Class 50 007 "Sir Edward Elgar"

I've found information that this loco was renamed/repained in 1984 into the green livery, but I can't find anywhere if it ever lost this livery before withdrawal in 1993 before entering preservation.

Does anyone have any suitable information? I'm wondering whether I can justify the purchase of another 50 as it's a different colour :)

You should wait for a reply from a Western Region expert really (which I most definitely am not), but in the absence of any replies so far, I'l stick my neck on the line and say I don't think it received another livery before withdrawal from BR service. Of course I may be mistaken.....

The only thing I would add is that in BR days she had the black name and number plates. It wasn't until preservation that the red ones appeared. For some reason it is in preserved condition with red name and number plates that Hornby have decided to model her.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

The only thing I would add is that in BR days she had the black name and number plates. It wasn't until preservation that the red ones appeared. For some reason it is in preserved condition with red name and number plates that Hornby have decided to model her.

Mark

Er. :blink: :blink: :blink: :huh::blink: just and been to check the model that I purchased from Alley Pally this year and it has black name plates and is lightly weathed.

Terry

When originally painted in 1984 50007 had green cab roofs and only the hatch sections on the roof were black (the green slightly wrapping around the roof from the sides).

This was changed to an all black roof above cant-rail level with the orange stripe when she was repainted to work the Royal Train in about April/May 1987. She was always used just like any other class 50 and I have a photo of her at Newton Abbot in May 1987 in quite shiny green but with china clay splatters across the bodyside.

Reports have said that she was painted a slightly lighter green when reinstated in March 1992 for railtour duties, I'd have to compare my slides to confirm that.

Quite right everyone

After Sir Eddie was painted green for the GW 150 celebrations, it has never been in another color.

The nameplates were painted red for Old Oak common open day some time ago, and were only red for a short time. We think Hornby used a photo taken at this event to replicate the livery. Just for info, the snow ploughs were added, in i think 1997 and the other visible mod done in preservationis the cover over the battery switch.

Just one other thing,be carfull which end the LA's are.

Gary

Engineer

Class forty appeal

Owners of, D212 Aureol,50007 Sir Edward Elgar, 37314 Dalzell

I've found information that this loco was renamed/repained in 1984 into the green livery, but I can't find anywhere if it ever lost this livery before withdrawal in 1993 before entering preservation.

Does anyone have any suitable information? I'm wondering whether I can justify the purchase of another 50 as it's a different colour :)

Hi,

Yes it was painted a slightly lighter green for railtour duties but worst of all they nicked the power unit and bogies off 50046 which was a very popular loco at that time

Cheers

CC

Interesting. "Ajax" was another pet loco of mine, as it was the last one I needed to 'cop' for the whole class. I was two fields away from the line at the time and it was only because of the 'large logo' livery I managed to get the number!

Interesting. "Ajax" was another pet loco of mine, as it was the last one I needed to 'cop' for the whole class. I was two fields away from the line at the time and it was only because of the 'large logo' livery I managed to get the number!

I always liked that livery on the fifties and Ajax being the last of the 'logs'and with a low hours power unit saw it often on the Wat -Exe route in early nineties although I also liked both 029 and 030 which both almost made it till the end

CC

I think there is more of Ajax left then 007.

Are the green paint.

I belive the 1984 color was GW green, but i have herd that the color at the last laira repaint was Ford transit van green, the other "green" that 7 may have been painted in, is Layland British racing green.

The last repaint in 2007 used GW green paint from Williamsons.

When originally painted in 1984 50007 had green cab roofs and only the hatch sections on the roof were black (the green slightly wrapping around the roof from the sides).

This was changed to an all black roof above cant-rail level with the orange stripe when she was repainted to work the Royal Train in about April/May 1987. She was always used just like any other class 50 and I have a photo of her at Newton Abbot in May 1987 in quite shiny green but with china clay splatters across the bodyside.

Reports have said that she was painted a slightly lighter green when reinstated in March 1992 for railtour duties, I'd have to compare my slides to confirm that.

Are you sure that the livery was changed to an all black roof? I've looked at photos from 1987, and the cab roofs are green, with the roof panels in black, the same as it was from the first repaint.

A slightly lighter shade of green was used for the 1992 repaint, but it wasn't vastly different.

Are you sure that the livery was changed to an all black roof? I've looked at photos from 1987, and the cab roofs are green, with the roof panels in black, the same as it was from the first repaint.

A slightly lighter shade of green was used for the 1992 repaint, but it wasn't vastly different.

I was going by the comment in the Class 50 Factfile by Kevin Saunders and David N Clough but having looked again I think you may be correct.

My photo of 50007 at Newton Abbot on 16 May 1987 has it after the 1987 repaint with an orange stripe but the green does wrap over the roof edges and on the headcode boxes as you state. The next photo is from 50s West by Roger Siviter on page 42. This shows a very dirty roof but still appears to indicate traces of green on the headcode boxes. My last photo of 50007 before she was first withdrawn was at Waterloo on 3 May 1991. The roof is so dirty you can't tell what colour it is. Personally I don't think 50007 had a repaint between April/May 1987 and withdrawal on 10 July 1991.

I echo the thoughts regarding 50046. Ajax was always a good machine for me and I have a excellent photo of her leaving Liskeard on 16 May 1987 still immaculate after her repaint. I was fed up with 50007 by 1991 and was glad to see her withdrawn so the likes of 50029, 50030, 50033 and 50046 could survive longer (D400 was always going to last until the end it seemed to me). I was gutted when I heard 50007 was reinstated and positively annoyed when I heard that 50046 had been sacrificed even though there was nothing wrong with her.

Archived