Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR stable buildings

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if anyone has any info/references on how the stables would look at a medium-to-large GWR through station around the 1900s?

Looking through my books and the modeling press (incl. a generic drawing in RM Jan 97) tends to bring up the apparently “standard†design of a small stable building as illustrated by Chipping Norton here. I actually have an old card kit for that design stashed away somewhere (I forget the name of the range), which could provide some dimensions for a scratched building.

But that design seems to be fairly small, and I am not sure if they are appropriate for my period and a large-ish station?

• RMweb Gold

The Chipping Norton stables are identical to those at Minehead and various other locations around the GW Network. I have some scale plans if you wish. Note that the large end double doors were often later additions once horses had been replaced with motor lorries and the stables converted to garages.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for these answers.

Doug's example from Witney is just the sort of thing I had in mind, ie a stable block that was a little larger than the smaller standard design. It seems basically to be an extended version of the smaller design? Many thanks for your kind offer Ikcdab, I'll see what type I decide on before troubling you. Dilbert, I'll see if I can get hold of GWR Country Stations, it's time I got it anyway!

Meanwhile, here's a few examples of some rather larger GWR stables!

http://www.flickr.co...mmm/3875180482/

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhd704.htm

I can go one better than photographs, being quite heavily in to the history of railway horses and horse related buildings, I have a book called Great Western Horse Power by Janet Russell.

This has a quite a good selection of plans of GWR stables, unfortunately putting these directly onto the forum would most likely be a breach of copyright, however, I will scan whatever you want and email/PM them to you.

Plans as follows:

Weston-Super-Mare - 20 stalls,

Hayle - 6 stalls - 2 pages, good drawings

Hayes - 6 stalls

Hayes & Harlington - 10 stalls - unusual building shape

Westbury - 5 stalls - nice archtectural details on building

Castle Cary - 4 stalls - small building quite plain

Uxbridge - 9 stalls - very clear plan, probably what you are looking for.

Park Royal - 12 stalls - very poor quality drawing same style building as Westbury but longer.

Mint Stables - stupid amount of stalls accross 3 levels, pages and pages of plans!

There are also drawings of pretty much all GWR road vehicles in here as well as loads of photographs of horses and related buildings.

If you want to go really silly, I can even email you the plans for the new smiths forge to be built at Paddington

Archived