Hornby EMT HST

valeofyork

I see that the Hornby EMT HST power cars have now appeared.

I was thinking of getting a pair, but looking at these pictures on Hattons' website:

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=32163

There appears to be a glaring inaccuracy and I'm undecided whether to go for the XC ones instead, or wait for the EC ones. Quite surprised at this given how accurate Hornby have been at reproducing the variations in the power cars on all previous releases with the new tooling.

Vale!

Erm what are these glaring inaccuracies? I would if aware of what they would then share them with the group to allow others to benefit from your insight...and then to action it appriopately

As for which others to buy, if Hornby are so bad give 'em all a wide birth and spend yer har earned on other items.

Hornby HST 1978 was my 2nd Trainset! still has a soft spot....these new fangled all singing all dancing dont have light that melt and light the whole loco unit up do they....aww progress.

Ian

Vale!

Erm what are these glaring inaccuracies? I would if aware of what they would then share them with the group to allow others to benefit from your insight...and then to action it appriopately

As for which others to buy, if Hornby are so bad give 'em all a wide birth and spend yer har earned on other items.

Hornby HST 1978 was my 2nd Trainset! still has a soft spot....these new fangled all singing all dancing dont have light that melt and light the whole loco unit up do they....aww progress.

Ian

The headlights! They're completely wrong - see http://kbsmiletrainpics.fotopic.net/p68300758.html (not my photo) to see what they should look like.

I generally think the new-style Hornby HST power cars are great - I have several sets already - it's just disappointing that these EMT are inaccurate in an aspect which is so visually obvious.

Guest jim s-w

Quite surprised at this given how accurate Hornby have been at reproducing the variations in the power cars on all previous releases with the new tooling.

Except that any of the non MTU ones have incorrect bogie details of course? How about the incorrectly sized windscreen on all?

Seriously though it sounds like something that can be changed, Thats the difference between a modeller and a shopper!

Cheers

Jim

I see that the Hornby EMT HST power cars have now appeared.

I was thinking of getting a pair, but looking at these pictures on Hattons' website:

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=32163

There appears to be a glaring inaccuracy and I'm undecided whether to go for the XC ones instead, or wait for the EC ones. Quite surprised at this given how accurate Hornby have been at reproducing the variations in the power cars on all previous releases with the new tooling.

Wrong for 43048, but correct for a few of the others. 43089 I seem to recall has that style of light arrangement.

I'm surprised you went for the easily exchanged light array as the glaring inaccuracy when the shade of blue is too dark by far...!

Wrong for 43048, but correct for a few of the others. 43089 I seem to recall has that style of light arrangement.

I'm surprised you went for the easily exchanged light array as the glaring inaccuracy when the shade of blue is too dark by far...!

Difficult to tell with colour from a photo - I'll need to see the model itself before commenting.

43089 has the same three-light array: http://rtranmer.fotopic.net/p68356403.html (not my photo), as do all of the EMT fleet. None of the HSTs now retain the original large glass-covered lights: EMT are the only ones with the three-light arrangement, all the others have two lights.

I think Precision Lables do an overlay that will do a fair job of correcting hornbys light covers into the EMT/Midland style 'Peep holes'

Considering theyve done cooling group variations , its a shame they havent quite followed suit with the headlights -

As Jim says though - the bogies are the greater 'wrong' for the majority of models :rolleyes:

tfn

Jon

I'll go with colour inaccuracies rather than things that are easy to change such as headlamps as being more an area for concern. Does seem a shame that when Hornby get around to making a decent fist of making a model of a much sought after and important Loco. that they score an own goal by persisting in getting basic colours wrong.

I had a good look at the EMT powercars yesterday, first of all, they have the original style light clusters which is a dissapointment. This is a relatively easy fix as the light unit pops out, and I intend to use masking fluid and spray it matt black, so thats that sorted. Also assuming i'll have to move the tail lights to the correct innermost position aswell, as i'm guessing Hornby haven't done this.

I'd say the more striking problem is the incorrect shade of orange (far too deep) which contrasts badly almost blending in against the red, but again i intend to get the airbrush out and use a lighter shade of orange to sort that out.

I'm still going to buy one, but it's just a shame that Hornby cocked up on the colour front once again. . simply comparing the pre production model to pictures would have shown up incorrect colours unsure.gif

After i've done that i'll have a good model.

Not seen one in the flesh yet (although a pair are on order.) Bit disappointed that they got the headlights as I believed Hornby were aware of the differnces with the Midland headlight arrangements and had made allowances in the mouldings.

The Hornby EMT power cars also have there old guard luggage comparment vents in place, these are (if not all done already) being plated over, also all EMT power cars are in the process of being fitted with wifi antennas on the roof above the bodyside sliding doors, it is dissapointing that Hornby have failed to get the colours correct......

Regards Davep101

Good point, all refurbished power cars have had their guards compartment roof vents plated over, GNER did theirs several years ago. And yes, all EMT's have 'shark fin' style antenna mounted centrally above the guards compartment, just behind the cooler group. Roughly car size. maybe the guy at Neville Hill went to Halfords. .laugh.gif

Just noticed on the hattons pics, the letters drop downwards between 'Eastmid Landstrains'. Not good.

Just spotted that myself - they've really dropped the ball with these power cars - The picture on the box is quie misleading showing the orange shade as it should be - the box artwork (obviously) doesnt have wonky text either. Im guessing on the packaging somewhere its says "actual models may vary . or models may differs from illustration" , or something along those lines - but how can anyone not be miffed when the computer generated 'box' image is shows a fairly accurate rendering of a livery - but whats inside the box is just wrong :unsure: :(

tfn

Jon

Well I have now managed to get my hands on the actual model and in the end it does not look too bad! The headlight whilst not strictly correct does actually look like it should (being a black strip across the front). And the lettering on the side for some reason does not look as bad as it does in the photos (but that step is there). I do seem to remember when the livery was first applied the East Midlands logo did not look right on the prototype (but strruggling to remember the detail - will try and check my photos). They have got the orange line at the bottom right as per drawing but not as per the intial pair (it was a decal which would not go on smooth and later ones it was painted on!) However they are missing the pale blue number on the nose end (you would struggle to see it as pale blue on dark blue does not really work!). The cab doors are as initially painted (for an up to date model the doors have been repaced and have yet to be painted and so appear in First blue!) I also don't think on tjhe pair intially painted the van roof mod had been as the canopies were changed later.

So all told for me not a bad model.

However not impressed with the work of fiction which appears on the back of the box which is supposed to be the history of the class. 43055 and 43048 were never operated by CrossCountry and never appeared in Virgin Red; they were always MML power cars! And the comments about VPs aren't right either; might be MTU propoganda!

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

However not impressed with the work of fiction which appears on the back of the box which is supposed to be the history of the class. 43055 and 43048 were never operated by CrossCountry and never appeared in Virgin Red; they were always MML power cars! And the comments about VPs aren't right either; might be MTU propoganda!

Richard

Erm... Not quite (see my bold).

Both were originally allocated to the Western Region - 43048 was in set 253024 and 43055 in set 253027. The MML only ever had hand-me-downs... B)

Erm... Not quite (see my bold).

Both were originally allocated to the Western Region - 43048 was in set 253024 and 43055 in set 253027. The MML only ever had hand-me-downs... B)

Andrew,

You are quite right in the respect that when originally built they were part of the Western allocation. However my refernce was to the final paragraph of the Hornby right up on the back of the box which states that at BR privatisation they passed to Virgin Trains and then went into storage; in fact they were part of the original Midland Mainline fleet post privatisation and appeared in tangerine and teal followed by the second MML blue livery before being the prototype EastMidlands Trains livery. They did not come across to MML (the company as opposed to the route) as part of the RIO fleet which is what the box history implies! Incidently 43048 was selected to be named TCB Miller in recognition of the man behind the development of the HST fleet as it was the prototype Brush electronics power car in 2004. HST history and allocations can get quite complicated at times!

Back to the shade of blue discussion, having looked at mine and observed many actual examples at Derby, I am beginning to suspect Hornby may have used the local Stagecoach blue as on the Class 153 rather than the mainline Stagecoach blue. Not been able to compare yet.

Richard

Andrew,

You are quite right in the respect that when originally built they were part of the Western allocation. However my refernce was to the final paragraph of the Hornby right up on the back of the box which states that at BR privatisation they passed to Virgin Trains and then went into storage; in fact they were part of the original Midland Mainline fleet post privatisation and appeared in tangerine and teal followed by the second MML blue livery before being the prototype EastMidlands Trains livery. They did not come across to MML (the company as opposed to the route) as part of the RIO fleet which is what the box history implies! Incidently 43048 was selected to be named TCB Miller in recognition of the man behind the development of the HST fleet as it was the prototype Brush electronics power car in 2004. HST history and allocations can get quite complicated at times!

Back to the shade of blue discussion, having looked at mine and observed many actual examples at Derby, I am beginning to suspect Hornby may have used the local Stagecoach blue as on the Class 153 rather than the mainline Stagecoach blue. Not been able to compare yet.

Richard

Correct, looks like they got the box info mixed up with FGW locos laugh.gif and I've just applied the front numbers (which were forgotten by Hornby). . should have them finished next week smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to add, Hornby have moved the LED's around to suit the revised MML/EMT light clusters, so the reds are innermost to the grille, instead of being in the middle as per pre refurb HST's. Credit where credits due! smile.gif

What I thought was interesting, is that the RExM magazine simply noted the colour inaccuracies and light cluster, but not the poor printing such as the letters of East Midlands Trains. Since REx normally are fairly harsh in reviews, I wondered whether they just glossed over the power cars for nitpicking elsewhere?

Archived