Dartford Exhibition 2011

Baby Deltic

We (the SP Team that is) all enjoyed ourselves (apart from one point motor failing, the layout behaved itself very well for a change)

After the 'morning of hell' we had with South Pimlico at Colchester, I feared the worst.

After we decided before the show this morning to close the branch, the layout behaved very well indeed with just a few minor incidents. It was the best running session I can remember having with the layout.

I tidied the sequence a little & none of our reserve stock needed to turn a wheel. I even managed to keep the layout running on my own for a while this morning without a problem while Colin chatted to some viewers.

It was easier with 2 operators than 3 for most of the time. The third normally seemed to get in the way. We were also on the road in less than an hour after the show finished.

I reckon you should get a Dapol class 22 then, Colin.:lol:

(tries to reply politely...) :D

We never even needed to use any of the reserve stock we brought along ourselves. :P

Hi - just in case they are on this forum many thanks to the very polite and knowledgable guy who allowed me to test what looked like bargain of the century ( city of sheffield dcc sound ) on his dcc wagon shunting layout. Im really sorry I cant recall your stands name but you were at the end of the long corridor near the ramp - thanks again you saved me £85 !!

p.s ref punters being in early both days - as number 1 in the queue on the saturday I can vouch for the fact that we werent let in until bang on 10 and had to endure numerous bacon rolls passing the entrance doors in the hands of helpers exhibitors before we could get in - pure torture. If anyone was in early they must have climbed through the toilet window.

Chris

Hi Chris - it was me down on Pushabout Sidings, only too happy to have been of service. Glad you got your money back too.

The Bacon roll temptation is a trial to weed out the weak from the visitors, only the strongest willed can get to the shops before eating,

Better luck with your next sound purchase.

Shame you didn't make it to the show this weekend BD, maybe next time!

I would have liked to have come, but to be honest, I've not been very well for the last couple of weeks, plus I'm in pain a lot of the time because of my illness. Hopefully by the Leytonstone show things will be better.

• RMweb Premium

I would have liked to have come, but to be honest, I've not been very well for the last couple of weeks, plus I'm in pain a lot of the time because of my illness. Hopefully by the Leytonstone show things will be better.

Put it this way, if you don't make it there could just be a few Southern locos appearing at Harford St ;) ;) :D

• 2 weeks later...

p.s ref punters being in early both days - as number 1 in the queue on the saturday I can vouch for the fact that we werent let in until bang on 10 and had to endure numerous bacon rolls passing the entrance doors in the hands of helpers exhibitors before we could get in - pure torture. If anyone was in early they must have climbed through the toilet window.

Chris

I believe there were 2 entrances?

There was certainly plenty of people circulating in the hall South Pimlico was in shortly after 9.50. Far too many to all be exhibitors.

We were a bit frustrated because we were not quite ready until 10.

Pete, I do believe that the back entrance (by the exhibitors parking) opened before they were supposed to on the Saturday.

Paul, I was helping operate Santa Barbara, you should have said hello to us poor stiffs slaving away with our iPhones to run the trains. :rolleyes:

Archived