GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

No John, you are not alone in flitting from one job to another. Actually I think being able to do so is one of the joys of the hobby. it is a hobby not a production line.

On the other hand when I have some ballasting and rail painting to do I get stuck into it so as to get it over and done with.

As to temperatures, I stick to Fahrenheit, here its been consistently well over 90F and into the 100's through July and looks to continue into August. Working outside, or even sitting in the shade is impossible during the middle of the day. I rely on air conditioning to provide comfortable indoor conditions.

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Premium

John,

You are not alone in flitting from one job to another.  I echo what John F says, it is not a production line - do it as you enjoy it.

When it becomes drudgery, get your mojo back doing something else and come back to it.

Not sure why, but my Grange repaint has hit a wall.   But I'm not sweating on it - it will get done when the time and mood is there.

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see I am not alone in having all manner of projects on the go.......I guess it is part of the charm of the hobby........I will just have to curb my impatience at my inability to finish some of them in a timely fashion :sungum: 

That was a great idea of yours Tinker to mix matt black and metallic paint (I used greasy steel) to get a heat sheen effect on the smoke box and chimney.....hopefully you can see it on some of the pannier shots.......I just tried it on the steam pipes and cylinders of a prairie... looks great....thank you.

The temperature has continued to rise here (albeit not to your levels John)......35o forecast for today.....I may  develop my own heat sheen :jester: . There are horrific forest fires in the interior and the smoke which has been evident for some days is now very noticeable.......its just like the thick smog I remember from Oldham and Manchester in the sixties......not nice at all

Regards from a foggy Vancouver

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember the 60s...........

not because I was a hippy, but because my first memory is from the very early 70s  :)

50 this week just past.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My eyes, oh, my eyes. So many of those pesky green boxy tank things. Some excellent weathering work though nonetheless, even though the subject matter might be somewhat dubious...

In terms of metallic paints, I find a mix of Humbrol gunmetal and matt black with some matt leather works very well for greasy sheen. Will look forward to seeing them running around Granby (sorry, what did I just say? You are corrupting me Mr Dew...)

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You may recall that a few weeks ago I relaid the branch junction by the goods yard. It was painted and ballasted but the ballast was not glued down until I had thoroughly tested it. The last test was to run the long coal trains to and from the colliery.

Here is the up train headed by 56 xx 0-6-2T approaching the junction

605197701_156xxapproachesjunction.jpg.830523c22785436f5d47f0ab3f47a817.jpg

On the other track two panniers (specially for Tony) wait to assist the train up Cynwyd bank. They have a while to wait......in model terms its quite a long train.....over 7' which is about the longest I can manage on a 20'x10' layout.

Before running the train it got the weathering treatment

1267480914_256xxcloseup.jpg.b416e4b6e9f6fb45bcb99ca3074c67e4.jpg

I am rather pleased with the result........I think I have captured the work worn look that you expect to see on a loco that spends its day running to and from a colliery.  Apart, that is, from lamps that are far too clean and the rather wobbly spare!

This is another veteran from Granby II. Started life some 20 years ago as 5667. When ordering engraved plates Modelmaster didnt stock that number. No bad thing really because 5667, like most of the class, spent its life in South Wales.

6694, on the other hand was shedded at Croes Newyd (Wrexham) in 1950 .......success!

1088987513_2a6694.jpg.332ecdca406cf6d85b41ff0cff45b0a6.jpg

I have tried to convey a sense of the length of the train with the following shots

813271091_3fultrain.jpg.45a994325679bb63bfec16be57c9cc7a.jpg

286189535_3reverse.jpg.cc229f8a7e33a87ce9120517db031f26.jpg

888012675_4longtrain.jpg.2d86eaaca86d09a164dd86fad7fd0a58.jpg

Fnally the Brake van emerges from the tunnel

1150296055_6Bridge2.jpg.ffffb9842a21be3891178d9121b31976.jpg

Meanwhile on the other side of the layout the empties train travels slowly past Granby Goods shed on its way back to the colliery.

1656512270_7Empties.jpg.5ec238653b79a237f449b6245ae33a3b.jpg

This is the same length as the Up train. My wide angle isnt quite up to the task!

Here are some more interesting close ups

1363014076_8empties2.jpg.d785f0b6d99006df987d8066f204438c.jpg

1687805521_9Empties3.jpg.93f6078c50d4ef7c39a33f649d9f5de4.jpg

6698 (used to be 6600) was also shedded at Croes Newyd and sadly also has an over clean wobbly spare lamp

Both trains successfully travelled more than once over the new point. I had a bit of a scare in the facing direction when one wagon derailed......but it turned out to be out of gauge and easily fixed.

So all is well and I can fix the ballast and move on to the next stage of track relaying........riveting exciting shots next week!

As an aside you may have noticed in recent weeks, but been too polite to mention it, the quality of my photography has deteriorated. Fortunately Phil C, of this parish was less polite, on another forum he bluntly told me he liked the locos but the photos were too grainy. I really appreciated the comment ............it made me re check my camera settings.

I use a moderately expensive but, like its owner, ancient Pentax. It has a myriad of settings which I rarely use (or understand). I either point and shoot on green or set it on a tripod with a remote and set aperture priority at F22.

Earlier this year I set ISO to auto. Not realising meant that in aperture priority mode the camera defaulted to a high ISO level, one assumes to keep exposure time to a minimum http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif. Once I set ISO at 100  the camera had to set a longer exposure to match the poor lighting and F22 aperture........some of the shots above  took 6 seconds but do, I think, represent a distinct improvement on previous offerings.

I will leave you with perhaps my favourite of this batch which hopefully captures the spirit of Granby !

1106232077_11BW.jpg.c5e9d20c38d56bfae0351bc5a1c6b420.jpg

Edited by john dew
12/10/2022 Photos
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

John

Your full coal wagons look way way better than mine.  Which method are you using to make the loads?  Old fashioned cereal packet method or the newer cheap sponges shaped?

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photos and weathering too John.

Thank you for continued inspiration.

Don't know about inspiration.......I got most of my weathering ideas from you and Tony. So it's very encouraging that you both approve.....many thanks for the comments

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done that man your containers have been secured. :good:

Thanks Bob.........I had forgotten all about that......had to check the layout when I first read your post!

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

John

Your full coal wagons look way way better than mine.  Which method are you using to make the loads?  Old fashioned cereal packet method or the newer cheap sponges shaped?

They are pretty old and very dusty.....I probably need to refresh the coal again. The loads on the long train are permanent. I used black artists mount board glued to card supports with a generous amount of crushed real BC coal glued on top. Spraying with dilute PVA, as per ballast, dulls the finish so I spread a thick layer of neat PVA, scatter the coal on top and when dry give it a good shake to get rid of the loose stuff.

When I have finished the branch relay I am going to run a pick up coal train to the brewery,dairy etc and that will need removable loads. Richard from Buckingham West has done it rather well so I think I will be copying his method

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes gentlemen................its good to know the posts are appreciated. 

Having passed a variety of running tests the ballast on the branch junction has been permanised.

Cynwyd East Signal box and its associated signals are now back in place.

The original track and ground cover were laid ten years ago. Trying to blend in the new cover was something of a challenge

1196526123_1Signalsback.jpg.94acf4b4142bb9ef08e641efdda65a14.jpg

This has nothing to do with the narrative but I dont believe I have shown the Mikes Models token apparatus before.  I couldnt resist this closeup of Dai Hughes, relief signalman, replacing the Bersham token on the bullhorn (hopefully I have used all the correct terms!)

2142650374_10Token.jpg.6a9c87db03c3cc93c597cabc929e91b3.jpg

Okay back to the script.......here is a shot of the newly replaced signal box, lamp hut and signals taken from the other side of the canal.

You can just catch a glimpse of Dai beyond the lamp hut.

1601041898_3cynwydeastcloseup.jpg.a5e31c203fd9f1e975c7330d45c902ac.jpg

So thats it......job done.

For a glimpse of the next stage of the project the camera has to turn through 180o  to the other corner of the room

1504737628_4ParcelsDepot.jpg.baaec0c4d7a792b53f6a01309464604e.jpg

The Parcels depot and a row of terraced houses which conceal the lower level storage loops and sidings

235630063_5Parcelscloseup.jpg.37218b587b5e7890a626ba2b32163f28.jpg

The hidden sidings seemed a good idea at the time. However with two insulfrog double slips they have turned out to be over complicated. Despite the strategically placed peepholes, automatic operation has proved to be somewhat fraught........ In fact so fraught I dont bother.

Time for a rethink

2061462929_6Demo1.jpg.e3022e84d7b06c0578df61639d414820.jpg

1717799454_7Washingline.jpg.b0e6f96f07f651646cf932d9428dbb81.jpg

Having just survived the blitz, poor Edith Jones, in the blue dress, has now temporaly lost not only her house but the washing line on which, moments ago, she was hanging out her smalls to dry.

1055683704_12Washingcloseup.jpg.a6568735d9b61e8876b4bce7f2c76690.jpg

Not sure who is the more astonished....Edith,her mum or baby Gareth. Joe Morgan the shunter looks quite gobsmacked.

Panning round to the station ...........hopefully the Austin 7 has good brakes!

492326903_9Station2.jpg.166940623b544f77101b159fe4ab9c0c.jpg

This busy street scene will soon have to be lifted clear so that the second double slip can be removed.

Lots to do.......when complete I hope to finish up with two parallel smooth running storage sidings......each siding divided into three separate detected blocks........thus, in addition to the auto train and diesel rail car that are currently stabled there, I will be able to store and operate 4 additional trains on the lower level. No complicated manouveres in the hidden sidings but opportunity for automated shunting in the open

So here is a look into the future as the Pick up goods (hopefully hauled by a soon to be delivered Dean Goods) passes over the lower lock gates at Richard's Wharf basin

944574409_11Canal.jpg.e5d0b3c52fa0bcba41d246a3de454882.jpg

Regards from Vancouver where thankfully it is a little cooler and the smoke from the forest fires has finally cleared

Edited by john dew
12/10/2022 Photos
  • Like 13

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Blushes.....Spell check didn't like it......but it looked sort of ok

Regards

Hello John,

Blush ye not! Over here in 'the old country' we are often told that English is a fluid, dynamic, ever evolving tapestry and that much of that change in the language is being driven by the 'New World'. Almost every year in the UK when the Oxford English Dictionary is updated that will be an article on the TV news (usually when nothing is happening politically!) updating us on the new words incorporated into the language. Perhaps 'permanised' will be your contribution and could be known hereafter as a "Dewism'! ;-)

John, I've just begun to realise something about your layout. A lot of the photographs you take are big, panoramic views and often taken from 'on high', i.e. a 'birds eye' view. It's only with this more recent set of photo's I've begun to realise that you have set up exquisite little cameo scenes: Joe Morgan, Edith, her Mum and Baby Gareth, people queueing for the bus outside Granby station, a bicycle leaning against a parapet next to a privy. Is that a man tending to a vegetable plot? I can't quite make it out. Can I request that you include a few more close-up shot in future and take more images closer to ground level? There is a whole 'dimension' to Granby that can be best appreciated from that perspective......

For what it's worth I appreciate the job you've done on weathering the locos - that 66xx looks appropriately worn and tired and I particularly like the fire-irons resting on the top of the tank on the fireman's side! I have just one suggestion however - tone down the lamps as well. Many years ago my Art teacher told me that in nature pure black and pure white don't exist. He was exaggerating for effect of course, but making a good point. An idea might be to 'wash' them over with a dirty blend of greys and brown and then wipe it off again. The dirt will remain in the crevices and will make the lamp appear toned down and more three dimensional.

Best Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, lexicon time once more.

The thing you have called 'the bullhorn' was technically officially known as 'the Setting Down post' and was where the Fireman would deposit the token carrier as a train left the single line section.  Quite what everyday or slang names it was given I'm not entirely sure but I bet you're not far off the truth of one of them ('cow horn' rings a dim & distant bell with me).  Thus a Signalman would not be placing a token carrier on it but would be removing the token carrier from it after the train had passed (which i'm sure is what you actually meant to say of course ;) ).  

The 'Picking Up post' was the one with teh small cast tube on top and the Fireman would lean put and oput his arm through the hoop of the token carrier in order to pick up a token - which would have been previously placed on the Picking Up post by the Signalman.  

• RMweb Gold

Hello John,

Blush ye not! Over here in 'the old country' we are often told that English is a fluid, dynamic, ever evolving tapestry and that much of that change in the language is being driven by the 'New World'. Almost every year in the UK when the Oxford English Dictionary is updated that will be an article on the TV news (usually when nothing is happening politically!) updating us on the new words incorporated into the language. Perhaps 'permanised' will be your contribution and could be known hereafter as a "Dewism'! ;-)

John, I've just begun to realise something about your layout. A lot of the photographs you take are big, panoramic views and often taken from 'on high', i.e. a 'birds eye' view. It's only with this more recent set of photo's I've begun to realise that you have set up exquisite little cameo scenes: Joe Morgan, Edith, her Mum and Baby Gareth, people queueing for the bus outside Granby station, a bicycle leaning against a parapet next to a privy. Is that a man tending to a vegetable plot? I can't quite make it out. Can I request that you include a few more close-up shot in future and take more images closer to ground level? There is a whole 'dimension' to Granby that can be best appreciated from that perspective......

For what it's worth I appreciate the job you've done on weathering the locos - that 66xx looks appropriately worn and tired and I particularly like the fire-irons resting on the top of the tank on the fireman's side! I have just one suggestion however - tone down the lamps as well. Many years ago my Art teacher told me that in nature pure black and pure white don't exist. He was exaggerating for effect of course, but making a good point. An idea might be to 'wash' them over with a dirty blend of greys and brown and then wipe it off again. The dirt will remain in the crevices and will make the lamp appear toned down and more three dimensional.

Best Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy

As always a very helpful and constructive post.

I have always enjoyed creating the various cameos that populate the layout and they are usually the first thing that visitors remark about. Because I tend to treat my posts as a Granby progress report they often only get shown on completion of a particular project or in the background. I am afraid I lack the imagination of my friend John Flann who creates the most convincing back stories or legends for his Hintock layouts. Edith and baby Gareth were a complete afterhought when I had finished typing the post.  I am so glad you enjoyed it......I will try and do more in the future.

It was your post about Halls back in January, of course, that really got me started on loco weathering. I am both pleased and relieved that you approve of the 66xx. In case you are wondering the Halls are all renumbered, and mostly renamed and unlined......they sit in my weathering in box while I acquire the skills on more mundane locos. I need to get them done soon....mixed traffic working has come to a halt on Granby.....no fruit, milk or even newspapers!

You are absolutely correct about the pristine lamps.....I do normally weather them.....these two slipped through and I was too idle to re shoot :nono: 

Best wishes

John   

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2017 at 08:36, The Stationmaster said:

Ah, lexicon time once more.

The thing you have called 'the bullhorn' was technically officially known as 'the Setting Down post' and was where the Fireman would deposit the token carrier as a train left the single line section.  Quite what everyday or slang names it was given I'm not entirely sure but I bet you're not far off the truth of one of them ('cow horn' rings a dim & distant bell with me).  Thus a Signalman would not be placing a token carrier on it but would be removing the token carrier from it after the train had passed (which i'm sure is what you actually meant to say of course ;) ).  

The 'Picking Up post' was the one with teh small cast tube on top and the Fireman would lean put and oput his arm through the hoop of the token carrier in order to pick up a token - which would have been previously placed on the Picking Up post by the Signalman.  

150791348_10Token.jpg.9f2ed8125b25d60138a7314bf9bfefef.jpg

Hi Mike

You are right of course, I forgot about the tube on the pick up post. The kit originally came with a tube and detachable token. Sadly the token got misplaced......the court of inquiry (or would it be a board? The railways seemed to like military terms)  determined its loss was due to an Act (or hand) of God........it was replaced by a Montys Model figure with the token firmly attached to Dai's hand.

He is in fact about to replace it on the Picking up post for trains heading to Bersham.

Single engine in steam working ends at Cynwyd East Box........the single line to Cynwyd station and beyond is signalled........somewhere in the annals of an earlier RMweb I think I have your seal of approval! :jester::O

The setting down post is on the other side of line complete with net in case the driver misses the cow horn (I guess I got confused about sex...perhaps understandable at my age)

429288164_13cowhorn.jpg.464e72fbdff7b9281b46e9ba81277f16.jpg

Best wishes

John

Edited by john dew
12/10/2022 Photos
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments and likes guys. I see that since the last post Granby passed the 50,000 view threshold.......not a huge number in comparison with many layouts on RMWeb but a significant milestone for Granby........thank you for all your support over the years.

So the plan outlined two weeks ago was intended to be a simple relay to create better use of the lower level storage sidings. http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

2124684457_1Demo1.jpg.25b6ec0c1c4230b383b6c0e203ea4a2c.jpg

It involved replacing the double slip seen above with two turnouts.....one for the storage sidings and the other providing access to the brewery.

Renovations never go entirely to plan and this was no exception

1077048485_2Demolition.jpg.64ccce0d867a3f216bf6e3585d966f25.jpg

I was able to keep one of the slip tortoises to power the brewery turnout but my plan to relocate and use the second tortoise didnt work out.

So once again I had to revert to a board mounted Peco motor and a frog polarity switching unit was hastily ordered from DCC Concepts.....one of the new all singing/dancing units with polarity memory.

603723508_7NewPoints.jpg.6c1f572cb99826546f5edf2b7b31b357.jpg

The new storage sidings actually worked as planned........the outer, longer loop divided into three blocks each able to accommodate a 5-6 wagon goods train.

So now the branch will be served by a pick up goods, a short coal train straight from the colliery and a cattle train...........so at long last the cattle dock at Cynwyd built 2009 will have a train to serve it............assuming I can find the box of half assembled Coopercraft wagon kits......last seen....about 2009. They must be quite valuable  now? :jester:

788485574_8Stock.jpg.295fce58e58f69d87a80d1deb007b49e.jpg

The inner loop has been divided into two short blocks and a longer block in the centre. One short block will accommodate the Diesel rail car and the other the autotrain. Both these blocks  have sufficient space for their designated train with the addition of a Siphon or two wagons and a brake van so I can run the occasional mixed train.

The centre block will probably have a longish coal train hauled by a HUGE tank engine  hopefully also on its way from the UK

So thats it......done and dusted. I need to write some RR&Co schedules and do a lot of testing....particularly stop and brake distances and then the covers and parcel depot can go back in place and Edith Jones can be re united with her washing.

The next project was kind of unplanned but is definitely already in hand.......

This is the brewery circa 20010

1708058757_3Brewery1A.jpg.75c4c3f8f6dedc43b59e951d9bc3602e.jpg

I have never been entirely satisfied with it. However using the old army mantra of prioritising projects into Must do,Should do and Could do........ two weeks ago the brewery was probably halfway down the could do list.

To access and replace the double slip one or two brewery buildings and track had to be temporarily removed.

As often happens when renovating........one thing led to another

809470958_5Site1.jpg.18cc06b0dedd198740a9ea03c917b6c8.jpg

1392331597_6Site2.jpg.8079d81e97f689ddf61a682121ec4c49.jpg

And now the brewery has climbed to the top of the Must do list!

More next week.......regards from a hot and sunny Vancouver

Edited by john dew
12/10/2022 Photos
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hurry up with tha brewery please, I'm getting thirsty here...

The modifications look good John, and another 6 trains of storage is certainly going to improve operations I'm sure. As for those Coopercraft kits, are they on the should do list now? If so, you know that decreases your chance of finding them...

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes guys. Found the Coopercraft kits Tony.......rather a sorry sigh....photos to come

Its a September evening in North Wales.......I hope you can sense the heat radiating from those grimy walls and terraces as Collet Goods 2259 waits for the signal to the goods relief loop at Cynwyd..

1051992556_1BlackandWhite.jpg.d5626d63ef341e7976498c879fbf78f6.jpg

Perhaps not your typical GWR branch scene...... certainly little comparison with the Hintocks, Brents and Little Muddles that I admire daily

This is the first of my goods trains that will operate on the lower level. Spent most of last week fettling and fixing as I ran it round and round the new circuit. The train is a mixture of old and new but a common feature was the necessity to get NEM coupling pockets fitted at a standard height. The bulky tension lock couplings were chopped out of the old stock and Dapols droopy pockets replaced on the new.

1034318634_2PassingGoodsYard.jpg.a530ab0577ce432b6cbbeb60675f2e36.jpg

Here are some snapshots as the train eases past the coal siding and on to the loop

420445208_3PassingCoalYard.jpg.d16d7df0ad1529f6b280505a673ea772.jpg

The plan is to drop off and pick up the two leading wagons in Cynwyd yard. This pair of Suncole coke wagons are 20 year old veterans of Granby I

The rear wagons including this Ale wagon will be exchanged at Danby brewery

141986208_4AleWagon.jpg.e14bc25c2712527f99cc2e2bab6866ce.jpg

140955081_5Grano.jpg.f285fd3b028587510c3762595bd4ee97.jpg

Rather conveniently for me GRANO was the GWR telegraph code for bulk Grain carriers.

Any idea how the grain would be discharged at the brewery.....top or bottom? Suggestions much appreciated

691301799_4BWGrano.jpg.a5a59140baab22ad4a35db44cb0c7084.jpg

1405173403_6Brake.jpg.308f1a9565ed8de0a07b79679a75d1a4.jpg

The Hornby Brake Van bringing up the rear presents a sharp contrast to some of my older stock with its fine detail. I do like the separate hand rails.

This van has been weathered, lamped and branded although I have to confess the side lamp is only on one side. http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_redface.gif They are quite fragile and the train room floor must be littered with them.

Similarly Granby is only on one side. You can guess where the G came from but there are only a limited number of Granos and Banburys on a transfer sheet. http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

480975405_7Guard.jpg.590f12b008febb18bf2780826f58f239.jpg

The Guard is one of the Moduloc range of 3D figures. They are made by scanning real life figures. Its a very interesting range of train crew and station staff in (obviously) life like poses. Usual disclaimer....just a very satisfied customer.

Shunting completed the train leaves Cynwyd for its last drop off at Danby Brewery

1431561933_8BWGuard.jpg.7706f2f84283f1694186b60205aa1187.jpg

Back to reality......the train leaves the stage and enters the wings.......the still uncovered storage siding. The newly laid track is now ballasted but Danby Brewery,the demolition site on the right, will, I am afraid, have to  remain a figment of my imagination for some time.

2040041666_9Storage.jpg.8d3fa92d01b0fbe6d43ea666c0db238c.jpg

Regards from Vancouver where we continue to enjoy/suffer 30o + days. The cooling off-shore breezes have ceased so the smoke from the forest fires has returned......not at all pleasant but it must be so much worse for the poor folk in the interior

John

Edited by john dew
12/10/2022 Photos
  • Like 12