Preparing White metal for Paint

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I have moved on from the resin and plastic wagon kits - all finished and all looking good.

The next project is a half finished GW Star - Hornby RTR tender and running gear with a half finished white metal engine. Unknown manufacturer.

Already have the plates and numbers to finish it as the pre WW2 re-named "Knight of Liege".

I have rectified a few faults, and filled and filed some gaps, using Miliput.

Do I need to do anything to the white metal before I let rip with the spray primer? Intending to use Halfords rattle cans for primer and top coats, with brush on enamel for the footplate detailing.

Thanks

Make sure thats it clean. I use Cif and a toothbrush and soft paint brush, giving the model a good scrub under the tap. If there is a lot of detail that could be easily knocked off and lost, put the plug in! Allow to dry thoroughly in a warm place then clean with a degreaser, I use cellulose thinners and a cotton bud (carefull not to leave hairs behind) although lighter fluid can be used instead. This is to remove fingerprints etc. Then lightly primer, check for runs, hairs dust etc, then another coat of primer.

This works for me but is certainly not the only way of doing things.

I still use trusty old panshine, as we used to call it......ie: Vim or Ajax powder, a well-worn half-inch paintbrush, then rinse under hot water mixer tap.

Just a suggestion :- With whitemetal, it will probably be necessary to apply several coats of Halfords rattlecan primer, rubbing down between coats every 10 minutes or so. First coat should be a dusting. Second coat will key to the first and hopefully prevent runs, and so on until you have a satisfactory base for colour. Then leave the primer for four hours before applying rattlecan 'colour'.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to all. I will do as suggested. I had forgotten about filler spray primer. I have some etch prime which I may try instead of the Halfords primer.

Archived