Applying HMRS transfers to OO wagons

petnik

I know there's been a really first-rate recent thread on transfers, but instead of adding to it, I thought I'd start this new one asking for advice specifically about my wagon side lettering and numbering problem. For the first time I'm trying to apply HMRS early BR transfers to OO wagons and it's driving me up the wall. It's not just that the individual characters are so much tinier than, say GWR ones, but that, in addition they're crowded so closely on the sheet, the image is back to front and the transfers are white on a white background. I'd be most grateful for any advice before I go mad and blind.

I earned my living from painting & lining and can tell you lettering wagons drove me just as mad as anyone else! These days on my own wagons, I use Modelmaster and don't really give a dam if the running numbers are incorrect so long as the black patch on the grey wagons looks okay. I gave up using Methifx and Pressfix. The former don't like eggsgell paint and the latter simply go sticky and curl up.

I used to use waterslide transfers from the USA when I was modelling the North American scene and they were far better decals for lying down over planking than anything available over here. In the transfer field, I fear we are miles behind.

Modelmaster work fine for me when used on black patches. However I don't get on with them on plain backgrounds as I find it very hard to disguise the edge of the backing. If CCT do what you require then I would suggest you try these rather than the individual numbers on the HMRS sheet.

Bernard

I also use Modelmaster ones on black patches where possible, but for bauxite wagons I do normally use the HMRS pressfix transfers. They can be difficult to see in artificial light as the surface of the transfer sheet is shiny - I find them much easier to work with in natural light. Also, if you get bored with cutting up individual numbers I find looking for prototypes with consecutive numbers (eg. Bxxx123) is very good for saving time. Hope this helps,

Mike

Archived