Gresley D115 dynamo

Polar Star

This question is about a 7mm kit for a D115 all third, a Gresley standard 61' 6" carriage. Below are photographs of the dynamo and support brackets as supplied with the kit. Quite nice castings... just that comparison with photos of full-size Gresleys suggest that the box for the electrical connections is not in the correct place - the SRPS web site has several articles on carriage electrical systems and the pages for Stone's Lilliput fittings show connections from the bogie side of the dynamo whereas the model part has the connections box away from the bogie.

The first photograph shows the dynamo side which faces towards the bogie.

Attachment:file.php?id=6145&t=1

dynamo-and-bracket---2.jpg [ 148.84 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

The second photograph shows the dynamo side which faces towards the centre of the coach.

Attachment:file.php?id=6146&t=1

dynamo-and-bracket---3.jpg [ 118.62 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

The final photograph shows the dynamo from the longitudinal centre line and the side which is facing towards the battery boxes. The holes in the brass bracket are for the stay rod to which is attached the dynamo stay... just no fitted in these photos.

Attachment:file.php?id=6147&t=1

dynamo-and-bracket---1.jpg [ 50.89 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

So, is this dynamo correct for a Gresley D115... or do I consider moving the connection box?

A further question if I may, how many cables are connected to the dynamo and where are those cables terminated on the underframe?

thank you and regards, Peter

icon_post_report.gif icon_post_delete.gif

That looks to me more like the BR type dynamo rather than the Stones type used on some vehicles by the LNER, if memory serves there is a thread along similar lines to this on an older version of RMweb. For record the Stones type dynamos are more angular and slightly smaller - the only TK I can think of at the moment doesn't have a dynamo on it which is not a great help! Hopefully someone who actually knows about LNER coaching stock can give a more helpful answer.

This is not a good quality drawing, but it does confirm the position of the junction box:

<<attachment=74342:IMG_2434.JPG>>

This matches the diagrams on the SRPS website. Unfortunately I do not have photos showing the wiring runs.

<<attachment=74343:IMG_2433.JPG>>

Thank you Mike for providing confirmation that the supplied dynamo has the junction box in an location which is not correct for LNER coaches such as the D115. When convenient, if you have hi-res scans of the images could you please send the same to my Dad's e-mail address?

Are you able to confirm that on a D114 the dynamo is at the non-brake (toilet) end of the coach?

Thank you, Peter Beare

It is most likely under the non brake end to avoid clashing with the brake gear.

Thank you, that goes with the photos in Harris's books - if the dynamo is visible then the placing is at the end away from the brake compartment... as in the clear photo of D175 24068 when in BR service.

regards, Peter

Archived