PD Marsh Grange on Ixion Manor Chassis?

Not sure whether to ask this here, or in small suppliers.

I noticed that the PD Marsh made a Manor body kit to fit the Graham Farish Hall chassis, and thought 'Yes, but Ixion do a Manor in RTR' Then I noticed that they did a Grange body kit as well (also to fit the Graham Farish Hall chassis) and I started to wonder, 'Will the Grange body fit the Ixion Manor chassis?'

So I sent them an eMail. The reply was 'I don't know if it will, I haven't had a good look at the Ixion Manor.' That's when I decided to ask here, in case anybody here knew if it would. Or, if it needed modifying, how hard that was likely to be.

Thanks folks.

• RMweb Premium

You would want to use the tender that comes with the Manor, given that it is tender drive and I can't see the PD Marsh tender fitting over the mech. Being tender drive will mean that the loco body should have plenty of space in it. What you might find is that the PD Marsh loco kit may have been modified in wheel spacing to fit the Hall chassis, given how generic that is. The cylinders on the Manor look to be moulded onto the body so would need removing if you wanted to reuse them. I will be taking my Manor to bits in a week or so's time to remove the wheel sets so could get some measurements / photos then if that would help.

You would want to use the tender that comes with the Manor, given that it is tender drive and I can't see the PD Marsh tender fitting over the mech. Being tender drive will mean that the loco body should have plenty of space in it. What you might find is that the PD Marsh loco kit may have been modified in wheel spacing to fit the Hall chassis, given how generic that is. The cylinders on the Manor look to be moulded onto the body so would need removing if you wanted to reuse them. I will be taking my Manor to bits in a week or so's time to remove the wheel sets so could get some measurements / photos then if that would help.

Thanks, that would be most helpful. I was planning to keep the tender as is. (I haven't bought a second Manor yet. I've got quite a lot to do at the moment. Or will have when the post arrives :)) I'd probably need to reuse the cylinders so it's nice to know about them being attached to the body.

• RMweb Premium

I'd probably need to reuse the cylinders so it's nice to know about them being attached to the body.

That's just from having had a quick look a moment ago. When I take the thing to bits I'll confirm whether this is true or not. (Needs chipping and testing before I will strip it and send the wheels of for re-profiling)

That's just from having had a quick look a moment ago. When I take the thing to bits I'll confirm whether this is true or not. (Needs chipping and testing before I will strip it and send the wheels of for re-profiling)

One thing that's handy. Unless Wikipedia is wrong - which it may well be (Unfortunately, I don't have the right RCTS GWR loco book. I thought I did) the wheelbase of the Manor and the Hall are the same, even if the boiler on the manor is 2' shorter.

• RMweb Premium

They many well have the same wheel base in real life , but that does not mean the Farish Hall's wheel base is correct, given how poor the rest of the model is.

I hope I'm not breaking anyone's copyright, but here's the picture of the Grange body kit (unpainted) from the PD Marsh website. (for reference). Hopefully, this will help.

I can't tell if the splashers are seperate from (and then glued or soldered onto (in which case, they can be easily put in the right place)) or part of the footplate/running board (and would therefore need to be cut away carefully and reattached if wrong).

In all honesty, I'm tempted to bite the bullet and buy one anyway. (Just not yet) If nothing else, it will be good practice at getting the BR passenger livery right. :)

post-3807-0-78054500-1293820489_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Strictly speaking the Manor has a tender mounted motor with the loco wheels driven via a cardan shaft and universal joints; essentially identical to Dapol tender locos. I believe the most recent Graham Farish tender locos have a true tender drive with the locomotive itself only providing additional electrical pickup. Merchanically speaking, that is.

Kris would be right about the splasher locations having been altered, on the kit they should be part of the footplate casting. I believe Iain Rice, when faced with a similar situation on a Wills Hall (B12 chassis), whipped the kit splashers off with a Stanley knife and reused them. For the Marsh kit I would use the method described in the 'Little Midland' thread with offcuts of brass tube.

I've not pulled my Manor apart so I'll let Kris make the "first incision". Be warned though, some older whitemetal kits can be a little crude and need considerable titivating to look good, expecially if your using the Ixion tender intact: the photo of the assembled kit does appear to show a large boiler cutout for the mechanism.

Good luck, I look forward to reading more.

Regards

Michael

Well, I've ordered the body kit. And, all being well, I should be getting a Manor to put it on soon.

(sigh) Faye-chan is going to be a very busy little thing over the next few months. And I've got my writing to get on with as well. And I've got to finish painting the hall/stairs/landing.

Such is life.

• RMweb Premium

Good to see that you have taken the plunge. I shall be interested to here your thoughts on the body, as I have considered scratch building a chassis for one but was could not get enough information on the body to decide if it was worth the effort.

As far a stripping the Manor goes. I got home today, having spent all of the Christmas period away visiting various relatives to find that the chip I ordered Wednesday evening has arrived, so hopefully there will be a window to get this in tomorrow so that testing can then commence and stripping for the loco can occur after this.

• RMweb Premium

I have stripped part of the Manor and the boiler and cab are separate assemblies to the footplate/ running board. If I were doing this I would be loosing this part from the PD Marsh loco and just using the boiler and cab. I have been taking photos as I have been going along and will post these later. All I need to do now is work out how on earth you remove the driving wheels from the Manor.

Are there any particular measurements that you would like?

I have stripped part of the Manor and the boiler and cab are separate assemblies to the footplate/ running board. If I were doing this I would be loosing this part from the PD Marsh loco and just using the boiler and cab. I have been taking photos as I have been going along and will post these later. All I need to do now is work out how on earth you remove the driving wheels from the Manor.

Are there any particular measurements that you would like?

Thanks, that's very helpful to know. I'm still waiting for the kit to arrive, understandable as this is the first day that the post office has been open. Am I right in thinking that the splashers are attached to the footplate on the Manor as well?

As to what measurements... I'm less worried if I'm keeping the existing footplate than if I wasn't, as that was the part I was least sure about fitting. I'll have to have a think and get back to you. Ah. When you say the cab and boiler are separate from the footplate, does that include the firebox or not? (Forgive me, I'm easily confused.)

Thanks again.

• RMweb Premium

Right photo time.

post-163-0-44378600-1294163723_thumb.jpg

1st photo shows the boiler / cab removed. To remove this unscrew the bogie then remove the screw that hides behind this. The blast pipes are a separate part that just sits in place around the screw hole.

post-163-0-14323000-1294163734_thumb.jpg

2nd Photo is a little on the dark side but just shows the inside of the boiler / firebox. The space here is 15.54mm long x 9.22mm wide and approximately 9mm deep. This holds the gearbox of the loco. There is also a gap that needs to be left in the back head of the boiler to allow for the shaft connecting the motor in the tender to the gearbox.

post-163-0-54206500-1294163746_thumb.jpg

3rd photo the removed wheel set and gearbox. A right pig to remove. Remove the brake rodding first, then you need to pull out the 2 pins that hold the spring connectors between the tender and loco. Then you need to unclip the chassis, do the front clip first then remove the the rear before sliding the whole assembly forwards. To remove the wheels you need to remove the plate that contains the fake springs. This is clipped onto the rest of the chassis by 3 lugs on each side that are hidden behind the wheels, there is no easy way to release these.

Thanks, those pictures are very helpful. (The measurements will prove useful too.)

The last one has given me a rather scary idea. What if you could turn the gearbox round to point the other way? Not necessarily on the Manor, but just... in general. Because you can't use the Farish tender driven locos as the basis for a tank engine. But, if you could turn the gearbox round... Maybe it would be possible to make that big GWR 2-10-2T from a 9F chassis? Now, I'll grant the back wheels would be 2mm too close to the ones in front, but...

• RMweb Premium

You may well be able to unclip the top of the gear box then just rotate the worm and connection point. I'm not going to try this as I have no need to do it.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that PD Marsh body, I think I'd be tempted to use as much of the Ixion model as possible: cab and maybe firebox (if it's big enough - it appears to have a better profile) and even some of the boiler fittings.

The reverse project in 00 (Hornby Grange under Bachmann Manor) is described here and here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just to update things here. I've now got all the bits - body and chassis. At first glance, the Grange boiler looks about a mm or two two long. Either that, or I need to move the chimney back. Or both. As far as I can tell, the back of the smokebox should be in line with the back of the cylinders, and I think I'll leave those where they are.

Oh yes, and you can (I've learnt, in the course of something else) turn around the gearbox on a Dapol chassis... So that 2-10-2 is looking like a possible option after all. :unsure: :wacko:

Not sure whether to post here or not... But I've finally bitten the bullet, and started sawin' (as the saying goes). I've managed to separate the boiler. I had to cut all round, and then pull, twist, etc to get the metal block out of the firebox. I don't know what the metal is, but I couldn't cut it with my razor saw.

post-3807-0-77317200-1295361029_thumb.jpg

I've just blu-tacked the boiler in place to take this photo. As you can see... well, it's a shade too long. About 1.5mm too long. I'm going to cut it just after the first boiler band, as that should get the front of the boiler/back of the smokebox in line with the back of the cylinders. I'm going to need some sort of extra weight in the boiler, as, compared to the Ixion one, it's a bit of a lightweight. Also I need to finish off the bottom of the boiler as well...

Well, I've jumped now... Let's hope the impact at the bottom isn't too hard. :)

Archived