O scale vehicles for On30 US line

Working through the requirements for vehicles for a 1930/40 On30 layout ...I need some vehicles and looked at Corgi, Lledo and similar Die-cast vehicles, only to find that many are not what they say they are in terms of scale sizes.

I knew Lledo's Days Gone range were smaller than O scale, but not by how much, and it turns out most are nearer S scale at about 1/60th approx, far smaller than the often quoted 1/43, which most are listed under on Ebay.

Lesney's Yesteryear models appear much better, the Ford Model T van is 1/43th as far as I can check, and is good for 1/48th uses. he general scale is more consistent with the old Lesney range.

Tractors are well served, 1/43 is an accepted scale, and Chinese Universal Hobbies brad covers US types, and will cover 1/48th use. Fractionally large is better than small, especially with figures matching the vehicles.

Are there any other 1930/40's US vehicles available in the UK in 1/48 or 1/43rd scale?...mainly cars are needed. The Lledo ones traced, a Mack, Tanker and a Ford A van will do to site in a background, the small size will work with careful arrangement.

Any ideas for suppliers or brands?

Stephen.

Thanks, i have traced Wiseman models in the States, they do a range of O scale 1920/30's Ford vans etc, plus a Case Steam Traction Engine, but the costs would be rather too high, $139 plus p&P for the Case traction engine, a superb kit,, and the simpler Ford types are well covered by the Matchbox Yesteryears die cast vehicles,

i just bought two Ford Model T vans for 99pence each on Ebay! and they are 1/43 rd scale , or very near, so acceptably correct for 1/48 as well, The only bad points are no glazing, and slightly wide tyres compared to dead scale size. Glazing is no problem, and the Matchbox Yesteryears re-paint very easily to good finishes, just spraying over the stoved enamel finishes.

One destined to be an ice delivery van, and one to be converted to a flat bed, with breakdown crane on the back, for a garage scene. both are UK produced items , not Chinese manufacture like current Corgi.

I will check Walthers although they many do HO scale, where vehicles are distinctly easier to source than for O scale uses.

Bertie - have a dig on here http://www.3000toys....A=1920-39=

and ebay 120647483545

Thanks, I had spotted Eligor 1/43 brand before on Ebay, most were on Auction and were heading for high prices, and the retail list shows up to $50 or more for some!

I did get a very good tractor from Universal Hobbies via Ebay, 1/43 rd scale dead on, usable for 1/48th.. They are from the part work magazine series, usually £20 or so, but some are direct from China at £5. i will check for Eligor at source!!

Stephen.

From Ebay, an Eligor die cast car, direct from China, at £ 7.99 with two figures thrown in, at 1/48 th scale, looks fantastic value, it really only needs one decent O scale car, so I think the problem is solved.

post-6750-0-13667700-1293297102_thumb.jpg

It does not say the cars make!! any body got any ideas?? Ford?..does not really matter it looks fine....and figures thrown in as well.

This is the type of wrecker I was thinking off, based on a Matchbox Model T in 1/43rd scale, the body sawn off and the flat bed built in oak strip wood and sheet brass to the same as the photo of a real wrecker tow truck.

post-6750-0-56179100-1293300887_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

I think it's a Ford Pilot, the Eligor range is French, and the Ford Pilot V8 was sold there as well as the UK. I don't think they sold them in the States though, but it is very like the US wartime Fords for the US market. Very nice car to drive, the V8 made all the difference, they were used as Police cars as well in the UK.

post-6750-0-66010400-1293302076_thumb.jpg

A conundrum....... on the maker of the Ford Pilot V8 Coupe,........ Eligor make in France, (originally a Swiss die-cast make), not made in China, but the Chinese listing on Ebay states Eligor and an older model. Does not matter really, but I will be interested to see the make on the bottom and where made. I hope the size is correct at 1/48th, which is most common Eligor model size.

Certainly looks a good match, the 1936 was the basis for the Pilot design that Ford did for post war UK market, the engine and transmission was about the same, as I think the '36 had the same V8. later to survive to this day in production as a pump engine from Ford in Canada.

The Pilot was a stop gap model, using existing design to save production costs, and a good car to drive, very fast and good handling for it's day, used by the UK police for it's durability.

The mystery is that Eligor do not list such a model, but we shall see just what arrives from China!!

Archived