Cleaning a steam loco on film

hoovernut

Thanks for sharing. What a fascinating piece of footage. I had no idea just how much was involved (with so many men) not to mention the time-scale of this process. The men all looked a bit morose… whether that's because they were being filmed or just because of the work! I really felt for the poor sod who had to clean the inside of the firebox! Respect!

Sort of takes the glamour out of steam doesn't it?

A dirty and very manual job and not for the claustrophobic (not that such objections would have been recognised). Manual labour was cheap although the demarcation of jobs later made it more expensive.

Volunteers required to clean preserved locos?

Labour was cheap but not as cheap as today. Something to consider! There was at least work for the unskilled in those days. I was never required to go inside a firebox and would have refused anyway. A railwayman of small stature who was well past retirement age did this job at the shed where I worked. He loved it because it meant he didn't have to sit alone in his home all day.

I did my share of disposing if the hours allowed at the end of a run. Not a pleasant task at the best of times. I wonder if YouTube has footage of removing firebars before raking out part of the fire?:O

• RMweb Gold

No H&S to speak of just gloves, an old rag and a tiny mask. I bet things are different today on the preserved lines. safety glasses and reams of forms.

Very few forms and not a vast amount of paper once the basics are written down but a lot more recording of mechanical etc work carried out and far more comprehensive loco/vehicle records than BR ever heldrolleyes.gif (if the job is being done correctly that is)

Archived