Lance Mindheim presentation at Cocoa Beach

CraigZ

I made the 600 schlep down the east coast of the United States ( http://maps.google.c...266&ie=UTF8&z=7) to the Prototype Modelers meet at Cocoa Beach. About 260 people showed up from all over the United States and Canada. Big full schedule of clinics and presentations; I went to Lance Mindheim's yesterday and he has really made me rethink my layout ideas and concepts. His modeling of CSX in Miami is excellent in the way it captures the sheer ordinary appearance of scenes and places without overdoing it. Ideas about cropping scenes instead of compressing scenes; ideas about leaving 'plain' space between scenes...it all looked great and makes sense. I also told him he's a bit of a celebrity here on RMweb - he was amused :)

it is a shame others in the hobby don't give him the credit or talk more about him. Lucky you to attend such an event. I had to settle for football (US), and was happy to see the Greenbay Packers and Seattle Seahawks win this weekend)

Does Lance's ideas about "cropping rather than compressing" involve vignettes of scenes? I was thinking of "framing" scenes almost like a succession of large dioramas. I do understand the concept of "cropping" (I think so anyway! It's something I've been toying with in a halfhearted way).

Do you think that anyone who organized this event will uploading photos and information onto a website?

Thanks, Craig.

Best, Pete

Does Lance's ideas about "cropping rather than compressing" involve vignettes of scenes? I was thinking of "framing" scenes almost like a succession of large dioramas. I do understand the concept of "cropping" (I think so anyway! It's something I've been toying with in a halfhearted way).

Do you think that anyone who organized this event will uploading photos and information onto a website?

Thanks, Craig.

Best, Pete

Pete, that's pretty much it. The example he used was the typical modeler trick of 'filling' in 'dead' spaces - parking lots, etc - with structures that have sidings to make them 'useful'. He suggests rather than doing that or trying to cram 3 city blocks of buildings onto one block that we simply model the one block and lose the other two blocks. He showed photos of one of his layouts where he replicated a non-rail-served block almost exactly...he narrowed a vacant tree-filled lot and took about 20% off the side of one longer building, but otherwise it was to scale. And looking at photos of the model and the prototype, it worked superbly.

Photos - usually somebody posts a set of photos from the event...web page is here http://prototyperails.com/

I also told him he's a bit of a celebrity here on RMweb - he was amused :)

Probably because UK modellers can relate to the shelf layout, but had never thought of building an urban switching layout that didn't involve large brick built warehouses along the backscene.

That's something I did with my first Interurban Traction layout, modelling key features from the chosen route to add operational interest and viewing pleasure through seeing the train actually going somewhere. It worked mainly because the trains were short (1 loco and no more than a couple of cars), so you didn't see the effect of the train filling large parts of the layout at any one time.

I got two of his books over Xmas (the third is stuck in the snowmail backlog!)

His thinking seems sound (his modelling ability has never been in doubt) - and his designs seem to give a great deal of operational interest for the size. I'm envisaging an Industrial zone in western Italy as one possible layout idea - but I'm having a hard time giving up the idea of a usable main line. However, my loft space is limited so I expect I shall come round to the idea of an industrial zone without passenger facilities.

Probably because UK modellers can relate to the shelf layout, but had never thought of building an urban switching layout that didn't involve large brick built warehouses along the backscene.

The other thing he's done is emphasise 'car spots' over 'number of sidings'. One long siding with 7 car spots is more of a switching challenge (and more realistic looking) than several short sidings holding a couple of cars each. B)

The other thing he's done is emphasise 'car spots' over 'number of sidings'. One long siding with 7 car spots is more of a switching challenge (and more realistic looking) than several short sidings holding a couple of cars each. B)

While it may not quite be "cricket" for a British-themed layout, I've done something quite similar on Ettinsmoor. The goods siding has seven wagon spots.

I got two of his books over Xmas (the third is stuck in the snowmail backlog!)

His thinking seems sound (his modelling ability has never been in doubt) - and his designs seem to give a great deal of operational interest for the size. I'm envisaging an Industrial zone in western Italy as one possible layout idea - but I'm having a hard time giving up the idea of a usable main line. However, my loft space is limited so I expect I shall come round to the idea of an industrial zone without passenger facilities.

Jon ,

have you thought about modelling a commuter rail station as part of your industrial area? Some of the modern outfits operate quite short trains of 2 or 3 double deck trailers with a loco in push-pull mode , so depending upon where your layout is set you could either use an exisiting operator , or possibly create a freelance operator using locos and stock typical to these services.

Athearn produce the Bombardier double deck cars in a variety of liveries , and also the F59PHI diesel used by some agencies (ie Metrolink in LA , Trinity Rail Express in Dallas/Forth Worth , Coaster in San Diego and Sounder in Seattle) ; Music City Star in Nashville runs a couple of ex-Amtrak F40PH diesels with second hand double deck cars obtained from Chicago Metra.

hope this gives you a few ideas.

Jon ,

have you thought about modelling a commuter rail station as part of your industrial area? Some of the modern outfits operate quite short trains of 2 or 3 double deck trailers with a loco in push-pull mode , so depending upon where your layout is set you could either use an exisiting operator , or possibly create a freelance operator using locos and stock typical to these services.

Athearn produce the Bombardier double deck cars in a variety of liveries , and also the F59PHI diesel used by some agencies (ie Metrolink in LA , Trinity Rail Express in Dallas/Forth Worth , Coaster in San Diego and Sounder in Seattle) ; Music City Star in Nashville runs a couple of ex-Amtrak F40PH diesels with second hand double deck cars obtained from Chicago Metra.

hope this gives you a few ideas.

Thanks. Its something I've thought about, in both US and European contexts. Haven't made it work in my head yet though...

Archived