HELJAN CLASS 47's

deltic2009

I have just discoverd ( last Wednesday ) that my Heljan 47's are self distructing !. Over the years i built up a collection of 53 all stored and never used. I now have 3 that have broken bodies 5 with bodies completley stuck on and 1 with distorted chassis but i got the body off. On finding this i have now removed all bodies from the chassis for further storage.

I also have a Hornby 31 ( 31270 ) with cracked front and a split near the cab ( chassis expanding ).

• RMweb Premium

Already discussed in much detail here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/15006-Heljan-47-chassis-issues/

A well known problem caused by contaminated matzak (the metal from which the chassis is cast) which over time causes the frame to distort and banana which of course then wrecks the body.

Early Hornby new type Class 31's also have this problem and this too has been extensively discussed.

For the Heljan's contact Howes of Oxford and they should be able to help you with new chassis, bodies can be a problem however as there are no longer any spares of the livery of earlier releases.

For the Hornby 31, their servicing department is your first port of call (email contact details on their website) they will probably need to know the batch number off of the white sticky label that is to be found either on the box or the enclosed instruction sheet. They have manufactured replacement chassis and bodies (all be it with different numbers I believe) and will sort it out for you.

Archived