The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Trials and Tribulations with Couriers

TheSignalEngineer

I guess the problem is to do with the fact that if the sender pays the postage they will tend to use the cheapest possible without much regard for the problems that may arise at the receiving end. Even where there is the option of choosing a more expensive delivery method how many of us use it, and do we have any confidence that they are actually any better?

This might change if the retailer has to expend lots of time and money sorting out delivery problems. As our contract is with the retailer perhaps we should complain to them if a delivery issue cannot be easily resolved with the courier. It might also be worth a call to the shop when placing an order, to find out which one they use, and if it turns out to be Cowboys International then politely mention that based on experience you would never order from any firm that uses them??

Had a delivery last year from Parcel Force. Luckily I had the tracking number, and could follow it through their website.

After a couple of attempts at delivery (without bothering to leave cards) it showed as "Left with Post Office". I then called their help desk (which luckily was in the UK - don't get me started on Indian call centres) who were able to tell me which Post Office it was left in (there being more than one in Nottingham!).

The Royal Mail aren't 100% reliable, but things seen to go wrong due to genuine problems rather than laziness or incomptence.

My all time favourite was a delivery driver for an electrical supplier who couldn't find my address because my street must be "new". I've seen my road on medieval maps of the city and it's full of Victorian buildings....

Hmm ... I'd still use Parcelforce/Royal Mail by preference as their success rate is better than most of the others. In 12 years of working from home I've had the usual occasional card pushed through the door to say I'm out, when I've been sitting a few feet away from it, but so far, touch wood, they've not lost anything. I've probably jinxed myself now ... And being able to send things from a local Post Office, with friendly staff who take pride in what they do, is a big plus.

CityLink (them again) have been woeful of late - the tracking system has been helpless, showing stuff loaded on a van for delivery and then delivered two days later (maybe they load things on vans that need servicing or tyres changing?). The best was something delivered a day late, when I was out, the tracking system said "redeliver Monday" and the driver then delivered Sunday evening, to my neighbours! As has been said, they don't answer the phone and they don't reply to emails.

The best company I've found is Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilverms.co.uk/cm/index.html), who I use for exchanging parcels with a client - although the van up here is obviously white self-employed van man, presumably feeding into a distribution depot, he turns up the day they promise, delivers without fuss, and you can actually get through to the main office on the phone and speak to someone who obviously isn't scripted or brain-dead.

David

I ordered a loco from Hattons a while ago and it was sent via DHL, however about a week later Hattons phoned to me to say that it has been returned to them as DHL couldnt find us!!!!

They asked my permission to send it back to me using Royal Mail and it turned up a day or so later, so whenever I order anything from Hattons Im specifing Royal Mail!!

When I order from Hattons I ALWAYS specify for them to use Royal Mail.

Well ive tried a few at work, mainly sending stuff.

City link. Gave them a go, but rather unreliable at picking up. Didnt really have the quantity to keep them happy.

UPS. Never sent anything, but recieve lots. A model of total efficency. NEVER mess up. Stuff from abroad arrives with a bill. I ring up while driver waits to pay by card. Phone always answered straight away.

TNT. We send most stuff out with them. Pretty good. Occasional failure to collect lately though. Always answer the phone when stuff does go wrong and get it sorted. Had a driver throw away a parcel once (discovered by a local who then accused us of illegal dumping!) . He was promptly sacked.

Royal Mail. This lot need to get with the real worl - and fast. The whole thing is laughable. As for the whole queing up to post stuff, dont get me started. Just taken 4 weeks for a parcel of LMS coaches to get to blackburn! Out for delivery for 3 weeks. Can you get an answer. Not likely! the sooner this lot are sold off to a competent organisation the better.

Parcel Farce. As the name suggests. You couldn't make this stuff up. Our first regular collection guy used to sell loads of "stuff" off his van. Cant imagine where this came from. It got better. He went on holiday and the collections stopped. So ring the branch. Nobody answers. For days. Then tfor some bizzarre reason the phone answers itself and we get get to listen to a full blown argument about who should answer the phone. Its then cut off. More calls later, apparantly our parcels are not collected because the driver is on holiday. This is my problem how! Farcical! We had to wait for him to complete his 2 week holiday before any collections started. Whenever he was off, no collection. Better still, about 25% of parcels never made it. Hopeless. They tell you to make a claim. Yet more hours on phones that are not answered. Believe me, you cant run a buisness using these muppets!

And dont even get me started on their "illegal" customs charges.

The conclusion from the above. The most expensive is the best, and the cheapest, the worst.

Archived