corris railway trackbed

mike morley

I Googled "Aberllefenni", in search of info to help me bodge together a generic quarry office based on prototypes at Aberllefenni and Ratgoed, and was astonished to find this gem near the top of the opening page.

www.welshicons.org.uk/html/aberllefenni.php

If you take a run down the A487 from Corris to Pont Dyfi you cannot help but be aware of the remnants of the former tramway at the roadside, but even so it is a surprise to see just how clear on the ground it remains. Look out a while past the seven minute mark, at Pont Ifans, for what I think is a Vauxhall Astra with a quite remarkable reverse gear!!!

It takes a while to realise that what at first appears to be interference on sound is actually the roar of white water in the extremely proximate Afon Dulas.

• RMweb Premium

I Googled "Aberllefenni", in search of info to help me bodge together a generic quarry office based on prototypes at Aberllefenni and Ratgoed, and was astonished to find this gem near the top of the opening page.

http://www.welshicon...berllefenni.php

If you take a run down the A487 from Corris to Pont Dyfi you cannot help but be aware of the remnants of the former tramway at the roadside, but even so it is a surprise to see just how clear on the ground it remains. Look out a while past the seven minute mark, at Pont Ifans, for what I think is a Vauxhall Astra with a quite remarkable reverse gear!!!

It takes a while to realise that what at first appears to be interference on sound is actually the roar of white water in the extremely proximate Afon Dulas.

You should put http:// in front of it. I have done so for you.

Hi Mike,-I caught that vid a little while back when researching the most steam train-friendly route for our round Wales honeymoon tour-most evocative:-wind down the windows as you are driving through and the keen ear can detect the ghost echoes of Falcon & Kerr-Stuart exhaust beats ...looking forward to going back and finishing the job-going from Corris across country to Aberllefeni (?) and seeing whats left

ATB

Nick

www.welshicons.org.uk/html/aberllefenni.php

Pont Ifans (Pont Evans before it was welshified - "pont" being bridge) is the bridge which links the A487 with the old road from Corris past the caravan park and Caenws down along the East bank of the river Dulas (pronounced Dee las). Actually at Pont Ifans (pronounced Eee vans) the river is quite rocky and if there is plenty of water flowing it can be quite "white" !!

Thanks for posting

Pont Ifans (Pont Evans before it was welshified - "pont" being bridge) is the bridge which links the A487 with the old road from Corris past the caravan park and Caenws down along the East bank of the river Dulas (pronounced Dee las). Actually at Pont Ifans (pronounced Eee vans) the river is quite rocky and if there is plenty of water flowing it can be quite "white" !!

Thanks for posting

Or Pont Ifans as it was before it was Anglicised!

The Dulas can be a very scary river; an unfortunate chap got drowned in it last year.

From Corris on to Aberllefenni, the course of the railway is quite clear as it runs parallel to the road some 50ft lower down the valley, resplendant in slate slab fencing either side. Once reaching the village it switches to the left and higher than the public road, again clearly visible. If you were to carry on towards Aberangell, the course of the roadside Ratgoed Tramway is evident too.

Martin-thanks for the pointers there-good stuff !! -Oh happy day when you could buy 2 full size steam engines for 35 quid-and have a handful of wagons thrown in for good measure.

As a lifelong conspiracy theorist,I love the idea that the stationmaster at Mach. arranged to have the engines covered with tarps and kept safeley out of sight until the Tallylyn had the cash to get them paid for and moved :D -Where would the preservation movement be without that sort of lateral thinking

ATB

Nick

Archived