Which Matt & Satin Varnish?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Please can someone advise on matt and satin aerosol varnish. Top colour cots are Halfords rattle can and / or Revel/Humbrol type enamels. The Halfords rattle can has come out beautifully in terms of coverage and colour, butit is just too shiney.

Thanks in Advance.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Barry 10. There is a grumbly post elsewhere about the quality of their aerosols.

Good discupline to invert them, and clear the nozzle after use I guess.

Testors Dullcote every time!

I discovered it from wargame modelling and it is great. A perfect flat finish every time and it is fairly fast drying too. They do a satincote which I have not tried.

The one thing to be aware of is that it is a top coat and so does not provide the same level of protection for transfers etc that most varnishes do. However it will go over most varnishes quite happily once they are thoroughly dry. I often seal models with Halfords or Games Workshop varnish and then give a top coat of Testors as the finishing touch.

I have found Railmatch and Humbrol matt varnishes disappointing as they seem to give a slight sheen to their finish. Same is also true for many humbrol matt finishes even when well stirred before use. I find that a light dusting of the almost dry paint with talcum powder produces a finish that looks like weathered paint. This is not a Keith original tip but I cannot remember where I saw it.

Cheers

Keith

Archived