GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Premium

Nice video John.  Inspiring as always.  

You are not the only one who has to renumber the rear beam on the 72XX............

• RMweb Gold

Glad you liked the video despite its quality. I took it with the iPhone and when I played it back it was crystal clear but when converted to YouTube it became very fuzzy.......I guess I need to do some digging to check if there are some settings I can change.

Glad I am not alone with the 72xx

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

In the last post I mentioned the three point motors I had installed on the brewery. Being a retro fit they had to be surface mounted.

The first was a Peco Side Mount with which most will be familiar

IMGP1359_edited-1.JPG.bb7069df0384dde3d338ce58a00b41cb.JPG

Rather large footprint but easy to install. I hook them up to a DCC Concepts Solenoid Decoder, to switch the polarity of electrofrog points and integrate with my RR&Co system.

They are not very powerful and can have difficulty overcoming the resistance of a Peco point spring. Remove the spring and you can run the risk of the blade moving because it is not held in place by the throw arm. Having said that I have number of them dotted around Granby that operate satisfactorily

For the two remaining points I decided to try a pair of the recently introduced SS Cobalt Motors

IMGP1361.JPG.37e6c2b3e1ce67c5f4980c75d3db83bb.JPG

IMGP1360_edited-1.JPG.8201a67a0529911395443f19a30bc44c.JPG

The motor connections are "plug and play" hence the oversize hole for the wiring

Quick 15 sec video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az9sdIVPNVU

The Peco spring is removed and the stepped motor holds the blade in place despite the apparent flimsiness of the link arm.

You can adjust the length and velocity of the throw on the decoder but its still a bit tricky to find the sweet spot to optimise the throw hence all the abandoned screw holes

The decoder will be hidden by the brewery building.

IMGP1362_edited-1.JPG.5c21c2abd82e91b3b31a2a610903a6bb.JPG

IMGP1365_edited-1.JPG.d086ad3526c7a6d230c915e6c487c777.JPG

Bottom right you can see the plug in connection for the point motor. Power is supplied by the DCC bus which can be daisy chained to the individual point connections. The only wire that needs to come directly from the point is the frog connection....yellow wire bottom centre.

There are connections for a push button switch, an LED and a spare SPDT switch.........redundant for me because I use the RR&Co switchboard on the computor or Ipad.

I like the small footprint, easy connection and so far have been impressed with the mechanical operation. Unfortunately there is a software issue.

After a period of inactivity  (as little as 30 minutes) the unit loses memory and "forgets" its last position. If the blade was left at position [+] and you want to move the blade to position [-]  pressing/entering  [-] has no effect......you have to press [+] before pressing [-]............not good!

I wasted a ton of time trying to resolve this before emailing them DCC Concepts. I got this reply by return:

"We have recently found that there is an issue after powering down if they are set to CCW. The problem has been resolved in software and the current units cannot easily be reprogrammed. The next production batch will have the amended software.

The immediate fix is to run with the switch set to CW and use the reverse extension as supplied with the motors and control board.
If you do not have enough reverse connectors, we will send one out to you".

The fix works on one motor and they are sending me a reverse extension for the other.
DCC Concepts provide some very innovative products which I will continue to buy but I do wish they would carry out more exhaustive pre-launch testing.

Apologies for the techy post.....next post back to the brewery and at least one Pannier.

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
29/9/2022 Photos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back to the brewery!

The copper house roof now has gable windows and a ventilation turret. Apart from adding gutters and drain pipes, its complete

IMGP1390_edited-1.JPG.3ebbf154c504694f4d7a77c8e52b72eb.JPG

IMGP1387_edited-1.JPG.d4a87c3abfc8c33098183934a6e18899.JPG

It would have taken forever to try and make individual louvres for the ventilators and I suspect the end result would have been disappointing.

The ridged plasticard I used to create faux louvres was still quite time consuming; 

IMGP1366.JPG.cbedb88e3164027053c152de90cbf4dc.JPG

IMGP1370.JPG.393a0425ba340805c951a5e5d17e0fde.JPG

The main brewery building will have these vents right round the roof so the turret was useful practice in precision cutting

The part finished water tank is now on top of the the grist mill tower

IMGP1393_edited-1.JPG.4dd235bf596735d72cc1bbdac4ecd830.JPG

Hook Norton has a continuation of the tower wall on one side of the water tank. I copied this feature, even though I dont understand its original purpose. On the model , though, it helps conceal that the water tank (a Dapol/Airfix kit).is smaller than the towers standard Scalescene footprint. It will also support the gabled roof that finishes off the structure

IMGP1395_edited-1.JPG.602a60e7099f2dad199991207bc0d240.JPG

I guess this is the first display of Danby Brewery's colour scheme. Green was bound to be the main colour from the moment I ordered "Coronation", a Barclay 0-4-0 from Hattons.

Choosing the second colour took rather longer as the two tone effect on the Tank will be repeated below on the Sack Hoist and thus become a prominent feature of the entire bulding.

Another feature that will be replicated on the hoist is a row of narrow windows on each floor

Cutting the window frames for the tank was therefore more useful learning experience.

IMGP1352_edited-1.JPG.115bb792ac7fe050e0a26c41e29122a2.JPG

IMGP1368.JPG.e9969223677c9270f3be87381fbce020.JPG

IMGP1398_edited-1.JPG.3b1ab97c65089dfb5f45c5aa754f8fea.JPG

Still to do.......Sack Hoist, Vents and gabled turreted roof on the main building and gabled roof on the water tank

IMGP1403.JPG.596197761413dcd5a4d5359409f76179.JPG

When I get involved in a major project like this there is always a danger that it will occupy all my available modelling time resulting in no trains being run for weeks........this time I am try to exert some self discipline by only spendingt 2 or 3 days a week on the brewery.

In the other half of the week I am continueing to develop a fairly complex routine involving both a milk train and a parcel train.

Last week I started a small component of this routine.....a sequence involving the station pilot shunting some parcel vans from the depot in preparation for pick up :

IMGP1407_edited-1.jpg.86b6e458714a8dff49e8c64871c7dedd.jpg

More to come.........but I did promise a Pannier photo1

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
29/9/2022 Photos
  • Like 12

John, coming on very nicely. It has a brewery air about it, but I don't think even you could reproduce that distinctive odour.

As to the louvres I use Ratio standard station fencing cut to fit, in an upright manner.

Fresh, bright and sunny here,

Regards,

PS on Edit, John you can see an example  of the louvres in post #2199 on my Hintock thread. They are in the buildings behind the Dairy chimney and also in other assorted images. They make quite nice and appropriate features.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The brewery is coming along a treat and I really like the gabled roof, it sets off the whole structure I think and gives it different roof lines which I always like.  As for the last photo though, I will refrain from commenting...

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

John, coming on very nicely. It has a brewery air about it, but I don't think even you could reproduce that distinctive odour.

As to the louvres I use Ratio standard station fencing cut to fit, in an upright manner.

Fresh, bright and sunny here,

Regards,

PS on Edit, John you can see an example  of the louvres in post #2199 on my Hintock thread. They are in the buildings behind the Dairy chimney and also in other assorted images. They make quite nice and appropriate features.

Hi John

So glad you approve. In an attempt to get that distinctive aroma I could, perhaps, leave the odd empty can of Speckled Hen lying around? On reflection Doreen might have the odd word to say about that!

Thanks for posting that tip about the louvres. I have spent a lot of time over the years looking at Hintock et al for ideas......cant believe I missed them. Simple yet effective.....great example of your "less is more" philosophy. I think I am committed to my plasticard for this build but I will certainly be using it in the future.

7 days of rain forecast here so I guess you will be getting some snow shortly.

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

The brewery is coming along a treat and I really like the gabled roof, it sets off the whole structure I think and gives it different roof lines which I always like.  As for the last photo though, I will refrain from commenting...

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Glad you like it.....I was originally attracted to Hook Norton because their site had a schematic showing where the various processes were located. This meant I could design the buildings in a realistic fashion. However, the more I studiedit  the more fascinated I became with the actual design features and the way these features were maintained on buildings of different heights and shapes........obviously I have had to use some modellers licence but hopefully the finished model will have at least a passing resemblance to Hook.

I knew I would get into trouble with you re the Pannier shot......and there are more to come. I tried to get a quit pro quo in early....did you not notice the background in the Dean video........a LNER (actually my only) loco on Granby!

Best wishes

• RMweb Gold

I've said this before on other fora, several times in fact and the simple truth is that one can never have too many Panniers.

Well done John, including the brewery and I'll leave you in peace to the seed catalogues!

Warm and sunny here, but all our recent rain has swelled the door to my furniture store and I can't get to my trusty old modelling table, given to me by the father of the bride, complete with LMS transit stickers on the underside! Since dearest Doug is no longer with us, I'll forgive him for not using the GWR! Over to plan B then for some kit bashing.

Best,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill

My apologies for not replying sooner. We normally correspond in anther place..........so having read the above in my email I went to the said other place to reply and of course could find nothing........yet another sign I am moving gracelessly into my dotage.

Glad you like the Brewery. Sorry to hear about the weather ......didnt realised it rained like that on the Loire....although, for us, in the rain forest its the winter norm..... after a brief respite  we have another straight 7 days to look forwrd too!

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning all.

As promised, here is the Up Parcels sequence.

I sometimes think my posts are a bit verbose so this time I have tried to tell the tale with photos and minimal explanation. 

The first stage involves the station pilot moving two outgoing vans from the parcels siding to the outer trailing siding off the Up line.

IMGP1404_edited-1.JPG.87adc63342372ac9f82d53508dd7a71a.JPG

IMGP1410.JPG.a0d422b8dc19bb0bbe164e21113a1a75.JPG

The parcels depot was something of an afterthought......the facing platform, Bay #1, has to be used as a head shunt.

The incoming Ellesmere Autotrain, seen above, normally uses Platform 1 so it has to be redirected to Bay #3

IMGP1413.JPG.6d79e77f38156d87c9b34321cddd9a59.JPG

IMGP1428_edited-1.JPG.8d80b5588c40488f67f72e8048b63446.JPG

IMGP1429_edited-1.JPG.55bd35cf8a6d319c9c110737f878868a.JPG

The pilot leaves the vans in the siding and returns to the Parcels siding to clear the Depot siding ready for the incoming vans

In this shot, taken from a passing aeroplane, the 10.05 Birkenhead-Wolverhampton parcels hauled by an unidentified Hall approaches Granby Junction.

The train consists of a fixed rake of 4 vans plus 2 vans at the rear which will be exchanged at Granby.

IMGP1435_edited-1.JPG.2be3ad09e55134e14ea739d214335543.JPG

The Hall enters Bay #3  just vacated by the autotrain on its return journey to Ellesmere...

IMGP1436_edited-1.JPG.483ead58d6f0d6849ed60f3ac8059691.JPG

IMGP1440_edited-1.JPG.da72d521a2627c545821e2b7c244081b.JPG

IMGP1442_edited-1.JPG.736bce06ebebb4f51e0466478a278653.JPG

Once clear of the Bay entrance the train reverses into the second (inner) trailing siding

IMGP1445_edited-1.JPG.00c85c93c134dcccf73c1429d5fa7127.JPG

IMGP1446_edited-1.jpg.e6b3a9fdb44376ba8f6313dfa2d6c189.jpg

The two incoming vans are uncoupled ready to be transferred by the pilot to the now empty Depot siding

The Hall.....4905 Barton Hall... returns to Bay #3 and, once clear of the entrance points, reverses into the outer siding to pick up the two vans previously left there by the pilot.

IMGP1474.JPG.ab499f2875869bf304c931c79b54444f.JPG

Once coupled, the completed train moves back on to the main Up line ready to resume its trip to Wolverhampton.

IMGP1473.JPG.b1894e215bc67f7fb5259e44458f7f35.JPG

IMGP1473_edited-1.JPG.14759889b063ed85565235b7ae1cb58e.JPG

I have some slightly better shots of Barton Hall from the other side, leaving the station, which I will post later this week.

Regards from a wet and windy Vancouver

John

IMGP1438_edited-1.JPG

IMGP1439_edited-1.JPG

IMGP1474_edited-1.jpg

Edited by john dew
29/9/22 Photos
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill

My apologies for not replying sooner. We normally correspond in another place..........so having read the above in my email I went to the said other place to reply and of course could find nothing........yet another sign I am moving gracelessly into my dotage.

Best wishes

John

Hi John,

Best to embrace it John, as I'm reminded increasingly with the steady passing of time that I'm probably much older than I actually feel. Apparently, I'm due to receive a state pension next year, that is of course, if the state doesn't increase the pensionable age yet again. The good thing though, is that I'll get some more railway tickets from HM Govt sooner or later, so Hattons will also do well out of it.

Yes rain, but as we approach our traditionally coldest month here, I'll take that over the white fluffy stuff!

Of course, February should also see Oxford's long awaited unlined green Dean Goods. I could use some of that pension now actually, as the new Collet 0-6-0 and the Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 are also imminent :)

Stay warm and snug,

Bill

Edited by longchap

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, Some lovely pictures above, your Layout always looks busy but not to the point of being un-realistic, just loads of atmosphere.

Thanks Andy........I am so glad you like the photos. It is very re assuring to know that you think that I have created something approaching the look of an industrial landscape in the late forties...........I spend a lot of time trying to embed realistic "time stamps" although I have to say Granby owes more to my memories of East Lancashire than North Wales!

Best Wishes

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Best to embrace it John, as I'm reminded increasingly with the steady passing of time that I'm probably much older than I actually feel. Apparently, I'm due to receive a state pension next year, that is of course, if the state doesn't increase the pensionable age yet again. The good thing though, is that I'll get some more railway tickets from HM Govt sooner or later, so Hattons will also do well out of it.

Yes rain, but as we approach our traditionally coldest month here, I'll take that over the white fluffy stuff!

Of course, February should also see Oxford's long awaited unlined green Dean Goods. I could use some of that pension now actually, as the new Collet 0-6-0 and the Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 are also imminent :)

Stay warm and snug,

Bill

Hi Bill

At least your pension will be index linked! Mine remains at precisely the same amount as when I started to draw it over a decade ago. It is quite bizarre that UK emigrants, living in the old "Dominions" , do not have their UK Govt Pensions index linked.........if I had emigrated to France or Italy.....or even Bulgaria (I believe) it would be different.

Rant over......Canada has other attractions and fortunately I am not reliant on the monthly transfer from Tyneside......just annoys me!

To return railway matters..........like you I am eagerly anticipating a Barclay for the brewery and an unlined green Dean. Still no news of the latter......I thought it was on the boat in late December?

Best wishes

John 

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant sequence John.  I have said it on ANTB and I will say it here:  A 4-6-0 on NPCCS work is tough to beat.

Thanks for the inspiration as ever.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice sequence, John. 

I do like the King Street Parcels Depot, I'm sure I've seen a photo of the prototype somewhere  :)

You are teasing me of course Mikkel.......its a figment of my imagination using a goods shed rescued from Granby I........but the flattery is very much appreciated. :sungum:

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant sequence John.  I have said it on ANTB and I will say it here:  A 4-6-0 on NPCCS work is tough to beat.

Thanks for the inspiration as ever.

Always have a soft spot for NPCCS trains, and when it is combined with an excellent sequence like that, all the better.

Great stuff!

Thanks guys.....so glad you like the post.

As you may have guessed the sequence is part of the script of a RR&Co routine I am developing. Its taking far too long to develop.All that coupling and uncoupling takes a lot of testing in order to get a reasonable (90%) level of certainty.

Almost there with this segment and then I will have a go with a video

Best wishes

John

Edited by john dew

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes gentlemen.

Here is the Parcels train having completed its van exchange steaming over Granby viaduct en route to Wolverhampton

IMGP1478_edited-1.JPG.cf9ac28228ac1b1c6a54f0f873cb1e42.JPG

I have a lengthy list of things which I would remedy if I ever started Granby IV (which I won't)  One of them is undoubtedly to plan for more photographic sight lines.

My apologies for yet more photos of trains on the viaduct......as Granby gets more built up this is about the only place where I can get something approaching a reasonable shot of a train.

IMGP1479_edited-1.JPG.1dce0140418dc7205e1bb8230c351a93.JPG

One of my three elderly Siphons.........they are such iconic GWR vans, its a mystery to me why they havent been updated and re-released. Having said that, there has been a marked absence of any GWR NPCS in the past five years........a period in which we have seen CCTs for the other Big Three and PBVs for the  LMS and LNER....not sure about the SR. 

I wonder if Hornby burnt their fingers with the Hawksworths that appeared in GWR livery for a only very short time.
In fact, I understand that the Brake Van never appeared in GWR livery?

IMGP1480.JPG.eb4720a7527f56f93003fe5cc5e1efed.JPG

Whatever....needs must.....I added "Great [crest] Western"  and some weathering and it doesnt look too out of place in a 1948 parcels train.

IMGP1482_edited-1.JPG.dd8ce4b41910282945c8c4dbc7ff6716.JPG

Sorry about the white wall tyres on the SR van.......I suspect I only weathered one side http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_redface.gif. They are beautiful highly detailed models and like the prototype very useful.

The LMS Brake is one of four I bought from Hattons in the mid nineties at a knock down price because the window glazing had come loose.....great bargain

Talking of bargains:

IMGP1500_edited-1.JPG.bbc2cd715562bd6a0c1eeec77e709c5c.JPG

IMGP1485_edited-1.JPG.3a2c9370ab9976d2953135259901becb.JPG

This is one of the Hornby Halls you could pick up as recently as last year for 50 GBP!

Adderley Hall, out of the box.......Great Western on the tender in Hornbys unique green and lined (after a fashion)

I learned on ANTB that lined Halls were as rare as hens teeth in 1947. I bit the bullet and repainted loco and tender with Precision paint. Nowhere near as good as Robin's but still acceptable. Somehow an unlined Hall in "proper" GWR green looks so much more powerful and less toylike.

Renamed and renumbered to 4905 Barton Hall......shedded in the North West in 1948 and actually photograped with the Collett 3500 gallon tender. Thats about as close as you will get to authenticity on Granby! http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

Applying the 3' rule, which I frequently do, 4905 is the perfect example of a layout loco......looks the part from 3', super reliable and happily hauls six car trains over my dodgy track.

IMGP1504_edited-1.JPG.57f344cabc5ffc73d36eb200ba3d64ff.JPG

I guess the new decals look a bit shiny http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_cry.gif

Regards from Vancouver ....where in the month of January we have enjoyed one day without rain........well it is called the Rain Forest

IMGP1499_edited-1.JPG

IMGP1477_edited-1.JPG

Edited by john dew
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you done your home work on that tender I did wonder about it, Sixsmiths book of Hall's Vol 1 states it was tender number 2233. 

Hi Bob

Not sure about homework.......It came from a guy called Andy, cant remember his nom de plume...GWRxxx or similar,who suddenly became a  "deleted member" just before Christmas. He was quite active on ANTB and appeared to be very knowledgeable about GWR locos. It was he who prodded me into renaming and weathering my Halls. He gave me a lot of useful advice and sent me a load of photo links......which of course I cant find now!

Best wishes

John

• Like 1