Hornby 08 makeover...

Managed to get some modelling done yesterday, with the Hornby 08 I picked up at Warley going through the 'paintshop'.... purchased as D3509, I wanted to change it to D3518 which was a Reading (81D) loco from December 1962 to April 1970, when it went to Old Oak (81A) for a month, fitting in nicely with my favourite Western Region modelling period.

At first it was going to be a straightforward renumbering job, but as I wanted to replicate the weather beaten look of a similar green WR 08 on the cover of Steve Jordan's book 'The Liveries of the BR Standard Diesel Electric Shunters in Colour #2', I decided on a repaint for the body, rather than attempt to just weather the shiny 'out of the box' finish. Hornby's numbers and logos were removed with a fibre glass pen and a coat of Precision Paints BR Loco Green (Dull) brushed on. Once this was dry, I dry brushed a slightly lighter shade of green (Humbrol # ) on the engine compartment doors and in the lower wooden panel part of the cab doors to give these areas a slightly faded look. New numbers were applied using Replica's rub on 'serif' sheet and logos added from an old Pressfix sheet which is still usable after many years of hiding in the spares box. The cab roof was given a good dose of Humbrol dirty black, partially wiped off with some tissue straight away, then a thin wash of the same colour was dribbled into and around the panel lines. Letting some of this settle into the edges of the glazing takes away some of the prismatic effect of the clear plastic.

Still a few little bits to finish off, not least the missing WR yellow dot route availability transfer under the newly applied numbers, toning down the logos and a general wafting of brake dust / track colour grime on the chassis area to highlight Hornby's excellent detail down below. Must put the air tanks back under the front buffer beam and fit the vacuum pipes as well.....

Nidge ;)

post-7638-0-10501800-1293457066_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-80164500-1293457152_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-88874300-1293457649_thumb.jpg

Thanks David. I made a point of picking the right one for renumbering, thankfully it's not difficult if you know which one you're after, there are plenty of photos around these days. A recent trawl of slides and photos on ebay scooped up several WR London Division 08s in pre-Tops guise :)

Nidge

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David. I made a point of picking the right one for renumbering, thankfully it's not difficult if you know which one you're after, there are plenty of photos around these days. A recent trawl of slides and photos on ebay scooped up several WR London Division 08s in pre-Tops guise :)

Nidge

You can't beat a photograph to confirm your choice. D3796 / 08629 is my favorite 08 as I used to ride in the cab mid-sixties.

Archived