ECOS and LDT Signal Decoders

Wogga

I am trying to get my ECoS 2 to operate with LDT light signal decoder for NS signals.

All appears to be correct but i can't get LDT to accept its decoder address. I have set up one 3 way Aspect NS signal and one two way aspect. As with many decoders i am assuming (the instructions are poor)get the decoder in programming mode then switch the accessory on the ECoS the decoder the auto programs itself based on the decoder address you sent it.

The decoder gets into programming mode but it appears not receive the address from the ECoS????

Anybody any experience i have tried the work arounds but to avail.

Regards

Pete

How are you programming it. I have used lots of the LDT NS decoders but with a Lenz set up with no problems as all. But about to sell all my Lenz stuff as I've bought the colour ECoS.

If you can describe what you are doing, perhaps I can spot what is going wrong.

Pete

Are you using a Switch Pilot for the points and a Switch Pilot Extension for the Signals as you should not use a Switch Pilot on it's own to operate points and signals.

Pete

Pete i am not using switchpilots i using LDT components for track occupancy etc.

Hi Andy, basically i am following the LDT destructions to the letter see below, which i guess is like the LS150 set the first address and the remainder follow on concurrently (although you have to do both sides independantly?

http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/english/downl_e.htm#LS-DEC-NS

I have connected the LS DEC directlly to the ECoS track bus and linked over to the power input. Everything performs as per the destructions up to point when i operate the accessory to send the address, on a successful receipt the signal LEDS should flash faster unfortunaetly they don't. If i try to operate the signal nowt happens. I need an address of #30 so i have set a point output addressed that as 30 and switch that at the point the LS DEC is ready to receive the address.

I have even tried Traincontroller to program but no joy there either, i have tried two units both have the same problem. Everything is as per the instructions the LEDS just don't flash faster to say programming was successful? the work around is to reverse polaritly of the track feed but that has no effect.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Your description sounds about right with what to do. I have not tried programming anything yet with my ECoS as I had not thought there would be any problems. My point decoders should be ok, ESU Switch Pilot but will give it a go with my LDT NS units and get back to you.

Problem is, my playroom looks like a bomb has hit it as I have just started to break up the layout to change over from OO to O so it may be a day or two to find the bits to play with.

Just thought, are you using 30 as the first address on the unit. It may be if you use multiples of eight it may help. Each unit uses eight adresses as such, two address per signal to cope with three aspect.

That way you need 1 to 8 for the first unit and second 9 to 16 and so on. In effect the last address per unit is a multiple of eight.

Try using another number as the first address and see what happens. Try 1, got to work with that.

Hi Andy i have been on it for the last couple of hours and have it working to a fashion.

First things first there are 3 jumper links on the board LK1 is if you are using positive or neg as the common for the leds no probs there, :LK3 is the jumper for programming thats straight forward however LK2 is set for the type of system you are connecting to, for the ECoS this link must be removed despite what the instructions say!

That was hurdle no 1 i now i can program and use it. However i still cannot get it to accept #30 but it works a treat on default addrreses of 1-4 and 5-8. Andy it works great from the ECoS touch panel and manually from Traincontrollerl i will try and find what addresses it will accept and will try your suggestion of multiples of eight.

Currently its working parallel with my point motors which isn't that bad i suppose they should do in the prototypical world but i don't have enough knowledge to go interlocking yet!

Regards

Pete

It does mention the ECoS twice, once for DCC, jumper off and Marklin - Motorola jumper on.

So it is correct in that assuming you are using DCC, the jumper is off.

But you cannot program 30 as it is the second half of a pair of addresses, 29, 30. Look at the sequence, write it out from 1 to 8, 9 to 16 and so on. You will see what I mean. Stick with the sequence and you will be ok.

It does mention the ECoS twice, once for DCC, jumper off and Marklin - Motorola jumper on.

But you cannot program 30 as it is the second half of a pair of addresses, 29, 30. Look at the sequence, write it out from 1 to 8, 9 to 16 and so on. You will see what I mean. Stick with the sequence and you will be ok.

Yep jumper off for DCC! i will report back on addresses i shall try 32 as the first one.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

No, 32 is the last of a pair 31 32.

You need the first number of a pair starting in the right sequence.

1 2, 3 4, 5 6, 7 8. then 9 10, 11 12, 13 14, 15 16 then 17 18, 19 20, 21 22, 23 24 then 25 26, 27 28, 29 30, 31 32 then 33 34, 35 36, 37 38, 39 40. etc etc.

One side then is say 9 which set automatically 10 11 12. Then on the other side its 13 which sets 14 15 16 automatically.

I found that by writing out the sequence its easier to follow. I had to go beyond 100 as I have a lot of LDT NS on the layout.

Hi Andy, yes i woke up in a cold sweat when i said 32 it should be 33 as you stated. I redone the settings this morning and it works a treat, you are correct concurrent blocks of eight.

Still miffed about jumper 2 though and LDT's lack of clarity in their destructions.

All is correct now works from TC a treat just got to setup the triggers etc. but that is for another day.

Thanks and regards

Pete

Update, when i came to prog the second board exactly the same problems, had to put in 1-8 to boot the thing up first before i could put any other addresses in. Perhaps they left the factory without default settings.

Happy New Year Andy.

• 8 years later...
On 30/12/2010 at 21:17, two tone green said:

Hi TTG

I have the same issue that prompted this thread, but have tried the solutions without success:

1. ESU ECoS 50200

2. LDT signal decoder for British signals

3. I only have the J3 jumper on for programming

4. One signal wired up to the right hand block

5. Press the programme button twice, and the three aspect signal alternates red and green slowly

6. Use a dummy point to set Normal or Reverse to program the signal

7. No change to the signal flashing red and green at the same speed as before - no speeding up as suggested in the manual

8. Press the program button once more and the signal returns to a steady red aspect

9. The signal does not respond to programming either address 1 or address 305 (my preferred address, and I think correct as the start of a block of 8)

If you have any ideas or suggestions to put me right, I'd be grateful

Thanks

David

Edited by dmumford

Gosh, all this was years ago and I have not used LDT stuff since 2010 when I broke my OO layout up to go O gauge. I am 100% ESU now. 

Will really have to motivate the grey matter to work out what it may be. I never did use the BR signal decoder as I used the NS which coped well with my three aspect signals

I am away from home until tomorrow and will get onto the LDT website to download the manual and have a read. 

For MOST 'learning' systems, you have to set the decoder to 'learn' mode and then, on your controller, select the Accessory address; once this is done, you have to select on the controller direction 1 then direction 2, i.e. actually send a command to the decoder. Then the decoder will either take itself out of 'learn' mode or you flip the 'set / run' switch back to 'run'.

Mentioned by LDT in their instructiins for some products is the possible need to swap the incoming dcc wires over if there is no response .... but this may have applied  only to programming  on a programming track  But  I have experienced this need on some other accessory decoders (when learning) so it may be worth a try ... costing nothing but a few moments to swap input connection phase over.    .... shades of Hornby's TTS physical direction problem of the past 8-)

Is this a kit of the LDT ls dec br or a finished module?  the reason i ask i recently made up 9 of these boards i had one that would not program  with close inspection there was a dry joint on one of the solder connections .

Swapping the DCC connections also can affect it .  Plus its ultra important to ensure both left and right and side are both within the block of 4 addresses

2 hours ago, henryparrot said:

Is this a kit of the LDT ls dec br or a finished module?  the reason i ask i recently made up 9 of these boards i had one that would not program  with close inspection there was a dry joint on one of the solder connections .

Swapping the DCC connections also can affect it .  Plus its ultra important to ensure both left and right and side are both within the block of 4 addresses

Hi Henry

It is a finished module, but without the casing.  I am going to try over the weekend with a signal in both sides, as I have only been trying to program the right hand side up to now.

23 hours ago, two tone green said:

Gosh, all this was years ago and I have not used LDT stuff since 2010 when I broke my OO layout up to go O gauge. I am 100% ESU now. 

Will really have to motivate the grey matter to work out what it may be. I never did use the BR signal decoder as I used the NS which coped well with my three aspect signals

I am away from home until tomorrow and will get onto the LDT website to download the manual and have a read. 

Thanks, TTG.  I wonder what you are using to control your signals - can you do so with ESU signal decoders?  

I have had a quick look at the ESU website, their signal decoder is only set up for European signalling, or have you been able to make it work with a British 4 aspect signal with route feather?

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/signalpilot/