Wagons of the Final Years of British Railways:

Guest 40-something

Joe,

I have the other two volumes which cover 1948 - 1961 between them and can thoroughly recommend them. They are a detailed elaboration on B.R Wagons, the first half million, but contain more detail and photos of the individual wagon types, build dates etc.

Cheers, Peter C.

... however Im wondering if its a re-hash of the Working Wagons titles?

Does anyone know if there are enough new photographs and information to warrant a purchase?

Not a rehash, the two series were/are for different publishers. They're similar in style, although described as a 'pictorial study' the Kestrel ones provide more 'raw' info from Dave's delving into BR records, such as number series of various wagon conversions. Whether such info is useful or just of intrinsic interest depends on your viewpoint, but I'd say if you liked Working Wagons, you'll find these complementary in many ways.

I purchased all 3 books in the series covering the 1948 to 1968 period. I bought from Amazon just before xmas and got all three for a total of approx £28 plus free postage.

Highly recommended as they complement my other wagon books covering this period which include Don Rowland's book and others by David Larkin himself.

Am looking forward to the forthcoming volume covering Ballast Wagons.

Archived