SRman

Looks good SRman. The colour which is written on the jar is Dulux "Hurrican" Just think spitfire but the other one if you need another. It is just a tester pot of 250ml. My layout has only used 1 full pot so far...Then again Ash (daughter No 1) decided at one stage to help dad and watered it down by half. In some ways that is better as the paint goes further, colours the surface and penetrates better. at $7.50 a tin it is also cheap. I think the local bunnings pushes the price right up when you only want 500ml to 1litre!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a small amount of extra progress to report. I have cut the board for the left hand end of the LT circuit. I also cut several short lengths of the support boards for the upper level. None of it is screwed down yet. The curved track you see is Hornby third radius set track I am using as a template for the minimum radius - it will be replaced by Peco flexible track when I lay it properly.

I have also started soldering some of the feed wires along the previous sections. There is lots more to do but it allows me to continue running test trains along those sections.

The track with locomotives on crossing at the bottom of the picture gives an idea of the alignment of the upper level tracks to come.

The supports at the left of the picture will be cut back a bit to match the way I have cut the board surface there.

321_220043_340000000.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mark. At first I thought you might be referring to the class 50 (which is also now sitting on the layout) but it did not feature in the earlier pics! The little Black & Decker vacuum is very handy for hoovering up the detritus after the cutting, drilling and track laying activities. I also have a smaller hoover ready for action, in the shape of the Dapol track cleaning vehicle!

I had to look it up before typing this; the March meeting is at Bonbeach. I'll look forward to seeing you there. If you do change your mind and visit Sandown, I'm rostered on the BRMA stand on the Saturday ... I think! :lol:

EDIT: p.s. You may like to drop in and see my progress after the meeting. B)

• 2 months later...

I have made further progress since the last posting. As I am now in the middle of a two-week holiday I have been able to do more painting and track-laying (last week) and wiring (today). The holiday was "interrupted" by three days travelling along the Great Ocean Road though. Sad, innit??

:lol:

I have laid track to half way along the station loops and wired the three points at the right-hand end on the inner circuit ... one of those is an extra one leading to a storage siding inside the curve. This will be outside of the tunnel so will have to have high retaining walls, at least on the tunnel side of the track. I still have two points on the outer circuit to wire at the right-hand end, and four at the left-hand end to lay and wire, together with the remaining track.

A test train of CO/CP stock has now run just about 7/8 of the circuit. I also ran a Hornby 09 shunter at low speed over the wired points, with no stalling or hesitation whatsoever. The same locomotive has a wheelbase shorter than the dead sections on the unwired points so this was a good test of my wiring and the Peco micro-switches.

No pics yet but they will follow in the next couple of days.

I know why you are working so hard on getting this done :D

Sounds great SRman, you will be running trains in no time! I will have to get that upper section done in short order! Though a lot of work is required on my layout for Saturday also :) so it will have to be after then!

Soon you will be into the fun bit of scenic'ing the bit that you have done.

Chat soon

Here are the promised photos of the progress. The trains in the station loops were all driven there under their own power, notwithstanding the fact that some of the points were not fully wired and, therefore, had dead sections through the frogs. I deliberately tested those that had been through wired using my Hornby 09 shunter as its wheelbase was shorter than the dead sections. Locos with longer electrical pickup wheelbases were able to drive through the dead sections with no problems at all.

The extra curved siding can be seen in the foreground of some of the pics and is able to take a five-car Underground set - I can't quite get six cars in without tightening the radius to 18" or so (2nd radius for train set curves) but that is a compromise I'm not prepared to make.

The station buildings are perched precariously on bits of wood at approximately platform height to check clearances. The holes where the point motors and switches are mounted will be covered with stiff card.

As it is a work still in progress, I make no apologies for the tools and bits of wire lying all over the place!

Track laying continues, as does the work of wiring it to at least get things running for Saturday's AMRA visits.

321_092331_190000000.jpg

321_092331_190000004.jpg

321_092331_190000003.jpg

• Like 1

Today I laid the last pieces of track then marked out the holes for the point motors. While I haven't connected the last few wires to the micro-switches yet, or added a couple more track feeds, I test ran train on each circuit as I completed them and, to my surprise, they ran perfectly throughout, although I know the 09 shunter won't yet make it through because of its short wheelbase.

The following pics show the first, inner London Transport circuit connected up.

12-05-11-firstcircuitcompleted2-800_zps7

12-05-11-firstcircuitcompleted3-800_zps0

Then the second, outer LT circuit was connected up and Lion ran with a short parcels train.

12-05-11-bothcircuitscompleted2-800_zpsc

12-05-11-bothcircuitscompleted1-800_zps9

12-05-11-bothcircuitscompleted3-800_zpsc

12-05-11-bothcircuitscompleted5-800_zpsf

12-05-11-bothcircuitscompleted4-800_zpse

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Looks like you have made some good progress, don't get carried away with playing trains though,:D still plenty to do.;) Are these lines going to have the third and forth rail for the tube stock?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter.

Yes, the LT lines will have third and fourth rail, eventually. The upper level BR lines (not built yet!) will have third rail for the main running lines plus any carriage sidings but not for the engine shed area or any goods sidings.

I had to get trains running for the AMRA visits on Saturday; both Doug's and my layouts are included in one of their tour circuits. In the meantime, I have been enjoying watching - and listening to - trains trundling around the completed LT circuits.

Of course, much of what can be seen now will be covered over by the upper level later.

At the moment I only have the CO/CP stock converted for DCC but the Q stock will follow soon, as will one of the tube trains as soon as I fit the Metro Models pin-point bogies. The F stock will also follow but I have to build and finish three more coaches - the only resin bodied one I have is visible in some of the photos.

Much futher down the track (another pun?) I have two more EFE trains to convert (1938 and 1959/62 stock: one set is not even motorised yet) and two more surface trains to build, a four coach C69 train and a four coach A60 train.

During the work over the last few days, I have also had a massive tidy-up under the layout and rearranged the various drawer units and storage tubs. I have carefully arranged them so that the tubs are on the side of the support legs where, if i move the layout, the cross-beams will pass straight over the tubs without my having to move anything else.

Here are some photos of the layout pretty much as the AMRA visitors saw it on Saturday 14th May (pics taken on 16th May). The tunnel mouths are close to where they should be in the greater plan, although they are definitely not the final appearance! Otherwise, most of the scenic items bear little resemblance to what will eventually be in their places. The road vehicles and nissen huts are where there will be viaducts and embankments carrying the main lines. There may also be a road with a level crossing over the main lines and bridge over the LT lines but the final position will vary from the bridge placed for effect here.

16-05-11-AMRAVisitAppearance4-800_zps26f

16-05-11-AMRAVisitAppearance3-800_zpsfd0

16-05-11-AMRAVisitAppearance5-800_zps488

16-05-11-AMRAVisitAppearance7-800_zps1c0

16-05-11-AMRAVisitAppearance10-800_zps67

16-05-11-AMRAVisitAppearance9-800_zps8bc

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, looks like you have a fair bit of track for the tube stock.:lol:

Are you going to the meeting Saturday? I might have a sound loco for you to work you magic on.;)

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter. I'm not 100% sure about Saturday. Check back with me closer to the day. If not, then you could always detour slightly and drop in here on your way back home from Werribee.

Thanks for the comment lordhinton. :)

Hi SRman,

Looks like some progress has happened since I last looked which is over 5 weeks ago.

Have been in UK for 4 weeks and France for 5 days. Have got some good photos and footage, will try to post some. I have 2mins of A4 Sir Nigel Gresley at Grosmont NYMR on a Gala weekend in May, unfortunately it did not download the remaining 1.22mins which has wheel slip and pulling out of station. We had a good time.

See you some time too.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Next installment: DougN dropped over today with the hinged lift-up fiddle yard board for the upper level and helped install it ... more specifically, he installed it and I assisted! He even pre-painted it for me.

I will have to trim parts of the front edges to suit the track layout below but this is minor compared to all the hard work DougN has put into my layout.

321_130559_290000001_zps4febc0e1.jpg

321_130559_290000000_zps1cde0c88.jpg

There were two trains in motion when I took these shots, using my new DSLR camera (I still have my 'L' plates on for using that!). The trains are a pair of blue Bachmann 2EPB units (consisted) and a Bachmann green 4CEP unit.

The plate girder bridge over the far end of the LT station represents an approximate alignment for the overhead tracks of the main lines although the proper structure will be double-tracked.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Hi. No, I haven't come up with anything definitive yet. I have had a few thoughts based around corruptions of names on the SW main lines; something like Heybridge or New Hey. I'm not very imaginative when it comes to things like this, though.

What a great looking layout, excellent use of space with no duck under. I do love the baseboards, excellent quality work, I would happily commission DougN to build me some for the next iteration of the 3mm scale layout as I am hopless at woodwork. :rolleyes:

TT3 if you want a layout like SRmans all you need to do is ask! I can make it quite easily (read spent too much on wood working tools over the years!) All you need to do is send me the plan with dimensions. I will ask difficult questions which might challange your thoughts on operation so it can be exactly what you want. But Woodend I might leave up to you to pick it up from me! If you are comming to the BRMA meeting on Saturday you can look at how I put things together. SRmans is the same style as mine but a different design.

Hi Jeff,

Looking good, young Doug is a useful chap to have living around the corner.:D

I think you need to move the row of terrace houses so you can fit a few more locos in.:lol:

Would love to have a look at your new EPBs, any chance you can bring one to Dougs meeting.

Cheers Peter.