NEW Exhibition: Manchester 14th/15th May 2011

Savoyard

I didn't bother putting the lighting on 'Grove street' precisely because the large skylights at the venue meant that lighting was unnecessary. That doesn't mean my layout has no lighting; simply that I did not feel it worthwhile to add lighting that wasn't going to get used.

My own experiences of being at the exhibition all weekend was that those people who came past seemed quite pleased with what was on offer. You can't please all the people all the time, but then that's just life. Those people who took time to say what they thought on the Saturday and Sunday were all positive, bar one individual who took the hump and went somewhat stroppy after being politely asked not to prod the scrapyard or wagon loads with his fingers. Those people who I chatted with seemed quite happy with what was on offer, and the crowds around other layouts suggested to me that they were entertaining. The trade may have had some duplication, but actually I prefer that to giving each trader a monopoly on their own area. I certainly found a large variety of stuff on sale for a variety of tastes, and spent more at this show as a result than I have at any previous show that I've exhibited at.

Sam and I really enjoyed ourselves. We must have done all right because 'Grove street' got invited to two further exhibitions later this year.

Evening!

I enjoyed my fairly brief visit to this show, I went with no expectations other than it being a 'local' show and it did not dissapoint so my thanks to the organisers and exhibitors. I thought it is an interesting venue, too and I'm sure I'll enjoy a visit next year!

Meanwhile, a couple of pictures of my most liked layout here, Lydgate (UK 1970's 0 gauge);

post-6892-0-45932400-1305511451_thumb.jpg

Mmm! D1054 - looking and sounding gorgeous!

post-6892-0-00169700-1305511456_thumb.jpg

Western Governor and 25 126 passing in Lydgate station.

post-6892-0-03289700-1305511460_thumb.jpg

40 (128?) passing on a parcels train.

Cheers,

John E.

I went to the show on Saturday and throroughly enjoyed the day. The selection and varying standards of the layouts was such that it offered encouragement to those of us who are not so called experts when it comes to modelling. This is what local shows are all about, if there were nothing but perfection to be seen at exhibitions I doubt that many newcomers could be found when the existing roster of "exhibition quality" layouts runs out.

Two earlier posts struck me as downright snobbery on behalf of their authors and do nothing to encourage those who gave their time and effort in the running of the event. As far as I am concerened I would much rather spend my money at smaller, more freindly, shows like this one than at the huge commercially dominated shows such as those the authors of the earlier posts are involved with.

The venue's natural lighting was ideal for viewing the layouts, the venue itself was not one I'd previously visited so also I found its regular exhibits of interest. The traders were what is to be expected at a local show (though there did seem to be some odd duplications). The catering was actually better than expected, sandwiches, pie and peas, ample for lunchtime. The layouts are what I visit shows for though and I thought the selection at the weekend was very good. They varied from basic entry level layouts to the exhibition circuit (and everybody has to start somewhere) through to a couple of excellent scenic models.

Congratulations to Peter, Dave and the rest of the LYDCC members involved in running the show.

I was there as part on the On30 module & forks Trestle has lighting but as others have said i did not use it as the room was well lit

As a 1st show there there were problems but all shows will have at least one over a weekend no mater how smallthat problem is

I had a good weekend see you next year

Can i just add my thansk to the guys for a great show.

We attended with Welham Green and i loved the venue, and know the guys are going for better for next year.

The atmosphere was fantastic, and i thought the venue terrific.

We also managed to pick up a few exhibition invites for the layout, plus 1 for my new one thats not even finished yet.:yahoo:

So for your first show at this venue, a very well done from me and the crew on Welham Green.:drinks:

cheers

Dave

Thanks for all the Constructive comments, tho i must say im not impressed with one or two comments made by some people, Im glad to report for our first show where we had only a few months to organise the event, we did very well!

Nearly all traders have vowed to come back next year, and not only just come back but help us build on this year and make next year into a show stopping effort, We already have irons in the fire with differnt things which at present i cannot release publicly,

As regaring to the so called 'lighting issue' we felt that the musem is well lit and most Exhibitors opted not to use there seperate lighting rigs for this fact,

and regarding the curtain issue... i muist agree with EvilNoodle thats just damn petty,

The LYDCC group are always looking for peoples constructive critism, and with that the people i spotted wondering round that i know from my local model shop i asked them all to come and find me before they left to inform me of there thoughts, to which they all suggested options of a small scale and were well impressed with our effot!

We aim as a group to be as helpful to jo public, traders and exhibitors alike and the feed back so far is that we are doing well, im not to sure if theres a feeling of sour grapes looming or just idles thumbs behind a screen, but i would have much appreciated if people who had issues such as those posted earlier would have sent a PM personally to the expo team or you could have just easly found one of us at the show and let us know......

I would like to personally thank all the GMTS, traders, exhibitors, societys, other people involved and public that made the our New Manchester show the sucsess it was,

See you all at Rawtenstall if not before :drinks:

Chris Warner

Exhibition Team

LYDCC MRG

I went on Sunday as I was supposed to exhbiting "Denton Ish"

The show was really good and I'm only sorry my layout wasn't ready.

However I've been invited to attend at Rawtenstall in October and am very much looking forward to it

The LYDCC team are very friendly and there are standards of layout at every level.

As I said looking forward to October and being able to show off my work for the first time

Thanks for a great show !

• RMweb Gold

I called in on Sunday for an hour or so, dragging my 4 and 2 year old daughters around with me.

I though the venue was perfect, not crowded and a nice selection of layouts.

Afraid it is difficult so sum up my thoughts on this show without upsetting a few people... had I not been in the area for other reasons and had made the 90 mile trip specially for the exhibition, I would have been rather dissapointed...

I traveled nearer 9 miles than Paul's 90 but I was also a bit disapointed with the show. I don't think it compared very well with either the proper Manchester Show in the City Centre or the Tram Model Show at the same venue.

The only layout that stood out for me was the tram layout but it was stuck in a corner and I nearly missed it. there were two other layouts that when i was there on Saturday afternoon were unstaffed and both just had sound fitted diesel locos stood there chugging not going anywhere.

Sorry if honest opinion is'nt liked by the organisers but thats how I see it.

Dan

(Manchester Transport Museum Society Member)

• RMweb Gold

Dan,

Your entitled to your opinion and it's not going to upset us as organisers, we intend to build on this year's show and learn from any mistakes there were.

But I will say one thing how can you compare this new show with one of the UK's top show's that is now in it's 75th year and one that has been going for over ten years at the venue and has by now got over any initial teething problems.

The Museum were keen to put on some different events at the museum to attract more visitors and they approached LYDCC to assist them, I am also a member of the GMTS (and the MTMS in the past). This approach was last November and in that time we had found 15 layouts and over 15 traders, which was no mean feat. For a first exhbition we had nearly 700 visitors, which some well estabished exhibitons struggle to get these days. The museum were pleased with this as it is more than they used to get on the themed day on the same weekend, so we achieved our intened aim!

Regards,

Peter

Following an apology I have received for the offensive personal insults and accusations made to me by a member of the exhibition team (as I refused to remove the criticisms made in one of the posts) and the concerns raised over this by the Charirman of the club I am re-opening this topic.

Thank you for the action taken.

Archived