Charwel Drynogyth, Boston level

sixteen 12by 10s

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread Gary; what a stunning slice of model making. It properly captures the atmosphere of the bigger north Wales quarries even though the layout judging by the helicopter shot looks to be very compact. I'm reminded in particular of a visit to the galleries at Dinorwic a year or so ago..

post-6793-0-95234300-1296063901_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-59669900-1296063943_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary,

I must write to say how impressed I am with your layout. Just goes to prove that you do not need much space to built a very convincing and atmospheric narrow gauge layout! I do like small industrial layouts myself and have built a few over the years, which I enjoyed doing.

To model anything based upon Dinorwic would take up considerable space. I have been there myself a few times and well worth a visit. The Welsh National Slate Museum is well worth a visit (and is free entry) and you could quite happily spend a few hours there as well. There is also a great place to eat in Llanberis - Pete's Place - plenty to eat and great mugs of tea!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have been so long in replying to this thread, I have been tied up with one or two other things mainly that nasty thing called work.

Neil, although it's not modelled on Dinorwig, the project was started after a walk in the welsh quarry.

Mudmagnet, off up that way in a few weeks time, I just might give Pete s place a go.

This model is now destined to go into store for a while, but I think I shall visit it with the camera, before, and its certainly not the end of the story, the layout has a non confirmed exhibition booking for next year, but with Glenuig's first outing looming I need to get that one set up.

Now, can anyone come up with a name, it seams a shame, to go with just “welsh slateâ€

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay folks, I had missed my little layout making it back on the first page

“Llechi Cymraegâ€, sounds good to me (good, is google for translating) that,s it then, thanks for that.

I no firm invites to exhibition yet, but I think you mite see it at Stourbridge 2012.

Thanks for the recommendation for Pete's eats, we mad a visit to this high class establishment, and what a superb place. I do like the healthy menu for all of us fit people, who indulge in out door activities.

One chap was putting away the “mega†all day breakfast, his mate said “if you think i'm hanging on the other end of the rope after that lot palâ€. The gallon, coffee cups are good too.

I will sort a few more photos out over the next day or so.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the recommendation for Pete's eats, we mad a visit to this high class establishment, and what a superb place. I do like the healthy menu for all of us fit people, who indulge in out door activities.

One chap was putting away the “mega†all day breakfast, his mate said “if you think i'm hanging on the other end of the rope after that lot palâ€. The gallon, coffee cups are good too.

Gary

Gary,

Glad to read that you enjoyed 'Pete's Eats'! I have only been there a couple of times myself, but well worth the walk from the Slate Musuem!

• 1 year later...

So this little layout, has remarkably got a few exhibition invites, so I thought it was about time it had a proper name.

Here go's , first can I apologize for any of you to the west, and over the boarder, (welsh) for my approach to coming up with a name. After trying a few methods of naming the layout, I eventually picked a mountain (with a pretty tong twisting name) and stuck a “quarry†on the front of it, in welsh of course. So Charwel Drynogydd, it is then. Now the layout represents a small part of a larger quarry, so this also needs to have an identity, if you look at Dinorwic, some of the levels were named after places around the world, Australia, and New York come to mind, so I have chosen “Boston†because they were a good rock band!..... get it..

So after that terrible comment, if you are still interested in seeing the creation and I don't go mad in the first hour of operating it at a show, Charwel Drynogyth will be appearing at

Stourbridge, bonded warehouse 21-22/04/12

Midland Railex 18-19/08/12

See you there

Gary

The new Spooner loco out for a test run

post-7480-0-69099300-1333053212_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Ian,

Well it was a bit of a surprised seeing this one rear its head up after so long. The diesel is a Wrightlines kit running on a Tenshodo motor bogie. Watch out, the layout has a few show appearances booked for next year, the first been Stafford, and a new loco is almost finished, a scratch built De Winton 

post-7480-0-95014700-1417641706_thumb.jpg

Archived