Sam, and we can go there ourselves?

got them uploaded this time

28926946516_dccf2b4d3a_z.jpgDSCN0706 by Sam, on Flickr

28958705635_2b060b01de_z.jpgDSCN0704 by Sam, on Flickr

Also I have made and glued on the retaining walls around the cattle dock field, here is the dock end. the scrapes are from the iron blocks used to hold the wall in place till the glue dried, easy enough to paint over

28926958696_d77631a3dc_z.jpgDSCN0699 by Sam, on Flickr

the other section, The left hand end goes up against Skerton bridge and the right hand end meets up with the first section over the baseboard joint

28926955916_63fdb50670_z.jpgDSCN0700 by Sam, on Flickr

the area of cobbles scribed is the left hand

28958710425_5bab5c8fa9_z.jpgDSCN0701 by Sam, on Flickr

As Jamie said, Mark also did some scribing but i forgot to take a pic of it but just to show which area here before i had already done the left hand side and around the tram lines

28343072633_ea68eb652c_z.jpgDSCN0323 by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

that section i forgot to photograph last time

28993358686_f77e1612a8_z.jpgDSCN0734 by Sam, on Flickr

Paul got another gateway into the coalyard cut back so the gates fit and Jamie glued them in.

28408725863_f4c9145bd4_z.jpgDSCN0736 by Sam, on Flickr

Mark filled in the missing parts of the road with some new hydrocal and ive taken home the fencing from around the cattledock field to repair and repaint

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of photos to show progress and add to Sam's from last night.

The first shows the current state of construction of the Stationmasters House.

160815-1.jpg.5c80ff4bf1f51641ec667f31bdbcf781.jpgll the way along board B7 with the bay platform road.  This is the longest stretch between supports as it is straight but it looked OK.

160815-2.jpg.a76069364b6efb245fb66ec04a122568.jpg

Things are coming on. and today I moved two of the layout crates up to the chapel ready for a work week next week.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A rather sunny day but the first few hours were spent down at the clubrooms trying to get some more OHLE completed.  Sam also came down and put the finces up on the cattle dock paddock as well as doing some more scribing of the roadway.   Mike Watson, our esteemed chairman also came to put some primer on the first bit of fascia that's been completed.

I started on the mot difficult part so far which is where the bay platform wire run has to come close to the up main so that there is a smooth handover for the pantograph.  Because of the altered geometry I can't follow the prototype exactly as it's on a curve not a straight so there has to be some outward tension on the contact wire to keep it above the track.   I've borrowed a feature from the western end of the layout where the Castle Branch comes into the down main.

This is the result.

160817-1.jpg.d3ad9157335e7f84d48c5d1299e96782.jpg you can see I've started to get the intermediate wire in place on the bay platform line.

From the joint piece the bay platform wire terminates on the gantry by the bridge.  I don't have plans for the termination method wo have improvised with a spare insulator section from a registration arm.

160817-2.jpg.aa128229b1911c1005770814171edbd4.jpg

The two wire runs make a sort of elongated X shape.   Hopefully when I get the main line run done the main line wire will go a little straighter.  Here's a shot with a piece of paper behind it to show the wiring.

160817-3.jpg.7e93431df2f077b3ab94972b6293e1bb.jpg

Things should progress some more this week but after 3 hours my back had had enough.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

the repaired and repainted fencing

29018134156_77e990f282_z.jpg044 by Sam, on Flickr

29018139146_0bd95f609f_z.jpg043 by Sam, on Flickr

all the cobble scribing on the corner thats been done is now painted, just a few bits left on the end and on the bridge to do, we might just get it done in time for telford now that Mark can come down to the club more often. and here is the paint work that Mike has started

28433316763_c26b240a6a_z.jpg046 by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 5

Jamie,

I've just realised that my trip to the Spur Null show in Gießen clashes with Ally Pally.  Sorry.  However I'm happy to find local operators for you; but only people capable of operating "cold".

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Jamie,

I've just realised that my trip to the Spur Null show in Gießen clashes with Ally Pally.  Sorry.  However I'm happy to find local operators for you; but only people capable of operating "cold".

Bill

If I can operate it cold, then anybody can, I can assure you Bill - although when I was running it, we were simply doing roundy-roundy, and the panel was not seeing a lot of use, as the objective was to keep 'em moving.

• RMweb Premium

No pictures tonight but most of the layout is up at the chapel ready for a short work week prior to Telford. The main task is to get the lighting rig sorted as well s various other tasks that will become apparent. The windows for the Stationmasters house arrived yesterday and look great. I got two assembled and also acquired some lace ribbon that will make the drapes.

Quick trip to Wakefield for supplies in the morning then on with the task.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a dark and peaceful village.  Can't believe that we've now passed the 100.000 view mark.   Anyway a good day has been had.  A quick trip to Wakefield for some supplies and to try and find the M6 bolts.  They weren't there but when I got home I found them, neatly packed in a crate labelled, M10 and M6 Bolts.  We then used the remaining wire to make a support for the big umbilical between the main and fiddle yard panels.  This avoids it running across the floor as a trip hazard.

160822-3.jpg.2eebcf49c079141da157754a665456a3.jpg

I will probably make a stay for the pole at the fiddle yard end that braces across the fiddle yard.

Then Sam and I worked on getting the lighting rig and pelmet put up.   We've never had the whole rig erected before and knew there were some problems caused by building it in three parts.  I eventually got most of it up but found that there was a 7" overlap at one point on the pelmet.

160822-4.jpg.25f50de8205786ebb9897ddaa0c8d782.jpg

I'm not sure what I'll do to remedy this as I don't want to damage Mike Watson's lovely paintwork but will work something out tomorrow.

160822-1.jpg.1b504fb83c4e2aa2eef363728d5bce71.jpg

I was able to get power to two thirds of the lighting rig and this was the overall effect.

I particularly liked the station area and the canopies under the lights.

160822-2.jpg.29c3c255f2d70d379b6bf8e452521ff1.jpg

I even managed to get two trains running round after mending a dry joint on a rail end and replacing one loose wire. Dave then called in for  a natter and a cuppa.

Tomorrow I hope to get the last part of the lighting rig up, then do some more testing., come off at J27 and follow the satnav to LS27 7AN.  If the door of the chapel is open come in.

If anyone is passing on the M62

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5