Detailing packs for Bachmann A4s

Guest TomTank

Guest TomTank

Evening chaps

I do feel my Bachmann A4s look a little basic alongside my Hornby ones. Is there any detailing backs for sprucing them up out there. You know, front coupling, vac pipes etc?

Cheers

Tom

I don't mean to sound negative but you don't need a detailing kit. Just look around at what people like Gibson produce and you'll see very quickly that picking and choosing parts will achive just what you want. You can easily make vacuum pipes yourself.

If you can get a copy of Iain Rices Detailing RTR Locomotives it has a wealth information in it on just this sort of thing.

HTH

As James says lots of bits available.

You need a good photo to show where the front vac pipe fits.

You need a very bad photo actually as if it is not grossly overexposed you will not be able to see the detail in the shadowy area.

The anti slip treads on th footplate can be done with micro strip section and a spacer.

The cab interior can be improved with odd plasticard bits and a few dabs of paint.

From memory the tender might have the hand rails at the front in the wrong position and/or the curve might be incorrect. If so that is a bit harder to do any thing about.

The cuve at the sides of the smoke box can be waisted in a bit to give a better head on view if you realy want to go to town.

Markit rather than Gibson for the leading and trailing wheels, if my memory is correct, are the nearest to the real thing.

I think that most people would suggest the Irish reply. If you want a good A4 I would not start from here.

Bernard

Guest TomTank

As James says lots of bits available.

You need a good photo to show where the front vac pipe fits.

You need a very bad photo actually as if it is not grossly overexposed you will not be able to see the detail in the shadowy area.

The anti slip treads on th footplate can be done with micro strip section and a spacer.

The cab interior can be improved with odd plasticard bits and a few dabs of paint.

From memory the tender might have the hand rails at the front in the wrong position and/or the curve might be incorrect. If so that is a bit harder to do any thing about.

The cuve at the sides of the smoke box can be waisted in a bit to give a better head on view if you realy want to go to town.

Markit rather than Gibson for the leading and trailing wheels, if my memory is correct, are the nearest to the real thing.

I think that most people would suggest the Irish reply. If you want a good A4 I would not start from here.

Bernard

Haha cheers Bernard

I wouldn't normally be looking again at Bachmann A4s, but I'm after postwar LNER livery and the Miles Beevor model is basically what I need.

Will get the book James suggests.

Thanks chaps, most helpful :)

Tom

Archived