The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Which Bob Marley Album?

edcayton

I realised the other day that I had no Bob Marley in my collection. I had watched a TV programme recently which featured Bob's music and what the guy called THE album.

So, my question is which Bob Marley album do I go for?

Ed

It depends on your own taste and what era you're interested in.

I suppose a simple view would say there are three eras of Bob and the Wailers (later to be called Bob Marley and the Wailers) music......

the 60's era - Ska and early Reggae;

the mid 70's The Island records era, during which the Wailers split up and Bobs name was added to the front of the bands name;

and the later mix of more commercial pop stuff from the late 70's until Bob's death.

The earlier 60's stuff may be an acquired taste (it's quite an old sound and recordings are sometimes a bit rough).

You could start with 1973's "Catch a Fire" followed by "Burnin'". There's some nondescript stuff on there, but there are also some classic Rebel songs. Worth checking out for the classics that featured in the mid-70's tours.

Next up, "Natty Dread", the first "Bob Marley and the Wailers" album. A change in sound.

"Rastaman Vibration" was a follow on. Again you have to wade through some so so tracks, but there are some gems in there.

Both recommended.

Then in 1977 came the seminal "Exodus".

The bands first mainstream pop songs "Jammin", "Waiting in Vain", "Three little Birds" and "One Love/People get ready" all came from this album.

Along with "Turn your lights down low" these formed the more commercial Side 2 of the original vinyl album; but Side 1 contains some excellent Roots tunes.

However this Album marked a change into the 3rd and final era of Marley's musical career, where mainstream pop sat side by side with a more rootsy sound.

The album is Definitely Recommended !

The follow up, "Kaya", is a let down by comparison (IIRC it was "panned" by the critics at the time). There are a couple of good tracks, including the pop hit "Is this love", but overall it's an acquired taste IMHO.

"Survival" Recommended.

"Uprising" was the last album released before Bob's death.

Highlights being the pop hit "Could you be loved" and the roots "Zion Train", "Forever loving Jah" and "Redemption song". Otherwise a bit so so.

"Confrontation" was released after Bob's death. A collection of lesser known singles, previously unreleased tracks and rejects from previous albums.

IMHO, not worth bothering with. The absolutely horrible Buffalo Soldier is included. Yuck !

There have been numerous compilation albums over the years. I can't comment on any of those really.

However there are the live albums of which "Live", recorded at the London Lyceum in 1975 stands out and is considered to be Bob Marley's best album of all. The live version of "no woman no cry" comes from this album.

Highly recommended.

Also check out "Live at the Roxy" very similar but an entire concert. It was recorded a year later in Hollywood Ca., but not released until over 20 years after Bob's death.

Highly recommended.

Both those live albums capture the classic mid 70's Bob Marley and the Wailers to a tee.

A good way to check these out is to sign up to We7. It's free (with adverts).

You can listen to all the albums and more completely free of charge. (Similar to Spotify)

http://www.we7.com/a...ete-Concert?m=0

Archived