Class 58 Roof Fans

Hello

Never done a Heljan one but I did a few Hornby ones years back. Chain drill round the plastic grille and then cut it out and tidy up the hole(s) with a file. Curve the etched grille using a small roller with the etrch laying on a pile of tissue/kitchen roll. I always use Evo stick to attach brass to plastic, it stays there. As regards the fan bend the blades at an angle paint them while still attached to the sprue by one piece of metal ,it is easier to hold like that. There are various ways to fit the fan but an easy and pretty foolproof one is to glue trhe finished fan to a very narrow piece of black plasticard and then glue the pl;asticard to the inside of the roof making sure it is central in the hole. If you are not repainting the whole loco body it is just as well to paint the fan grille matt black as it is the colour they all end up any way. I imagine the Heljan one is similar. I hasve fitted etched grilles to their 47s. Hope this helps. By the way one of my Hornby 58s still runs on a layout at least 15 years after these mods were made to it. The body looks as good as the Heljan version, just the bogies look a bit crude.

Cheers

George

Hornby

They're not strictly accurate but for one Hornby 58 a few years ago I used the older fan grilles which Shawplan sold for class 47's. They're about the correct size and an improvement on the Hornby moulding.

Apply them as George suggests and the result should be pretty good :)

Hello

Sorry no pictures I'm afraid as I'm c..p at model photos. If you are doing this to a Hornby 58 then you may as well fit a proper silencer as well as it is totally missing on the Hornby model. Also it does benifit from fitting new etched grilles for the radiator as well. Also depending which one you are modelling you will need to alter the handrail/doorguards. There is more but it is of course up to you. A1 models do most of the bits, see MG Sharp's web-site.

Cheers

George

Archived