GWR Good Sheds

As I begin to think about expanding Britannia Sidings (a modified Inglenook) I need some help with dimensions for a goods shed. I know that there was no such thing as a "typical" GWR goods shed but I need some sense of the size of a shed that had one track going inside. How long was the shed from front to back? How high? I've looked at lots of photos but am still stumped about dimensions. My plan here is to make a cardstock model as a placeholder and later do a model using plastic siding and details. Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Dunster goods shed on the former Minehead GW branch from Taunton ( now the West Somerset Railway ) scales out in 4mm scale, at 5 inches wide by 6 and a half inches long...

its 3 1/4 inches to the eaves and 4 1/2 inches to the apex of the roof

these dimensions are taken off a model I have that was built from the book "Eric Plans" published by Peco

Mickey: thanks so much; this is exactly what I was looking for!

Jim

,Goods shed sizes, in inches, for 4mm scale, taken from plans in "Great Western Branch Line Termini by Paul Karau (OPC) Vol1(1977) and Vol2 (1978) " , if my measurements are correct at this late hour, are estimated as follows:

• Fairford, Gloucestershire - Length 6.5 inches, Width 5.0 , Eaves 2.8, Apex 4.2 - Stone (East Gloucestershire Railway)
  • Tetbury, Goucestershire - Length 14.0 inches, Width 6.5 , Eaves 3.0, Apex 5.0 - Brick (GWR 1888) - big one!
  • Watlington, Oxfordshire - Length 8.25 inches, Width 4.3 Eaves 2.9, Apex 4.2 - Wooden with brick base (Watlington & Princes Risborough Railway)
  • Abbotsbury, Dorset - Length 6.8 inches, Width 5.25, Eaves 3.0, Apex 4.4 - Stone (Abbotsbury Railway)
  • Ashburton, Devon - Length 7.9 inches, Width 5.70, Eaves 3.0, Apex 4.3 - Stone (Buckfastleigh, Totnes and South Devon Railway)
  • Moretonhampstead, Devon - Length 8.0 inches, Width 7.8 width, Eaves 3.0, Apex 5.0 - Stone (Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway) - almost a square footprint.

I have included the goods offices attached to the main stuctures in the footprints but excluded steps. You will note that only one of the sheds above was actually built by the GWR (Tetbury) - I suspect this is too big for your needs. Excluding Tetbury, I believe the others and the previous posting give a reasonable indication of the likely footprint/dimensions of a smallish goods shed with one track passsing through.

Hope the above helps.

David

Goods shed sizes, in inches, for 4mm scale, taken from plans in "Great Western Branch Line Termini by Paul Karau (OPC) Vol1(1977) and Vol2 (1978) " , if my measurements are correct at this late hour, are estimated as follows:

• Fairford, Gloucestershire - Length 6.5 inches, Width 5.0 , Eaves 2.8, Apex 4.2 - Stone (East Gloucestershire Railway)
  • Tetbury, Goucestershire - Length 14.0 inches, Width 6.5 , Eaves 3.0, Apex 5.0 - Brick (GWR 1888) - big one!
  • Watlington, Oxfordshire - Length 8.25 inches, Width 4.3 Eaves 2.9, Apex 4.2 - Wooden with brick base (Watlington & Princes Risborough Railway)
  • Abbotsbury, Dorset - Length 6.8 inches, Width 5.25, Eaves 3.0, Apex 4.4 - Stone (Abbotsbury Railway)
  • Ashburton, Devon - Length 7.9 inches, Width 5.70, Eaves 3.0, Apex 4.3 - Stone (Buckfastleigh, Totnes and South Devon Railway)
  • Moretonhampstead - Length 8.0 inches, Width 7.8 width, Eaves 3.0, Apex 5.0 - Stone (Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway) - almost a square footprint.

I have included the goods offices attached to the main stuctures in the footprints but excluded steps. You will note that only one of the sheds above was actually built by the GWR (Tetbury) - I suspect this is too big for your needs. Excluding Tetbury, I believe the others and the previous posting give a reasonable indication of the likely footprint/dimensions of a smallish goods shed with one track passsing through.

Hope the above helps.

David

Further to my previous post I have just measured my Ratio Goods Shed kit in 4mm and this is 6.7 inches in length, 6.1 inches wide, 2.9 inches to eaves and 4.5 inches to the roof apex.

I think this kit is intended to be a "generic" small GWR goods shed (although it can be painted to represent an alternative railway company) but the "footprint" is very similar in size to the earlier examples mentioned.

As Kris says your shed could be bigger or smaller(no track passing through?) dependent on your goods traffic levels and perhaps the limited space available on an "Inglenook" style layout.

David

• RMweb Premium

As Kris says your shed could be bigger or smaller(no track passing through?) dependent on your goods traffic levels and perhaps the limited space available on an "Inglenook" style layout.

I can think of 2 "good sheds" that were just small sheds on the station platform.

The other option for a small goods shed would be a provender style shed.

Archived