DB Cab ride through rain, fog, snow and ice

Welly

• RMweb Premium

Just up on YouTube, a DB TX Logistik driver have filmed a montage of his duties through rain, fog, snow and ice. Watch the sparking from the icy OHL near the end of the clip!!

• RMweb Premium

With that amount of arcing it makes you wonder how much it affects the traction current availability.

It is all lost energy due to an imperfect contact. I would imagine it also causes excess wear on the contact surface.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I really enjoyed watching it. Also I was able, when station announcements were made, to plot the journeys on giggle maps. The arcing was great to watch and very obvious to me (ex high voltage engineer) that it was AC and not DC.

Peter :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Here is a good example of DC arcing:

I could just see that the arc is greeny blue.

With AC current flows both ways so there is no ionisation of the conductor material in contact with the arc and so no colour whereas with DC current is flowing one way and there are ions flowing one way through the arc which takes on the colour that is characteristic of the conductor material ( green for copper ) - is this the reason why AC and DC arcing have different colours?

• RMweb Premium

The videos are (obviously) mainly German, but other countries feature too. Norway, Thailand, Greece, France, Australia, to name a few. I know the videos can be purchased somewhere, the ARD has some sort of agreement with the publisher IIRC, but I can't recall which one. I'm sure Dominik (1216 025) can ;)

Not completely sure as I do not have any railway-themed retail DVDs myself, but I seem to remember the publisher is Geramond.

• 2 months later...

I'm amazed the pan head can take that amount of punishment in the first video, I've seen one of our container crane DC motors spark like that and the comm was ruined, mind a pan head on 15Kv is probably only drawing 50 Amps max, ours was drawing nearly 1600 Amps.

Amazing videos none the less, the latest must be light locos because they certainly appear to pick up speed very very quickly.

Best

Michael

I would imagine it also causes excess wear on the contact surface.

Keith

It certainly does, and when the carbon gets removed from the pantograph the auto drop device (ADD) will drop the pan. It happened several times during the bad weather at the back end of last year with class 90s on the Anglo-Scottish sleepers. No 25kv means no traction power and no ETH so there were a few chilly nights experienced. Some European systems use different pantographs in winter to alleviate the problem.

Archived