The Comeback King?

Horsetan

'twould be interesting if they did a separate chassis kit as well as the full loco kit.

Looking at the MRJ article on one of these (issue #8?) recently, I got the impression that you would need to be pretty motivated to get the body to come out better than a Bachmann or Hornby one. Of course, if it gives you the freedom to build a variant that is not available RTR then that's fair enough.

Below the footplate, however, it would be nice to get some proper suspension and springs/axleboxes that have some depth to them. Etched frames would give a bit more space for DCC and speakers as well

I'm afraid I'm very unimpressed by these kits.

Still using what should be considered a clumsy slot and tab approach to kit design.

When first released it was quite special, I think it is now outdated and as a kit building project (with the quality available in RTR, that's all it is) a few more improvements could have been made other than just removing the etched chevrons.

It also now looks very overpriced when compared to the JE range - I think I'd rather buy another JE kit than bother with this one.

I'm afraid I'm very unimpressed by these kits.

Still using what should be considered a clumsy slot and tab approach to kit design.

When first released it was quite special, I think it is now outdated and as a kit building project (with the quality available in RTR, that's all it is) a few more improvements could have been made other than just removing the etched chevrons.

It also now looks very overpriced when compared to the JE range - I think I'd rather buy another JE kit than bother with this one.

Could understand a detailing kit for the Hornby 08 but a etched complete kit, do better doing another Class!

.... I'm very unimpressed by these kits......

That's not what counts. It's not "MOK The Week". Also, JE don't produce an "08", so whether they are cheap or not is neither here nor there in this context.

Those of us who missed out on a MOK "08" kit (or couldn't afford one back in the Eighties) and still want one without having to resort to the meat market that is eBay (me, for instance) will take the chance of having a re-run. For everyone else, there's Hornby / Bachmann.

Same principle applies for those who wanted a re-run of the Gibson 7F 2-8-0 kit, or indeed any kit loco that has become RTR in the last few years.

Guest jim s-w

The 47 and 40 bodyshells are still better than the RTR stuff in terms of overall shape. Their chassis however were spectaularily awful.

Sound like a coffee grinder with enough mechanical resistance to stop a real 47, plus a max speed of a scale 30mph if you were really lucky!

I would say certainly not for fleet use but for those who actually enjoy the kit building process rather than just the end result it would be a welcome return. Not everyone is just in the hobby for 'having' things after all.

Cheers

Jim

Also, JE don't produce an "08", so whether they are cheap or not is neither here nor there in this context.

Neither did I suggest they did one!

My point was emphasising that this is not a particularly great kit. Or at least, no longer as great.

Sure if you want a project to build an 08 then it may be the only game in town but "a project" is all it will be as a RTR will give a better working model in both appearance and performance.

I can understand your desire to build one from that perspective and having missed out when they were state of the art. But for me, as much as I like "projects" I can find plenty of cheaper and better ones in the JE range (and others). If I need an 08 I'll buy (bought) RTR.

I suspect there are very few who would see this as a viable option given the choice.

I asked Dave Sharp of MOK about the possibility of a chassis only kit for the 08. Apparently I'm not the only one to have done so :)

Anyway, I notice that the following update has been added to the MOK OO/EM kits webpage :

Update Announcement 23.12.10

In response to requests the kit will be made available as separate kits for Chassis, Body and Motor/Gearbox.

Chassis design to cover options for Bachmann and Hornby

Chassis price T.B.A after Christmas (Options with and without Motor Gearbox)

Body only £ 24.30

All prices to be confirmed in the New Year after all the 2011 supply increases have come in.

I'll certainly give it a go to try and get a P4 08 that runs to my satisfaction.

How ironic that Ultrascale have just delivered a Hornby 08 converson pack 2 months faster than advertised :O

• RMweb Gold

I've always wanted one......

Is that to join the gargantuan kit collection hidden throughout the house Horsetan?:lol:

Go on then one more won't hurt!:D ;)

Cheers,

Mark

I asked Dave Sharp of MOK about the possibility of a chassis only kit for the 08. Apparently I'm not the only one to have done so :)

Anyway, I notice that the following update has been added to the MOK OO/EM kits webpage :

Update Announcement 23.12.10

In response to requests the kit will be made available as separate kits for Chassis, Body and Motor/Gearbox.

Chassis design to cover options for Bachmann and Hornby

Chassis price T.B.A after Christmas (Options with and without Motor Gearbox)

Body only £ 24.30

All prices to be confirmed in the New Year after all the 2011 supply increases have come in.

I'll certainly give it a go to try and get a P4 08 that runs to my satisfaction.

How ironic that Ultrascale have just delivered a Hornby 08 converson pack 2 months faster than advertised :O

Oh, that's excellent :P :D :lol:

Will we all start asking about the possible return of the "40" and "47" as body-only plus bogie-sideframe kits?

Guest jim s-w

Hi

Given the construction of the 47 and 40 bodies youd be hard pushed to marry them to any of the RTR boys chassis (if thats what you have in mind?)

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

for a - you could etch new bulkheads I suppose. B is always good but you forgot C - frame the flat etch because it looks pretty - In the case of the 47 it certainly did!

Cheers

Jim

for a - you could etch new bulkheads I suppose. B is always good but you forgot C - frame the flat etch because it looks pretty - In the case of the 47 it certainly did!.....

Right, I shall send Dave Sharp another e-mail.

Diesel life has suddenly become a lot more interesting.....

Archived